• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Exactly!!!! Everyone in this forum knows this isn't a finished game and people still bitching and complaining. This is why E3 is trash now and no developer shows any real gameplay anymore.
Might as well close the forum if people can't discuss about stuff we're seeing without somehow other users getting their panties in a twist. Holy shit people, it's not like users are throwing rocks at Nintendo here.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna say I saw some other people note this, but... Trade Show builds (demos, etc.) are often from older builds of the game, rather than reflective of where the main game is. They often branch off, and then work and prep a demo based off of current code that was from the branch at the time. This, unfortunately can result of various issues that are present in the demo builds, but have since long been fixed in the main branch. But yeah, demo builds and the like can be months behind where the current branch is.

But yeah, that's atypical par for the course for any trade show showings of games. I'll admit I was surprised Nintendo was okay showing the new dungeon system on stream and continued to show it despite the borked lighting going on there, but I suppose you can't always account for bugs to crop up on live demonstrations.

(And don't worry, this isn't to handwave concern. They are legit concerns. Just wanted to maybe give some people a little more comfort about these issues they were noticing.)

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is that some of it will be ironed out by launch, but that the game will play best on the upcoming new Switch skus with the cpu and ram bumps.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
I watched the gameplay demo and didn't think it was that bad but hopefully any issues are just because it's an early build and will be fixed by launch.

It's really sad to see posts like this that are so derisive towards what has been a reasonable discussion and reaction.
The Irony is post like that are usually more frequent and annoying then actual bad posts lol.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm a bit worried. I'm sure it'll be optimized quite well by release...but I'm still worried. I'm super excited for this game and want it to be perfect.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Optimization is often one of the last things a developer does. You need to know your overall render budget to understand where you can cut, hide or fix performance hogs. I wouldn't wig out about this, this is why it's a demo and not a thing in a box yet

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Does the game target 60 or 30fps?
It seems like the game targets 60 FPS indoors, and 30 FPS on the overworld.
It appears to be using double-buffered V-Sync though, which means that if it drops frames it will drop from 60 to 30 in dungeons, or 30 to 20 on the overworld.

I was scanning through the demo, and here's an example where you can see that some rooms run at 60 but others run at 30:

(23:05)

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. It feels like Switch performance is all over the place. Isn't Odyssey a perfect 60? And it's a visual feat.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is actually not out yet OP. Comes out September so your information will more than likely be incorrect by the time of release.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Okay I didn't watch the full demo yesterday but I thought I noticed this too. When she was cutting grass at one point it went real choppy.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BoTW still have hard drops.
BotW had to get post launch patches to get better performance. They ported it to Switch without optimizing it, and even then it had better performance than the Wii U version, which was optimized on the Wii U.

Bruh the last Zelda game was anything but smooth at launch. Could not hold 30fps on Switch.
We're also talking about a top down Zelda compared to sprawling open world with hundreds of things on screen.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Whilst I do agree with the general sentiment regarding not moaning about frame rate on a demo... the game is out in 3 months, and Nintendo take around 2 months to get the game gold, onto carts, packaged and distributed globally out of Japan... so yea, I don't think the concern is as unwarranted as some are making out. That said, optimising a finished game for 4 weeks by an experienced development team doesn't sound too crazy either. We will have to see - I expect it to be flawless upon release though.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Is there an example of a 1st party Nintendo game in recent memory that stuttered terribly but ran fine at launch?
Probably almost all of them. Every time we get "jeez this looks awful", and then at release "what the heck it looks good now ?!"

Back on topic, Ash from GameXplain reported on that too, and his followers yelled at him, like what the fuck. Dude is reporting what he saw, but they were "who care, it's going to be good anyway !", poor Ash.

Last edited:

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I hate the fact they target 30fps on the overworld. It should be locked 60 everywhere. This is not a game like BotW.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
seems a little malicious to report on this as it's literally a prerelease build of a game that's a bit further out

Are you serious with this take?

It seems like the game targets 60 FPS indoors, and 30 FPS on the overworld.
It appears to be using double-buffered V-Sync though, which means that if it drops frames it will drop from 60 to 30 in dungeons, or 30 to 20 on the overworld.

I was scanning through the demo, and here's an example where you can see that some rooms run at 60 but others run at 30:

(23:05)

Wait a minute, does it drop from 30-20fps as well? Thank you for sharing this info.

This game is actually not out yet OP. Comes out September so your information will more than likely be incorrect by the time of release.

Read the OP or my subsequent comments.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As many have already said the framerate will be fine at launch. It's Nintendo after all.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's important for outlets to document it? Are you serious?

I think so. Pre-release feedback is important. I'm sure Nintendo is well aware of the framerate issues, but the more it's pointed out, the greater chance they'll focus on performance optimization prior to launch.

I'm quite happy this thread was made and I hope more forums and outlets point it out.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
It was pretty obvious from the Treehouse stream that the game is using a double buffered v-sync solution and most parts of the overworld were being pushed down to 30 fps. It looked like a solid 60 fps in dungeons and even some parts of the overworld (right outside of Dampe's hut, for example was a locked 60) so I believe Nintendo is currently optimizing and getting it to run at 60 fps everywhere. No need to be concerned IMO.

Edit: Most of Nintendo's other games use double-buffered v-sync and have no framerate issues. I doubt this one will be any different.

Edit 2: For those not familiar with double-buffered v-sync, it means that any dip below 60 fps (even if it's only a frame or two) the game drops down to 30 fps as long as it needs to catch up. So the game/system could potentially be able to run the game at 55 fps but would still be crunched down to 30 because of the double-buffer. It was obvious from the footage that this was happening for longer amounts of time, but in the finished product it should be ironed out.

Thanks for this information.

My hopes are now for 60FPS on release! Sure it will be if that's what they are targeting.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I think so. Pre-release feedback is important. I'm sure Nintendo is well aware of the framerate issues, but the more it's pointed out, the greater chance they'll focus on performance optimization prior to launch.

Nah, this is crap. Document it, really?

"Twas June 11, 2019 when I saw it. The most disturbing of drops".

I mean, c'mon. It's a game in the middle of being made and people want it known to all that it is a bit choppy.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did you play XC2? Cause they def settled there.
I kinda look at Nintendo EPD differently than I do MonolithSoft. Plus, I don't think Link's Awakening is being rushed to meet the market, or else it wouldn't be a September release when they seem to have a big empty space in their December schedule.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, this is crap. Document it, really?

"Twas June 11, 2019 when I saw it. The most disturbing of drops".

I mean, c'mon. It's a game in the middle of being made and people want it known to all that it is a bit choppy.

I think you're taking "document" too literally. People just mean it should be pointed out in previews and hands-on impressions.

skysthelimit

Jan 16, 2019
This is the game I'm most excited for this year! Can't say I'm at all worried about this at the moment, plenty of time for it to be sorted.

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
Anyone else notice the light glitches on the Treehouse demo? They were pretty noticeable during the dungeon maker section.

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
Anyone else notice the light glitches on the Treehouse demo? They were pretty noticeable during the dungeon maker section.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What a ridiculous, fear-mongering thread. Games in development aren't finished, news at 11.