• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
010a.png

Let's be real, the dungeon is clearly based on those famous Zelda ceramic ornaments. It's even shaped like one. The Japanese name of the dungeon is Tsubo no Dōkutsu or Pot Cave. Tsubo could translate to jar as well.

Bottles in Zelda games typically looked like this:

OoT_Empty_Bottle_Artwork.png

While the vase and jars of the series looked like these over the years:

Dz529RkX0AA5ZxO.jpg:large

Jars have traditionally looked like the real world object since A Link to the Past and that game predates Link's Awakening by two years. Why did Nintendo localizers fumble an obvious reference to what a is now staple part of Zelda? Are we to really believe Koholint Island is littered by stray bottles and not vases? That Link needed magical gloves to carry and push around bottles?

Nintendo, it's time to rectify this 25 year old error. Rename this dungeon. I get not wanting to call it Pot Grotto but the English languages has other words for "large open ceramic/glass containers".

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Looks just like the bottle without a cork in it...

Plus Bottle Grotto sounds awesome.

Pot Spot would be acceptable. The Bowl Hole would also be acceptable though.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
010a.png

Let's be real, the dungeon is clearly based on those famous Zelda ceramic ornaments. It's even shaped like one. The Japanese name of the dungeon is Tsubo no Dōkutsu or Pot Cave. Tsubo could translate to jar as well.

Bottles in Zelda games typically looked like this:

OoT_Empty_Bottle_Artwork.png

While the vase and jars of the series looked like these over the years:

Dz529RkX0AA5ZxO.jpg:large

Jars have traditionally looked like the real world object since A Link to the Past and that game predates Link's Awakening by two years. Why did Nintendo localizers fumble an obvious reference to what a is now staple part of Zelda? Are we to really believe Koholint Island is littered by stray bottles and not vases? That Link needed magical gloves to carry and push around bottles?

Nintendo, it's time to rectify this 25 year old error. Rename this dungeon. I get not wanting to call it Pot Grotto but the English languages has other words for "large open ceramic/glass containers".

...the dungeon quite literally looks like a bottle. And like...the boss and the dungeon name fit. Why would they change it?

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
When I was in college, I spent a year living in a large co-op, and our smoking lounge was colloquially known as the grotto. It was primarily used for pot.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I don't see any problem with this, Bottle Grotto sounds cool :3

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
We're gonna need a Japanese speaker in here to clarify. In its original language the dungeon in question is apparently called つぼの洞窟 (as the OP apparently already wrote, but I guess I'm blind, lol). I don't know つぼ, and the Internet translations I have looked up variously render it as "jar", "pot", "bottle", "basin", or "vessel".

If つぼ indeed means "pot", then the OP is onto something here with their suggestion of a mistranslation. But if it's "bottle", then they'll just have to accept that the map designers' interpretation of the shape is different from the way they see it. Lol.
Fwiw, I don't think any English-language name could sound better than "Bottle Grotto" either way.

EDIT: The French and German name for the dungeon is apparently "Genie Grotto". Can we compromise and just go with that?

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're gonna need a Japanese speaker in here to clarify. In its original language the dungeon in question is apparently called つぼの洞窟 (as the OP apparently already wrote, but I guess I'm blind, lol). I don't know つぼ, and the Internet translations I have looked up variously render it as "jar", "pot", "bottle", "basin", or "vessel".

If つぼ indeed means "pot", then the OP is onto something here with their suggestion of a mistranslation. But if it's "bottle", then they'll just have to accept that the map designers' interpretation of the shape is different from the way they see it. Lol.
Fwiw, I don't think any English-language name could sound better than "Bottle Grotto" either way.

EDIT: The French and German name for the dungeon is apparently "Genie Grotto". Can we compromise and just go with that?
Yeah, that means stuff like pot, vase, jar, cup, basin, etc. Last half of the word can mean cavern, cave, grotto. At least according to the Rikaichamp extension I have on Firefox (it's a very good extension!).

Bottle Grotto is perfectly fine even it's stretching the definition of a cup, jar or vase. It rolls off the tongue and gives it flavor. The intent is still there as the cave map looks like a bottle or a pot.