• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 12, 2017
VVD straight up robbed.
yjFwseD.gif
He beat Messi 4-0 when it counted.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
La Liga has higher quality football than the PL. PL marketing has worked wonders on the masses for the past decade.

all english champions league final

all english europa league final

a few years back Spain dominated but right now it's all about the PL. In terms of quality and competitiveness

I'm okay with this, Messi has been the best player in the world since he became the Barca focal point. Every damn year without fail.

VVD second, Hazard third.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
People really have a hard time accepting that Messi is the best.
The fatigue is strong.

UshioRulz

Nov 30, 2017
People saying Messi didn't deserve it don't have a clue about football. And I really really far from being a Barça fan.

UshioRulz

Nov 30, 2017
all english champions league final

all english europa league final

a few years back Spain dominated but right now it's all about the PL. In terms of quality and competitiveness

I'm okay with this, Messi has been the best player in the world since he became the Barca focal point. Every damn year without fail.

VVD second, Hazard third.

5 Europa Leagues for La Liga this decade, 3 for Premier.

6 Champions Leagues for La Liga, 2 for Premier.

I'm not sure how one year perfoming changes it all. And no, the Premier doesn't have more quality nor competitiveness.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
im not talking about spanisch players but La Liga or let's say the notion that pyisically weaker players would go down in the PL.
overpriced players are nothing new to that league that swims in money tbh
People really have a hard time accepting that Messi is the best.
The fatigue is strong.

No one is saying Messi isn't the best theres no doubt about that but in this calendar year has he been the most influential and important player to his club? Some are simply arguing Virgil Van Dijk has had a greater affect on his club with his performances in the whole of 2019 only.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
5 Europa Leagues for La Liga this decade, 3 for Premier.

6 Champions Leagues for La Liga, 2 for Premier.

I'm not sure how one year perfoming changes it all. And no, the Premier doesn't have more quality nor competitiveness.

Never said that. Don't put words in my mouth

"a few years back Spain dominated but right now it's all about the PL"

It is and always has been more competitive:

compared to...

And it's not changing anytime soon. Teams outside the top 6 simply have more money than ever before thanks to the new TV deals.

And let's not forget how dominant Premier League players are on the international stage. Think we had 38% more players in the World Cup than the La Liga

Last edited:

DCPat

Oct 28, 2017
No one is saying Messi isn't the best theres no doubt about that but in this calendar year has he been the most influential and important player to his club? Some are simply arguing Virgil Van Dijk has had a greater affect on his club with his performances in the whole of 2019 only.

I disagree with that. Liverpool succes is a team effort, not only VVD. Look how many Liverpool people are in that top 10.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think you can make that statement without unfairly minimizing the input from other Liverpool players. I'm not sure how some people ITT seem to be putting the Champions League squarely on VVD's shoulders.

Conversely, I am 90% confident that if you removed Messi from that Barcelona team, the impact is far more devastating on their results/chances than if you took out VVD.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I don't think you can make that statement without unfairly minimizing the input from other Liverpool players. I'm not sure how some people ITT seem to be putting the Champions League squarely on VVD's shoulders.

Conversely, I am 90% confident that if you removed Messi from that Barcelona team, the impact is far more devastating on their results/chances than if you took out VVD.

Now that Matip has grown into a star and Fabinho has found his feet, I agree. But before VVD Liverpool were all out attack and suffered a lot. Barca look confused without Messi. Every attack goes through Messi. He has a mixture of talents that can't be replicated by any of their current attack. As a result, they look toothless without him. He can progress the ball from the defence to the midfield and then to the striker, he can occupy space as a winger and a midfielder and by virtue of being Messi, he'll attract at least 3 defenders to allow his teammates to exploit space left behind... That's without taking into account his goalscoring threat (which could be replicated without him, Suarez and Griezmann are 20+ goals a season strikers)... He does a lot

Last edited:

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
This
To the ones crying about weak Spanish teams:

Sid is great. You should all listen to Spanish Football Podcast if you aren't already. In my opinion La Liga is the most entertaining league in the world. The level of play even amongst the bottom tier teams is oftentimes just awesome and the games are almost always worth watching. For example, Girona last year was a breath of fresh air even though they got relegated in the end.

But yeah, Messi's stats don't lie. And even if they did, you just need to watch him play. Maybe people saw that one game against Liverpool and decided that he didn't deserve the trophy but c'mon now. There is really no comparison in modern football. He's not only the best striker but also the best playmaker in the world.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

I think that's down to Klopp and his staff more than anything, they above all is the main cog in the system, without him especially, a VVD caliber player missing would be team crippling. You only have to look at the 4-0 game, Liverpool lacked Firmino and Salah for that game, absolutely devastating losses on paper, basically no real chance of actually winning the tie and yet they did.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The salt on this thread omg .... some of you need to watch more Messi & La Liga matches, if you really like football...

Last edited:

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I'd probably not have given it to Messi this year but I can accept it just because of how upset I imagine it made Ronaldo.

Mac_Lane

Oct 29, 2017
Paris, France
In the end, that was a tight race :

1- Lionel Messi 686 points
2- Virgil van Dijk 679
3- Cristiano Ronaldo 476
4- Sadio Mané 347
5- Mohamed Salah 178
6- Kylian Mbappé 89
7- Alisson 67
8- Robert Lewandowski 44
9- Bernardo Silva 41
10- Riyad Mahrez 33

176 journalists (one per country) voted. They each picked a Top 5, awarding 6 points to the number one player, 4 to the 2nd, 3 to the third, 2 to the fourth, 1 to the fifth.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind Messi getting it, but comparing him and VVD in the last year seems like apple and oranges. If goalkeepers get their own award, then defenders should be recognised as well.

Still don't really know why Mahrez is on that list.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think that's down to Klopp and his staff more than anything, they above all is the main cog in the system, without him especially, a VVD caliber player missing would be team crippling. You only have to look at the 4-0 game, Liverpool lacked Firmino and Salah for that game, absolutely devastating losses on paper, basically no real chance of actually winning the tie and yet they did.

True.

Might as well start calling Attaquant d'Or if scoring goals is the only statistic they deem valid.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Hahaha how come AgĂĽero Is not top 10 but mahrez is? This award is a joke. Some seasons awards the best player in the world while on others just the franchise player of the champions league winner.
I don't mind Messi getting it, but comparing him and VVD in the last year seems like apple and oranges. If goalkeepers get their own award, then defenders should be recognised as well.

Still don't really know why Mahrez is on that list.

MGKEHBDMIY37IWRQGINSUB2MNI.jpg

plow

Oct 28, 2017
LOL saying La Liga has weak teams hasn't watched any football in like ever. La Liga is constantly dominating european Football in the last years and only now are slowly loosing pace.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This blaming Messi for the 4-0 loss when he literally won them the first leg is like blaming Salah for the fact that Barca won the first leg 3-0. Utter nonsense!

That tie should have been over and this crazy logic that barca lost because Messi didn't play well @ Anfield is silly.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Look at the top 10 players of this year. Almost HALF are from Liverpool. They have what 4-5 there ?
Are you guys really that oblivious ? Look at Barca. Are you guys seriously, with a straight face, saying that VVD carried Liverpool more than Messi did Barca ?

This whole VVD beat Messi thing is either straight up trolling or clueless people. This isn't tennis. You play as a team. VVD didn't beat Messi, Liverpool beat Barca.
Cause Liverpool is just flat out better in almost every way.

I love ERA. But when it comes to sports. I'll try to ignore these threads in the future. Reads like twitter nonsense.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
True just because last year it was an English final that doesn't mean they dominated

Having an All English final in BOTH european tournaments is as close to domination as you can get. We're literally talking about one season and you guys can't give English football the props it deserves. Lmao come on!

We've been drooling over Tiki taka and Spanish football for a decade, it's our time to shine!

Summer of 2020 let's fucking go. If England win I don't wanna hear shit from any of you!

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Look at the top 10 players of this year. Almost HALF are from Liverpool. They have what 4-5 there ?
Are you guys really that oblivious ? Look at Barca. Are you guys seriously, with a straight face, saying that VVD carried Liverpool more than Messi did Barca ?

This whole VVD beat Messi thing is either straight up trolling or clueless people. This isn't tennis. You play as a team. VVD didn't beat Messi, Liverpool beat Barca.
Cause Liverpool is just flat out better in almost every way.

I love ERA. But when it comes to sports. I'll try to ignore these threads in the future. Reads like twitter nonsense.

This is just reminding me how incredible that game was. Keep forgetting that Liverpool was without Salah and Firmino.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
La Liga has been the best league over the last ten years but right now, It's the EPL.

European champions and runners up
Europe League champions and runners up
Six of the top ten players (per this award)
Twelve of the top twenty-one players (two players were tied at 20th)
England favourites for the Euros
The league is more competitive than ever with an expanded top tier of potential winners up to seven teams.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
La Liga has been the best league over the last ten years but right now, It's the EPL.

European champions and runners up
Europe League champions and runners up
Six of the top ten players (per this award)
Twelve of the top twenty-one players (two players were tied at 20th)
England favourites for the Euros
The league is more competitive than ever with an expanded top tier of potential winners up to seven teams.

Haha you are really getting carried away there.

Let's wait for this season to end before declaring such bold things as the list above. It could very well be just a freak previous season for all involved, as Liverpool is currently winning games without even knowing how and Man City seem to struggle quite a bit (and never having been a serious contender in Europe).

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha you are really getting carried away there.

Let's wait for this season to end before declaring such bold things as the list above. It could very well be just a freak previous season for all involved, as Liverpool is currently winning games without even knowing how and Man City seem to struggle quite a bit (and never having been a serious contender in Europe).

I'm not getting carried away, they ARE favourites with the bookies. It's not my personal opinion - it's statement of fact.

Last edited:

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ridiculous pick. VvD was robbed hard.

Yeah no. With EPL every match is tight and entertaining even the last against the first on the table. La Liga is a boring cat and mouse league for years now.

Lol every match is tight. Since when?

Just remind me how many sides have challenged for the title in the last 3 years?