• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
After playing over 30 minutes of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remastered for Nintendo Switch I learned three main things: The combat feels great, old-school Zelda puzzles are still fun (and unchanged), and this game is struggling to perform acceptably on the Switch (at least in full-screen mode on a TV) in its current state.

Unfortunately, as screens scrolled and enemies flew, Link's Awakening became visibly choppy. I talked to others who were playing and they all experienced this same issue. It didn't interrupt my Moblin killing spree in the forest, but the choppiness was always there, sullying the otherwise gorgeous, toy-like art style.

I know it's WIP. Here's hoping we get smooth 60fps come launch.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I highly doubt the framerate won't be consistent. The game has a little ways off, they will fix it

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect it'll be fixed. Nintendo don't settle for less with these things.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Not too worried. Most Nintendo games get really good polish, and this game seems like the type that should be somewhat easier to optimize (since the camera can't look around sides and you can guess what will always show on screen). Looking forward to the game!

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I saw it a little choppy on a livestream. I'm sure it will be fixed by launch. They got three more months to polish it up, and this is an E3 demo after all.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Probably an older build that they brought to E3. No doubt in my mind that it'll be solid 60fps at release.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an E3 build. I don't put too much stock in performance for early demos where a game is being made available to an event for the very first time.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Hopefully they fix that up. Probably my most hyped Switch release for the foreseeable future.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a demo. I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Demos are specialized slices that are often further behind, and optimizations are usually made at the tail end of development. Plus Nintendo is usually pretty cognizant of frame rate issues

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they optimize it (which I have faith they will) the difference in frame rate from indoors to outdoors seeks jarring. Hope they can solution that too somehow.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed the FPS dips especially when you get to the part where the monkey is throwing stuff at you from the tree. There was a noticeable drop that was worrying. I really hope they can clean that up because I would love for them to use this same engine/style for future remakes or other 2d/topdown zelda games.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
They've got enough time to optimize until the game's out (plus patches as well if needed). I've got faith :).

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
It was pretty obvious from the Treehouse stream that the game is using a double buffered v-sync solution and most parts of the overworld were being pushed down to 30 fps. It looked like a solid 60 fps in dungeons and even some parts of the overworld (right outside of Dampe's hut, for example was a locked 60) so I believe Nintendo is currently optimizing and getting it to run at 60 fps everywhere. No need to be concerned IMO.

Edit: Most of Nintendo's other games use double-buffered v-sync and have no framerate issues. I doubt this one will be any different.

Edit 2: For those not familiar with double-buffered v-sync, it means that any dip below 60 fps (even if it's only a frame or two) the game drops down to 30 fps as long as it needs to catch up. So the game/system could potentially be able to run the game at 55 fps but would still be crunched down to 30 because of the double-buffer. It was obvious from the footage that this was happening for longer amounts of time, but in the finished product it should be ironed out.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
It's irrelevant since this isn't a finished game, but you can see drops here:

at around 5:20-5:40

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Even if they optimize it (which I have faith they will) the difference in frame rate from indoors to outdoors seeks jarring. Hope they can solution that too somehow.
I noticed the FPS dips especially when you get to the part where the monkey is throwing stuff at you from the tree. There was a noticeable drop that was worrying. I really hope they can clean that up because I would love for them to use this same engine/style for future remakes or other 2d/topdown zelda games.

Does the game target 60 or 30fps?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they'll optimize it — Nintendo games consistently have smooth frame rates — but it's still a bit odd, since historically even their E3 demos run perfectly smooth.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This game is so good looking. Hope they clean it up. Would suck if it was marred by framerate issues on release.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
It was pretty obvious from the Treehouse stream that the game is using a double buffered v-sync solution and most parts of the overworld were being pushed down to 30 fps. It looked like a solid 60 fps in dungeons and even some parts of the overworld (right outside of Dampe's hut, for example was a locked 60) so I believe Nintendo is currently optimizing and getting it to run at 60 fps everywhere. No need to be concerned IMO.

Thanks for sharing this info.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
albw certainly targeted 60fps, and it was a very smooth game when it hit it, but it had its moments. specifically anything with the wall mechanic (causing the camera to change perspective), moments that pushed a ton of polygons, and moments with many enemies on screen

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Does the game target 60 or 30fps?
It has a 60fps cap. From what I can see, the problem with the E3 build is that there's no inbetween. If it drops below 60, it drops all the way down to 30. Hopefully they optimize this. It was pretty obvious in the stream.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
People: WHY NO GAMEPLAY IN THIS E3?!?!?!

Nintendo: Here's gameplay of an unfinished game...

People: FRAMERATE CHOPPY!! PRE-ORDER CANCELLED!!!!

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo games seemingly always get performance boosts between E3 and release in some form or another. Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey for example. I wouldn't worry too much.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I wasn't very interested in this game when it was first revealed, but after the next new Zelda disappointingly (so far for me) being a sequel to BotW, I'm looking forward to Link's Awakening more now and hopefully this will be fixed by release.
People: WHY NO GAMEPLAY IN THIS E3?!?!?!

Nintendo: Here's gameplay of an unfinished game...

People: FRAMERATE CHOPPY!! PRE-ORDER CANCELLED!!!!
This terrible and sad kind of argument, which I've been seeing more often now (and maybe I have been guilty of in the past, not sure), needs to go. We're here to discuss things, the same people claiming A aren't necessarily the same people claiming B so it only detracts from what should be encouraged in a discussion forum.