• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Saw this. Thought it was pretty crap tbh. Seen a lot of better musicals. Actually, even those shows at Disneyland were better. I liked the giraffes, but that was about it. The kid playing Simba on my show was atrocious.

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I gotta see this.

And Book of Mormon was OK. I got way too hyoed, but there was 2 great songs in the mix. The rest ranged from kind of bad to OK.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I've really wanted to watch this but man the Disney Broadway shows are expensive.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it once as a child and once with my child.

Impressed both times, but always hesitant about seeing anything Disney. -feels dirty.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tbh I don't understand how anyone "hates" musicals. Maybe you just haven't found one you liked?

The Lion King on Broadway is awesome.

Wish I could see Hamilton but all the tickets for the touring production here in Minneapolis sold out in about five seconds, and the going rates were expensive as hell.

I don't quite get it myself as I really can't stand like 95 percent of musicals out there as they generally are basically just a story with people singing inserted. I'm of the opinion not everything needs a musical version or that they add all that much to a lot of the adapted properties. That and I think a lot of original musicals can be hugely derivative and melodramatic to the point of making my eyes roll out of my skull.

That said there are some excellent musicals out there that do something a little different or can at least take the well tried formula and do something special with it. Sad thing is for every Avenue Q or Book of Mormon, you've got a LOT of dreck out there. Then again I'm not a fan of a lot of the classics either like The Music Man.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I think people in general should make it a point to catch a couple of broadway shows in their lifetime.

This even includes the sponge bob musical which was a hell of a show.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Mega bump!

I just watched this last weekend.

I have heard for years how awesome this show was but had zero interest in seeing a 'kids' musical. Took my twins and honestly I am shocked how good it was. Especially seeing as how the show is 20 years old.

The woman who plays Rafiki is just an otherworldly talent. I was feeling it when she sang he lives in you and after simba sang endless night. Like legit I am not crying you are moment.

My words can't do justice to this and the OP was 100% right.

It was really expensive but it was worth it (for us). You feel fantastic walking out of that theater.

I feel like a total fool for not seeing this 20 years ago when everyone told me to....

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
tbh I don't understand how anyone "hates" musicals. Maybe you just haven't found one you liked?

I think a lot of people just don't like the inherent campiness of it all. I'm not a big musical fan but I've enjoyed stuff like We Will Rock You because it's more my style of music. I don't like the overwrought, maudlin stuff like Les Mis.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone stuck in the Midwest I doubt I'll be putting those 2 down to see a musical any time soon.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I've lived in NYC for over 30+ years, never been to a Broadway show

Never interested in it
It's can be very expensive and Broadway is really lame when it misses.

But it is amazing when it works like Lion King did for me. I was blown away by the talent of some of the performers. It seemed almost impossible that Rafiki could sing as well as she did.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
It's so good! I saw it two years ago in the third row and it was absolutely amazing and completely captivating.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for this thread OP!

I'll keep my controller up. And in the future search for this broadway on YouTube with PSVR.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
i saw this on tour in ohio like, a decade ago. was it the same people who do the broadway show? is it like, different when they aren't touring? i remember i loved it , but it was ten years ago

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It was great... that , Hamilton, and Harry Potter were all great experiences.
Is the music from Potter all original I assume?

Only saw the first movie.

I still need to see Hamilton. That is usually the type of show I love. Something for adults, but Lion King surprised me and it might be my current favorite show on Broadway that I have seen thus far.

It's an amazing experience when a broadway show works. It's like magic.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It was a better experience than musical if that makes sense. It's not something that I would watch again. There are better experiences and there are better musicals.

But it's a great musical to get newbies into the world of musicals.

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Heading to NYC this winter and want to see it.

What are some good way of getting affordable (but good) seats did the show?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It was a better experience than musical if that makes sense. It's not something that I would watch again. There are better experiences and there are better musicals.

But it's a great musical to get newbies into the world of musicals.
Eh.

I have seen probably close to 20 broadway shows and it was still super impressive to me.

Talent is impressive no matter the setting and the Rafiki we saw was amazing.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
When I moved to the US and NYC less than two years ago, the one thing I kept telling myself was "Oh boy, the first thing I'm gonna do is see The Lion King on Broadway!", fast forward to a day after I arrived, I'm checking the prices for tickets, and....yeah, it hasn't happened to this day, the ticket prices are just too crazy....

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Nah, it was so boring that it turned me away from having any interest in musicals (yeah I know it's just one of a number of musicals, but I just found it that bad that I have no interest in looking for one I might like...).

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Wicked was also pretty good, but I wanna catch this even though its a bit old at this point.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
The Book of Mormon is better.
They are going for different goals. I wouldn't say it's better, just funnier. Lion King is a better spectral for wow factor. I do feel like Book of Mormon is a better gateway to musicals though along with Avanue Q. The Lion King is the show you take people to after they've seen a few show and blow them away.

On topic: I really enjoyed Lion King. It lived up to the years of hype. I have tickets to Aladin in October. I'm not sure what to expect.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Need to see this. I've seen The Book of Mormon 3 times and can't wait to see it again. Saw Aladdin earlier this year and it was incredible!

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this last month on a trip to NYC. Been wanting to catch it since I was a little kid and it did not disappoint

Oct 27, 2017
Never saw a show until I saw Book of Mormon. The fact these people do such an amazing job live day in and day out, max respect.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it years back. Absolutely incredible show and worth every penny. The sets, costumes and music all stunning.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I like musicals but hated this. Probably didn't help that I never liked the movie and that balcony seats kind of ruin a whole lot of the spectacle. You can see the stage open up before things pop up.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Disney's Broadway shows have been amazing. Beauty and the Beast was stunning (I still don't know how they did Chip and the floating transformation at the end), and Lion Kings costume design and sets were fantastic. Both are great musicals too. Aladdin was fun but I won first row tickets so I had no skin in the game. Haven't seen Frozen but I hear it relies on projection special effects too much.

Another big spectacle show is Wicked. Crazy effects and animatronics. These types of shows are great for people just getting into musicals.

K444wsr

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Lion King musical in London the same as the one on Broadway? In terms of production values and spectacle.
We're going to watch the one in London later this year and we can't wait.