• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Youtube link

Looks like streaming is dependent on each individual's internet connections and distance from data centers. Looks like technology-wise no one has any great adventure over others.

Geforce Now is best if you own lots of steam games
PSnow is best if you don't own many games and have a PC
Xclous is good if it comes with game pass
And well stadia is stadia

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't you change game settings on Geforce Now? Noticed that he talked about the AA, but I was thinking well you can change it

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Been fairly impressed with PS Now considering I live in an unsupported country and I don't think there's a datacenter anywhere near here.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Why does Geforce now UI look EXACTLY like they stole it from Xbox? Just noticed from the beginning of that vid...

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not surprised that latency-wise, nobody really has an edge. But if I went back in time 12 months, I think that idea would have surprised a lot of people. There were big expectations for the newcomers.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Remember not even a few months ago when this entire forum was in a tizzy about how "IMPOSSIBLE" game streaming would be?! How Real Gamers(tm) would never accept such horrible compromises (since we all still use CRTs) etc. etc.? Game streaming works, and I'm excited to see it get better. Worth noting that all of these services have only JUST exited beta (except PS Now.. but.. kinda there too and xCloud which is still in beta). Expect streaming to get better and serve the needs of more people.

I already love how seamlessly xCloud and console streaming connect to my Xbox at home. I haven't used GeForce Now or PS Now, but I imagine it's the same on both those ends. Stadia though... Anyway, we'll see how the platforms grow!

I'm not surprised that latency-wise, nobody really has an edge. But if I went back in time 12 months, I think that idea would have surprised a lot of people. There were big expectations for the newcomers.
Let me flip the implication: "I'd go as far to say that 90-95% of people wouldn't even notice a difference." It's surprising that the newcomers don't have an edge only in that it seems that everyone's tech is absolutely excellent and reliable - which is far more than what this forum expected.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Like has been said countless times, there is no magical cure for latency so they are all similar. I was in the Stadia beta, have used PS Now for a long time, I'm in the Xcloud beta and I use GFNow. Similar experience in terms of latency but GFNow wins in picture quality over the rest.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It was the platform they were least impressed with

I think it has the most potential going forward though. I dont want to be tied to Nvidia or Steam, the 6/1 hour time session restrictions seem laughable, and evidently the good games are being pulled by publishers anyway.

Stadia seems they really screwed up by going to Linux. Apparently killed their performance with weird software bugs etc. Also, the idea of having to buy the game JUST ON STADIA isn't fun, vs a lot of Xbox/Gamepass stuff that is now cross buy on PC. Plus the amount of complications involved seems obnoxious, and I dont want to be tied to a Chromecast either, Chromecast is not part of my life, I have Alexa and a Roku TV.

Xcloud, well this seems even more impenetrable/confusing than the others. Is it even out of beta?

Regarding lag, I had an epiphany the other day. All my life, I was never really able to "detect" lag. Even though I shopped for low latency TV's etc, I figured I was just catering to my OCD rather than anything real.

Well the other day I accidentally turned game mode off on my TCL TV. Destiny Crucible, UNPLAYABLE. HUGE DIFFERENCE. It was actually sort of a relief that I could notice such a clear difference.

So now I wonder if I WOULD notice latency on one of these streaming services.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Remember not even a few months ago when this entire forum was in a tizzy about how "IMPOSSIBLE" game streaming would be?! How Real Gamers(tm) would never accept such horrible compromises (since we all still use CRTs) etc. etc.? Game streaming works, and I'm excited to see it get better.

You say that yet Stadia had been the subject of endless ridicule and Geoforce now has lost games thanks to publishers complaining about licensing.

I personally have more faith in Xcloud and PS Now (assuming Sony takes it seriously), but Nvidia is on thin ice and Google's business model is not appealing in the slightest.

Stadia seems they really screwed up by going to Linux. Apparently killed their performance with weird software bugs etc.

Unlikely as many of these games run just fine on Linux thanks to native ports or by running them using Valves Proton compatibility layer.

Linux is probably the best choice available as they'd have to license Windows like Nvidia and they can't use console hardware like Microsoft. Linux gives them greater control of their platform and allows for better scaling.

mattyhochs

May 9, 2018
I have never seen that settings screen before in Destiny 2 when I play with Geforce Now. The one I have gives me full video control, anti-aliasing and all.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Xcloud, well this seems even more impenetrable/confusing than the others. Is it even out of beta?

Xcloud is still in testing.
I mean its still called ProjectXcloud it doesnt even have an official name yet.

The PC test started like last month.

Once its actually out it should be easy enough to understand.
Because, people with nextgen consoles and gamepass ultimate will get xcloud as well.

Im pretty sure there was a rumor the Xbox Series actually uses xcloud tech for when you purchase a game and want to play immedietaly.
It streams the game to you while downloading and installing it in the background....when the game is fully installed or at a reasonable level it switches from streaming to running locally.

Dec 14, 2019
This test was done in the US, right? In Norway GeForce Now is superior in terms of latency. Such a shame publishers ruined it.

Oct 25, 2017
I personally like the interface and user experience of Xcloud, but GeForce Now looks a lot better in terms of stream quality and high end graphical settings.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
This test was done in the US, right? In Norway GeForce Now is superior in terms of latency. Such a shame publishers ruined it.

I believe Linus Media Group is based out of Vancouver, Canada and they were probably running the tests using their business grade fiber connection. You can't really get much more ideal than that unless you're inside one of the data centers.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
You say that yet Stadia had been the subject of endless ridicule and Geoforce now has lost games thanks to publishers complaining about licensing.

I personally have more faith in Xcloud and PS Now (assuming Sony takes it seriously), but Nvidia is on thin ice and Google's business model is not appealing in the slightest.
Sure, I don't want to completely erase the significant teething issues the market has. I was talking specifically about the tech itself. It works, which was far from given and not really accepted as possible here for quite some time. Neither licensing problems and bad Google decisions are inherent to the use of streaming to deliver video games to a wide range of devices. I don't think every service will survive to maturity, let alone success. But I think, as a whole, the hardcore market will start to accept streaming as a viable option for some/many people to play their games.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Watch the inputs Linus is making on the controller and then note the action on the screen. The input delay is extremely noticeable.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
i was interested in geforce now until I saw that in Japan they are partnering with SoftBank with the monthly fee tripling as a result, no free tier and not launching here until june. Stadia still doesn't even have a release date in japan.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it essentially feels like local hardware here in Sweden too, 13ms latency with PC games performance probably ends up with lower total latency than local consoles. Haven't done any real comparison but I'm super impressed by the streaming.

The service itself is quite janky though, Linus is down on Stadia but for me that has actually given me the best overall experience. As you say though, the publishers has ruined GFN, it's far ahead of the other services in some ways but it essentially becomes worse over time instead of better like the other ones.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
i was interested in geforce now until I saw that in Japan they are partnering with SoftBank with the monthly fee tripling as a result, no free tier and not launching here until june. Stadia still doesn't even have a release date in japan.

I use GeForce Now's free tier in Japan, and they're quite generous with the time allowed. I usually go 4 hours before I need to log out an in again. Played all of Disco Elysium, and played Civ 5 with friends before 2K took it down.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This post from when Stadia was announced summed things up rather succinctly:
Because people think that PS Now sucks because it's Sony, when in reality it sucks because it's streaming

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if I'm derailing the thread but if you have a playstation account and you already pay for PSN on it does that also work on PC?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I believe Linus Media Group is based out of Vancouver, Canada and they were probably running the tests using their business grade fiber connection. You can't really get much more ideal than that unless you're inside one of the data centers.
Bit better than your standard business grade. They've got 10Gigabit.
So assuming that the services all have datacentres in Canada, that's best case scenario.