• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
His 6th win in total and overtaking Ronaldo who he was tied with.

f4418b9690fa17f6bb7f21bd2a99d409.jpg

1. Lionel Messi
2. Virgil van Dijk
3. Cristiano Ronaldo
4. Sadio Mané
5. Mohamed Salah
6. Kylian Mbappé
7. Alisson Becker
8. Robert Lewandowski
9. Bernardo Silva
10. Riyad Mahrez

Megan Rapinoe won the Ballon d'Or on the women side of things.

Dec 15, 2017
Hahaha how come Agüero Is not top 10 but mahrez is? This award is a joke. Some seasons awards the best player in the world while on others just the franchise player of the champions league winner.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
Should've been Virg, He won the Champs League and got 97 league points to finish second and Finals of the Nations League. No defender will have that good a season again and while theres no doubt Messi is class his goals come against mickey mouse teams in Spain he would never get that many week in week out against the likes of Dunk Mings and Evans. Favouritism award but expected by FIFA at this point.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He was by far the best so makes sense. Will take 7th as well.

Judging by this thread, people don't watch much football.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
He is still the best player on the pitch and had a great season...makes sense. Dudes freekicks are basically penalties at this point.

No other top team depends as much on their Star player as Barcelona.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Liverpool fan but ain't complaining. Messi had a brilliant 2019. 50 goals and 25 assists is ridiculous.

You take Messi out of that Barcelona side and that side is struggling big time.

Tabs2002

Feb 1, 2018
What better picks are y'all talking about. Messi has been by far the best player this year.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
VVD should have won it, but really no surprise since not even Iniesta or Xavi won it in their WC year.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Messi is so good that to have to give it to him....Men lie, Women lie, Numbers don't.

People love to root for new faces or underdogs....but what Messi presents is something you have to reward even if you probably would love to see other player win as well.
This. Because its Barcelona its taken for granted but this Barcelona side isn't a great side.
Yeah.. you take him out and Barca literally drops a tier on the scale it's ridiculous. At least the have Beast Mode Ter Stehen right now as well.

From the Top teams Robert Lewandowski at Bayern is probably the only one that could come close to Messi/Barca dependency ......

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
GOAT!
What he does on the pitch and what he means for his team and the stats alone, man! This is an individual award. He deserved it by far!
VVD had an amazing season though.

It's funny, basically all of the best players in the World think he deserves it (aside from Ronaldo, of course).

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An award that is basically "whoever scores more out of Messi and Ronaldo". Does not take into consideration who wins the UCL, who does well in the nationals, which non-attackers do well all season. All they look at is which of the two scores more, year after year. Pretty useless award in the end.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Except when it mattered the most.

1_Liverpool-v-Barcelona-UEFA-Champions-League-Semi-Final-Second-Leg.jpg
Glad to see that he is still human.

An award that is basically "whoever scores more out of Messi and Ronaldo". Does not take into consideration who wins the UCL, who does well in the nationals, which non-attackers do well all season. All they look at is which of the two scores more, year after year. Pretty useless award in the end.
Yeah...they are asking for best player not best team.

Also imagine thinking Messi's playstyle is only about scoring goals....lol.

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
Should've been Virg, He won the Champs League and got 97 league points to finish second and Finals of the Nations League. No defender will have that good a season again and while theres no doubt Messi is class his goals come against mickey mouse teams in Spain he would never get that many week in week out against the likes of Dunk Mings and Evans. Favouritism award but expected by FIFA at this point.
I hope this is a joke post

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Good, best player by far, no offense to VVD.

This guy not only scores a lot but also creates a huge amount of plays for his team, it's really a joy to see him play. My team is Porto from Portugal but I always check Barça highlights because of him.

Except when it mattered the most.

1_Liverpool-v-Barcelona-UEFA-Champions-League-Semi-Final-Second-Leg.jpg

He can only carry so much. He did a lot in the first match and put Barça in a great position, he knew what it was going to happen when Dembele(iirc) missed the easy 4-0 at home lol

Second game is more up to the defense than attack.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Most goals in Europe, Most goals in UCL, Most assists, Most Free kick goals, Most successful dribbles, Most chances created, Most key passes , IFHHS best play maker award, UEFA best froward, Fifa best player award, most MOTM awards in UCL/ Liga/Europe, 53 games, 45 goals, 17 assists in the calendar year.

what are some of you smoking saying he didn't deserve it?

I get it if you rather saw Van Djik win it - but lets not act as if Messi wasn't the best individual player last season, as he is basically every year

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

So how did Modric win it then?

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling a lot of you aren't following La Liga. 100% deserved. VVD was awesome last year but it had to be Leo.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Messi dominates so many statistics and is so influential it would take far too long to even list it here. Undisputed GOAT.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
In an era where defending is mostly forgotten. It's a shame when a player who was so dominant last season from that position didn't win it.

Also says it all when Ronaldo finished ahead of Mané and others.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017

if you judge Messi only on his goals you clearly don't watch him play

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you had anyone other than Messi you don't know a thing about football.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
In an era where defending is mostly forgotten. It's a shame when a player who was so dominant last season from that position didn't win it.

Also says it all when Ronaldo finished ahead of Mané and others.

I think it is most telling that Ronaldo was third. That screams like bullshit to me more than anything else.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is most telling that Ronaldo was third. That screams like bullshit to me more than anything else.

I support the team he plays in, and he wasn't even the best Juventus player this year. The fact Messi and Ronaldo are always guaranteed top 5 spots even on disappointing seasons show the extreme bias.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I support the team he plays in, and he wasn't even the best Juventus player this year. The fact Messi and Ronaldo are always guaranteed top 5 spots even on disappointing seasons show the extreme bias.

Messi has never had a disappointing season where his not one of the top 3 players in the world. A below par season for Messi is better than 99% of every other player.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Now look up the stats of what a disappointing season for Messi looks like.

Don't box in current Messi with current CR7 - they are leagues apart in terms of importance for their team.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda feels like they should just have separate awards for positions since attackers are basically the only one with a big Chance to win this thing.