• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Link is one of Nintendo's most well known characters and has one of the most iconic looks in gaming with the green tunic. And while for me that look will never get old I do understand and appreciate the need to rework the look at some point so it doesn't just resemble every other iteration of the character from past games. With that said, what we got in BoTW was downright lazy and uninspired. Lets start with the uninspired part. This version of link is almost a complete rip off of the look we already got from wind waker barring the lobster design.
d8f2c1e1ae3dbf214075684f887d084a07121e2a_00.jpg

latest

Why? Theres a reason the wind waker look was a starting outfit. Because thats exactly what it looks like. The BoTW outfit looks like your plain jane starting outfit you begin the game with before moving on to the incredibly superior green tunic. I mean, heres the hero of hyrule, Zelda's personal body guard and chosen warrior, showing up to defend the land rocking a shirt he bought off of QVC. Its literally a blue shirt with some white outlines around it. I guess with all the talk about smash and getting a BoTW link I'm left wondering why that would excite anyone. The look is so incredibly uninspired and isn't even a unique design at that having been just a rework of the WW outfit. I don't get the love for it.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I look dope in the knight armor set I wore with purple highlights. I wear the barbarian helmet or hood with it too.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is one of the laziest and uninspired in ResetEra history.

Anyway, Link in BotW is the best he's ever looked because of the presence of actual different armors to wear, that look great.

http://botw.fashion/

The Peter Pan outfit was always lame, some of the combos you can make in BoTW are the first time the character has even been cool.

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of the green tunic until "found" was my most hated moment of this game... Never got past the second dungeon

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt go that far, but Its definitely one of my least favorite looking Zelda games.
Edit: read the title wrong and skimmed OP.
I actually think the design of Link and tbe blue tunic is pretty good, and thats one of the things I do like about the game.

Last edited:

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
That's not even BOTW Link's starting outfit. You get the Champion's Tunic in Kakariko Village. You can get other outfits before then.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He has a blue shirt because he is (was) a royal guard. Blue is a colour often associated with royalty.

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to associate it with WW Link's starting outfit that he only wears for a short time at the beginning. It seems you hate it mostly because of that arbitrary association.

In any case BOTW Link is still very recognizable as Link regardless of what he wears. He still has the trademark hair style that's been a staple since the very first game. It's actually a testament of how good his design is, they radically changed his iconic clothing and yet he's still the same guy.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing you're not forced to wear it.
Anyway I kinda liked it, it was a much needed change.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was so lazy and uninspired that basically everyone watching the Smash reveal just needed to see a silhouette to know it was BotW Link. Nah, can't agree.

I also think bringing up his clothes as uninspiring is amusing when most games he wears a near identical green tunic.

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's almost like you can equip other armor sets to change his appearance.
And this changed the central point about his main design in this game, how?

It was so lazy and uninspired that basically everyone watching the Smash reveal just needed to see a silhouette to know it was BotW Link. Nah, can't agree.

I also think bringing up his clothes as uninspiring is amusing when most games he wears a near identical green tunic.
Knowing the outline isn't the same as being a good design.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
There is a GDC video going through various concept designs. Check it out

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
besides the hyperbole... rip off? being blue means it's a rip off? one is clearly a cloth to use under armor, and the other is just normal clothing.
and lol, it's like you cant change this to anything else after.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit wow, this thread title made me cringe physically.

Takes a shit all over the green tunic imo, so happy they appear to be using it in Smash.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I don't think this thread will end well, but I always assumed that Link's purpose is to look kinda generic (so people can project them self on him), while still maintaining a unique style (his green clothes, for example)

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you smoking? He looks so good in the cutscenes...

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
nah. He looks great. He also looks much better than when he's in his regular plain & boring green tunic. His design in BotW is more elaborate. And no, I'm not just talking about the number of polygons.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
100% agree.

I get that many people here like it but you cant deny how uninspired and lazy it is.

latest

This should have been his default. Much better.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, dawg, I thought he looked just fine or at least unoffensive enough for me to never be bothered by his design. The hyperbole in the title makes this thread seem like a parody.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
The thing I'm hung up on with your post was how you said "it's lazy and uninspired, let's start with the uninspired part" and then seemingly forgot to do the paragraph about why it's "lazy."

OP
OP

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Not debating in good faith.
It's almost like you missed the entire point of the outfit and its connection to the game's story.
What story?

This thread is one of the laziest and uninspired in ResetEra history.

Anyway, Link in BotW is the best he's ever looked because of the presence of actual different armors to wear, that look great.

http://botw.fashion/

The Peter Pan outfit was always lame, some of the combos you can make in BoTW are the first time the character has even been cool.
As is this post.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
They both had two tints of blue so it's a complete rip off

/s

(Not to mention that by that logic the green tunic of every game is a rip off of the game before it)

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
I see as a nod, nostalgia or homage to the previous games (there are a bunch of that in both this game and Mario Odyssey).

SieteBlanco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is a pretty disingenuous argument. It wasn't his silhouette, though; they basically showed his whole face.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, THANK YOU. I was going to make this thread.

Blue Link RUINS the design. Link is a GREEN hero and was always one of the few green heroes we had in gaming. The green tunic is bigger and more iconic than his own name! People don't know "Link", they know the green Zelda guy.

Link having the green tunic was what made possible for we to get such different incarnations of the character like:

0b1013c133decb298a24b586ec50759b.png

latest

latest

What do they all have in common? The green tunic. It's what makes Link a character. In making BOTW Link Blue they just ruined this. Now how do we define Link?

1. By his face. -> This would imply that new interesting desings for him (and that would influence the whole game) aren't happening anymore. We would always get the same "TP/SS/BOTW" Link face and this is just ugh.

2. By being a man. -> This is bullshit. Aonuma said Link can't be a woman because he is a defined character, but suddenly it's ok to remove his classic costume. So being a man is more important to the hero than his iconic clothes? Just lol.

Sure, Link can get some different clothes, but ALL Link should have the classic green tunic as their main costume if they still want to push him as a character and not an avatar. They want to, so removing the tunic and the hat makes no sense to me.

He's just a swordguy now and I can't be more disappointed with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.