• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I think you're taking "document" too literally. People just mean it should be pointed out in previews and hands-on impressions.

As it should, but maybe closer to release day. Its not like these guys dont know what they're doing.

This is bordering on the lazy dev argument. "If we dont point it out, they wont bother fixing it"

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
It's important for outlets to document it? Are you serious?

Yes, one of the past criticisms of games journalism (and I'm far from a 'games journalism doomsayer') is that their preview coverage was too glowing and pr-like for games that ended up being terrible. They need to report things as they see them, for us, the consumers. Your favorite game will survive unscathed if the finished product turns out well.

It's also a great resource for game historians, to be able to document the journey a game took from development to finished product. Unfortunately, we don't have enough of this info on earlier games that were previewed to the press (at CES, etc).

I'm not sure what you see as the drawbacks to reporting this information, I'd be interested to hear your perspective! But I'm willing to drop it as I didn't think it would upset you so!

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
I noticed bad FPS and screen tearing playing the demo yesterday. Was straining my eyes after a bit. Confident they'll fix it.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
but maybe closer to release day.
This game releases in 3 months. There are like 2 months of dev time left. Do you expect them to have another showing of this game before that?
Yes, great comparison, two very similar games technologically. Games release with issues, again, news at 11. Let's talk about them when they're out, not when they're being shown at a trade show.
Again, it's also a far more demanding game with hundreds of things on screen.
Correct which is why I expect Zelda LA to run perfectly at 60 and not BotW.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As it should, but maybe closer to release day. Its not like these guys dont know what they're doing.

This is bordering on the lazy dev argument. "If we dont point it out, they wont bother fixing it"

Are you kidding me?

Writers and users should point these things out in hands-on/previews, because that's what you do when you write about a video game. Do you want previews to contain nothing but fluff? It has nothing to do with "lazy devs", Jesus Christ.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Pointing out the current state of a game as it's beinf showcased being equates to "fear mongering". Is this real?

Jesus Christ the inability of some people to deal with a remotely critical thing being said about a game or company they like is really fucking pathetic.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This game releases in 3 months. There are like 2 months of dev time left. Do you expect them to have another showing of this game before that?

Game development no longer stops to account for pressing discs or burning silicon. If Nintendo thinks its necessary, they'll go right up to launch and beyond, just like most teams do these days. We're in the era of Day 1 patches, constant updates, games as a service, etc. Even movies are working on VFX up until right before release, sometimes hours (!), since it's just a digital upload.
Pointing out the current state of a game as it's beinf showcased being equates to "fear mongering". Is this real?

Jesus Christ the inability of some people to deal with a remotely critical thing being said about a game or company they like is really fucking pathetic.
Yes, I'm clearly the person who was in the wrong here and the intentions here were 100% pure. Literally every game on the E3 show floor has issues. Those issues are worthy of discussion? Games aren't magic.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019

Definitely exaggerating, but it's still a pointless thread saying unfinished game is unfinished. Weird is all

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Nintendo developing this in house? Weird that they go from a consistent 60 FPS, full analogue control in LBW to 8 way direction, low fps in this.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
30fps won't be good enough. I hope people in this thread are right but I doubt it.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
This thread is exactly why companies love CGI trailers. Bless Nintendo for showing us works in progress. Of course this is going to be ironed out.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland

Constructive criticism is fine. There is nothing wrong with that, but just look at Witcher 3 switch threads. Yeah they are mostly good criticism, right?

Oct 27, 2017
That's gonna be a no buy from me if they dont fix it. I have faith they will despite numerous recent Pokemon games having bad framerate issues and Mario Kart 8 on Wii U having an incredibly annoying frame pacing bug that never got fixed until it released on Switch.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely exaggerating, but it's still a pointless thread saying unfinished game is unfinished. Weird is all

Not all "unfinished" games are in the same state. This is informational. Pointing out the frame rate is currently not optimal is not "pointless", at least not any more pointless than like 90% of the shit that leads to era threads. Maybe it gets fixed by release, maybe it doesn't. But the need for so many people to play unpaid PR and try to silence the mere existence of what is ultimately a harmless thread is pathetic.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Come on. Do you really not know that this demo is outdated? It's probably several months old at this point. This is how demos are done. IT's not a current build. There are way more than 2 months of dev time left from the gameplay you're seeing.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Not all "unfinished" games are in the same state. This is informational. Pointing out the frame rate is currently not optimal is not "pointless", at least not any more pointless than like 90% of the shit that leads to era threads. Maybe it gets fixed by release, maybe it doesn't. But the need for so many people to play unpaid PR and try to silence the mere existence of what is ultimately a harmless thread is pathetic.
Ok

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I think everyone is aware that this game isn't finished, and hopefully will get cleaned up in time for launch. That doesn't make discussion of it pointless, or any less valid than discussion of any other pre-release game. This is the kind of stuff you want to be made aware of coming out of a preview event. Handwaving it away as "well, of course they'll fix it!" is weird; it comes off as unnecessary damage control.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people acting like this is unreasonable to report. Basically pre-release coverage like this is the entire reason for E3. Also it may convince people to hold off on a pre-order and see what the final version ultimately looks like. This isn't a personal attack against Nintendo and it's devs like some of yall are acting like it is.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I think everyone is aware that this game isn't finished, and hopefully will get cleaned up in time for launch. That doesn't make discussion of it pointless, or any less valid than discussion of any other pre-release game. This is the kind of stuff you want to be made aware of coming out of a preview event. Handwaving it away as "well, of course they'll fix it!" is weird; it comes off as unnecessary damage control.

I agree. Days Gone was really choppy before launch, feedback was acknowledged and worked on.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017

There's absolutely nothing wrong with making a thread about a game performing slowly 3 months out from release in an E3 demo. Not sure why you're trying to twist this into something it's not.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
It's a demo build of a game (and likely not even of the current build) of course there's going to be issues.

It's a demo for a reason.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
You don't think they want feedback on the games they're demoing?

From an on old build at E3 specifically regarding performance before they do the final performance pass before release?

Isnt performance one of the last things they work on at a studio?

I can understand if the thing is a mess but a bit choppy during a 2 minute part of a 20 minute video isnt much to go on.

Seanlole

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering yesterday why the E3 demos didn't come as free demos on eshop or PSstore

*Reads OP*

Now I know why.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
Knowing Nintendo, they'll have this running at 8K/120 FPS by next Tuesday...
(don't worry, people...)

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
That's the good thing about E3. Gaming journos get hands-on time with these games, they can provide feedback to the devs, and the devs will fix it.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, this is crap. Document it, really?

"Twas June 11, 2019 when I saw it. The most disturbing of drops".

I mean, c'mon. It's a game in the middle of being made and people want it known to all that it is a bit choppy.

This is literally what E3/preview builds in general are for, unless you are Denis Dyack.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
From an on old build at E3 specifically regarding performance before they do the final performance pass before release?

Isnt performance one of the last things they work on at a studio?
Ideally, yes, but there's a reason not every game releases with a rock solid frame rate. Some things get prioritized over others. I'd like to think it's high on Nintendo's list to get this ironed out in time for release, but I wouldn't guarantee that's the case.

I'm probably less sensitive about performance than most and I'm getting the game regardless, but I'm glad to have this information available, whether it gets fixed or not.