• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
So I just tried Link's Awkening recently having known about it's frame rate problems beforehand.
But I'm kinda shocked as to just how bad they are.
As soon as you start moving in the overworld you feel the 60fps target drop heavily.
It feels like you can't even move without causing the frame rate to tank.
But it also feels like Link's movement slows as well, like moving through treacle.
Is the frame rate tied to the game logic? Surely not.

Either way I am astounded Nintendo let this be released in this state.
It's shockingly bad and needs some massive improvements.

I hope the developers are working on an update, because to leave it in this state is dreadful.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is shocking but you're about to get lots of people claiming they don't notice or it doesn't affect them.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
It is super jarring and I never don't notice it. I consider it a game ruining experience, especially after the buttery smoothness of ALBW's 60 fps.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It is shocking but you're about to get lots of people claiming they don't notice or it doesn't affect them.
The only framerate drops I ever saw the entire time were during screen transitions, and they weren't that common or severe. I fully believe it's just one of those random things that performs like shit on some systems whereas it's perfectly fine on others for whatever reason.

Just because your experience was the former doesn't mean everyone who says otherwise is full of shit.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like I'm immune to it because my favourite console is N64. It's pretty severe at times but just trucking along and it's definitely not hampering my enjoyment of the game.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I just grew up with the N64 and don't see framerate issues as a problem.

In fact, as a kid, my reaction to slowdowns were "whoa, this section is so intense that the framerate can't keep up!!" and saw that as something impressive.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
It's definitely intense. I notice it every time I enter the overworld again. It's a shame it's a problem with the game. I learned to kind of tune it out. I wasn't about to let it ruin such a great game, but it's still a bummer and I expected better tbh.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
I stutters a bit when transitioning to the villages, but it doesn't affect me at all.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
I can notice it but really I don't care. Doesn't ruin the experience. Like all the moaning about the frames on Dead Cells which I genuinely didn't notice.

FPS only really matters to me where shooting is involved or DMC style action. This game is nice and slow.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
this is a game that i have no interest in in its current state but a patch would make me buy it at $60 in 2 seconds.
I'm in this boat, which is a huge shame as it's one of my favourite games.
I tried my brothers copy and its crazy how it could be released in this state given it's a nintendo first party title and one of their biggest franchises, i'm just worried that if most people are ok with this then nintendo might start cutting corners on other games moving forwards.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
It's a little better on a fresh reboot of the console.
The blur around the edges on the overworld bothers me a lot more though.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

You won't find that many people who'll claim they don't notice.
You'll find a lot of people who will inform you that they simply don't care because the game still looks / plays super well.

Nov 8, 2017
It's very noticable and very frequent during overworld traversal. Like not enough to completely ruin the game, but the double buffered v-sync implementation causing it to drop to 30 as soon as it can't hold 60 (with nothing inbetween) REALLY excasserbates what would otherwise probably just be a slight irritation.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Nintendo just targeted 50-60fps uncapped, rather than double buffered vsync (you only get 30fps or 60fps).

OP
OP
Mars People

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It's very noticable and very frequent during overworld traversal. Like not enough to completely ruin the game, but the double buffered v-sync implementation causing it to drop to 30 as soon as it can't hold 60 (with nothing inbetween) REALLY excasserbates what would otherwise probably just be a slight irritation.
This is the key issue I think.
Why on earth would they use double buffer vsync?
Bouncing between 60-30- 60-30 is nausiating.

I was more surprised that the framerate problems hit straight away. You walk out of the first house with nothing happening and the framerate just tanks. Its bizarre.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Classic internet hyperbole.
Slowdows are definitely there, but ruining the game, really? It's a totally subjective thing at best.

As a person who's beaten the game, I would also argue it affects like 10-20% of the whole playthrough. Is it ok, is it too much? I don't know, but it certainly didn't prevent me from spending ~20 pleasant hours.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Framerate got so bad for me it actually hit 0 a couple times

when I turned the game off

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those games that would actually benefit from a 30fps cap as it would be less jarring.

Nov 4, 2017
It's definitely bad, but I love the game so much that I powered through it.

The resolution drops for things like picking up/throwing pots was pretty bad too.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
A lot of Zelda fans dont seem to care and I dont think Nintendo has even acknowledged the issues at all, so I'd be surprised if there was a patch.

MajorTom

Nov 5, 2017
England
I want to go back to this game and finish it. But the framerate issues put me off every time i think about playing it.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I immediately noticed the frame rate issue, which is a shame because the art style is beautiful and the game is fun. I didn't find it super game breaking but it's definitely annoying and it's understandable why others wouldn't want to deal with it. Some zones seemed worse than others like the swamp.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
After a while I got used to it but when I was first playing it was giving me a headache, it's a shame because it's a really good looking fun game. They should have just capped the frame rate at 30, the funny thing is Digital Foundry couldn't really work out what was causing the slowdown.

lexible

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm barely an hour or two in because of this issue. I cannot tolerate such frequent drops from 60fps, I would go as far to say drops from 30fps are less jarring.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what Nintendo is thinking. Just tweak the settings, lower the fidelity. Nobody will notice. The framerate issues? Most people will notice.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty bad, but I did get used to it. Still hopefully they will fix it.

Yeah, fuck them, how dare they have an opinion.

I assume that poster doesn't mean the "I don't notice it but it still sucks it is bad for a lot of people" but means the "I don't notice it so everybody that does is just complaining about nothing and hyperbolic" people. First is fine, second are idiots.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I notice it but I feel like it doesn't really matter, it's not like it's some twitch action game.

I beat it 100% and never felt bothered by it.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's very noticeable, but then I just play and enjoy an immensely well-designed game.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, as someone that complains about frame rate/game performance a lot, and suffers badly from motion sickness in a lot of games (I have to avoid most games which run at 30) it really didn't seem like a big deal.
I'm not sure why that is, as it seems like something which should bother me more. Maybe my focus is mostly on Link rather than the backgrounds?

I would certainly like to see a "performance mode" for the game, as people with hacked Switches seem to have had success getting it to run at a mostly-locked 60 by running it in the resolution of handheld mode with the CPU and GPU set to match the standard docked clockspeed.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed it, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the game. I waited a week or two from launch and by then, it was obvious they weren't going to patch it, so I played through the whole thing. After all the complaining, I was expecting it to be terrible, but it didn't bother me.

The blurred edges were kind of irritating.

OP
OP
Mars People

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I remember someone suggesting a while ago that maybe the framerate problems were caused because the game was trying to render the whole open world (or a massive part of it at once).
I feel this is unlikely, but it is weird.
The game drops to 30 when basically nothing is happening on screeen.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
I definitely is there, it definitely is noticeable, it definitely is bad, and it definitely shouldn't be there. But it didn't stop me thoroughly enjoying the game.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Different people have different tolerances.

For me personally, regardless of the quality of the game itself, it's game breaking because my brain gets distracted by it constantly. It's totally immersion breaking.

But for others, they don't even notice or care.

Unlocked framerates and/or judder are intolerable for me sadly. I wish it didn't bother me but it's a subconscious reaction as much as conscious.