• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Hey, my first thread in a long time that isn't news!

I've had LinkedIn for a long time. Basically since it started. Slowly started adding skills there. When I started actively looking for a job at the end of last year, I tossed up a basic resume on indeed, got one interview offer. First was phone, second was in person, and they hired me on the spot. Being a housewife for 17 years, I was kinda blown away. A job at a publically traded marketing company? Felt like I lucked out.

The job is extremely stressful, but I'm doing surprisingly well, even got awards for being a top performer last month. This company has an 80% turn over rate in the first year. I might have discovered a reason beyond the stress of the job.

Suddenly, on LinkedIn, I'm getting dms from job recruiters every week. Is this a just a thing that happens once you actually have a job, or is ir solely because of where I work?

Sorry for the tldr, I just haven't had any experience in the modern working world and wanted to ask those who've been there a long time. Is this normal?

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Totally normal. LinkedIn has premium subscriptions and products geared toward helping sales employees and recruiters to find prospects. Now that you're working, recruiters focused on marketing roles in you're region are finding your profile and reaching out in the hopes that you want to leave your stressful job for something new :)

LinkedIn is most valuable for these sales/recruiter people and any professionals who have a personal brand they're building, so you'll see them most active on the platform.

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
A lot of spam comes from job boards, LinkedIn, Indeed, etc. More often than not, these so called recruiters fulfill quotas or build a database of potential candidates. A lot of the times they can't even get your name right, pick you out of a keyword search, or just copy & paste templates.

Don't waste your time with recruiters unless it's direct/internal recruiters with the actual company.

OP
OP
Fiction

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Totally normal. LinkedIn has premium subscriptions and products geared toward helping sales employees and recruiters to find prospects. Now that you're working, recruiters focused on marketing roles in you're region are finding your profile and reaching out in the hopes that you want to leave your stressful job for something new :)

Okay cool :)

I just accepted an offer from a recruiter to discuss a position because it pays a lot more it looks like. Also has a similar "fun start up" culture. And free lunch! (Which my current job has as well but its kinda gross sometimes lol)

A lot of spam comes from job boards, LinkedIn, Indeed, etc. More often than not, these so called recruiters fulfill quotas or build a database of potential candidates. A lot of the times they can't even get your name right, pick you out of a keyword search, or just copy & paste templates.

Don't waste your time with recruiters unless it's direct/internal recruiters with the actual company.

Yeah one called me at work. Said she'd call the next day during my lunch break and I never heard from her. I am interested in moving up (my current company has a three month intensive teaining period that's apparently one of the best in the industry) bir I don't want to move sideway onto a similarly stressful job

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed with this. I will never engage with a recruiter or salesperson unless I get a very personalized message. Most of it is spammy. But if something seems like a good fit for you, it never hurts to talk.

Oct 28, 2017
This has been my experience when it comes to internships. I had a lot of trouble getting my first internship. After I got that and was able to throw up some work experience, I've been having people reach out to me left and right. I'm set for my third internship now and it has allowed me to jump up to a bigger company each time.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I got a job offer from a startup firm based in California based on my Github account. Never LinkedIn

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

Totally disagree.

Yes there are spam recruiters. But they are real jobs. In fact a lot of companies use multiple recruiting agencies at the same time. I've been hit up for the same position by three different companies for a job at exxon. All three recruiters would probably qualify as spam recruiters. Most often they are Indian natives their emails and phone calls are in English but it doesn't feel like "American" English.

My current position I got through one of these recruiters contracted to IBM, contracted to a defense contractor.

So yes OP it is normal, especially once you have skills listed on your resume and on LinkedIn.

The annoying ones are the ones that reach out and just assume you want to relocate to some other city.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE="Fiction, post: 5721275, member: 1161"
Suddenly, on LinkedIn, I'm getting dms from job recruiters every week. Is this a just a thing that happens once you actually have a job, or is ir solely because of where I work?

Sorry for the tldr, I just haven't had any experience in the modern working world and wanted to ask those who've been there a long time. Is this normal?[/QUOTE]
It's a little bit of both. Recruiters LOVE people from top companies. And they also love people who actually have a job. I think I got my foot in a lot of doors with a couple companies' names on my resume.

I got my current job from seeing it posted on LinkedIn by a recruiter (who I was contacts with because she'd headhunted me on LinkedIn for another job some years ago; got that job and it was great just like this one). My husband got his job of almost 6 years at a big public company after being contacted by one of their internal recruiters on LinkedIn. It's a great site.

Vctor182

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this because I got a job offer from LinkedIn and I'm being very wary about this. The offer seems very good to be true

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I just accepted an offer from a recruiter to discuss a position because it pays a lot more it looks like. Also has a similar "fun start up" culture. And free lunch! (Which my current job has as well but its kinda gross sometimes lol)
As someone who lived that life for 4 years, CHECK THE BENEFITS.

Free lunch came at the expense of proper health care for a year.

Bumping this because I got a job offer from LinkedIn and I'm being very wary about this. The offer seems very good to be true

Check them out. If they aren't requiring any sort of major upheaval, there's no reason not to go in for an interview.

Unfortunately for me, the only job offers I've gotten through LI are across the country.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I actually have an in-person interview next week for a much higher paying job after a recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn so it can definitely work.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I get at least two requests for an interview per week through LinkedIn. I am not looking so I say "thank you for the consideration but I am currently not looking for a new job."

They are almost all recruiters looking to make commission on getting you to change jobs.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I work in a relatively tight-knit industry so there's less risk of scams because, at a certain point, everyone knows eachother (or can easily ask around to make sure stuff is legit).

It's not uncommon for job offers to come through LinkedIn, just be sure to read your contract closely.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they added the "not looking" switch in the settings to cutdown on a lot of this stuff recently.

But yeah, as others have said, perfectly normal.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
It's quite common, depending on the field.
I have friends in engineering who get offers every single week.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
The job market is pretty damn hot right now, at least in my industry. I'm getting anywhere from 3-5 recruiters reaching out about different jobs per week.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Job offers on LinkedIn are legit. Engage the recruiter asap cause you are not the only one they are talking to. Find out about the company later, you can always decline the job later.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I get linked in approaches all the time - most of the time it's just as the same as getting calls - most of the people who contact you want to offer positions that are wholly unsuitable (based upon vaguely relevant roles rather than something that's suitable, or in locations far away and expect you to relocate) - these guys are the ones who offer you positions because they themselves have a quota to make to at least make approaches.

The better recruiters are those that actually take time to learn what you might be interested in and go back and look around for just that - they're the ones you really want to "connect" with on LinkedIn - they're usually those that are actually useful should you decide to look for another position elsewhere.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
They're often not job offers exactly, but recruiters. I must get like ~10 a week. Not interested in leaving my employer right now, but of course, I know when I'm actually going to be looking for a new employer, that I won't get any.

It's not an accident or a scam though. This is an affect of a very strong job market, especially in specific fields like tech, biomed, etc.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my area (DC) people get hit up by recruiters all the time because the job market is super tight.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Make sure that the offer is from an internal company recruiter.

Tons of 3rd party recruiters use the site and that's fine but the best results I've seen have come from internal recruiters.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
LinkedIn is legit and most dealings on there are legit. I encourage all working professionals to make an account on there.

Now that doesn't mean some "Network Marketer" won't try to scam you with a Business Opportunity, but those are few and far between in my experience.

Also, like others have said, job market is great right now. As an electrical PE, I have recruiters contacting me all the time.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's normal, but I think you can also note in your profile that you're not interested in looking for a job?

Edit: under career interests, you can toggle the recruiters option on or off.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's normal to get phone screen and interview requests from LinkedIn. It's NOT normal to get straight up unsolicited job offers from there. Think about what kind of company would make offers before screening candidates, and ask yourself if those are places you'd like to work.

Dragonelite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They're often not job offers exactly, but recruiters. I must get like ~10 a week. Not interested in leaving my employer right now, but of course, I know when I'm actually going to be looking for a new employer, that I won't get any.

It's not an accident or a scam though. This is an affect of a very strong job market, especially in specific fields like tech, biomed, etc.

Same with soft development.

Vctor182

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that they're offering me a work from home job and the employer is in the USA, I'm in Mexico so it sounds too good to be true