• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So for the more picky individuals like myself, I figured a list should be made just in case someone is curious about which games are the cleanest on our beloved system and which ones are sub HD in Handheld Mode.

This list is a work in progress so if you know of any information regarding titles that aren't on this list, or perhaps have a correction of a title that is on the list, be sure to post about it here and I'll add it or correct any mistakes.

Native 720p
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Sonic Mania
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Fire Emblem Warriors
Disgaea 5
Puyo Puyo Tetris
All NeoGeo games
Kamiko
Fast RMX

Mostly 720p
The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild (Dynamic - Mostly native)
Splatoon 2 (Dynamic - Mostly native - In multiplayer it'll mainly be 720p with slight dips when tons of people are around. In main area, 720p native 30 fps. In single player hub world, it will be sub HD for the most part. In single player stages it will mostly be 720p native, but in some stages the resolution will dip sub HD.)

Sub HD
Pokken Tournament
Rocket League
Mario Odyssey (Dynamic)
DOOM (Dynamic?)
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (720p on the Character Select funnily enough)
Snake Pass

Last edited:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem Warriors drops no?

I could've sworn it does in some instances. Ahh, who cares really, it Still looks fantastic in handheld.

The drops in res don't bug me. I still think all these games look fantastic in handheld. Of course, I never had a problem with the 3DS screen,

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think we've already had this thread twice, one being mine from a few weeks ago.
I looked at your profile and I'm not seeing a thread based on this. There is also a thread by someone complaining about the res, but this thread is a list format for information.

Fire Emblem Warriors drops no?

I could've sworn it does in some instances. Ahh, who cares really, it Still looks fantastic in handheld.

The drops in res don't bug me. I still think all these games look fantastic in handheld. Of course, I never had a problem with the 3DS screen,

Oh does it? I'll recheck just to be sure. I know the characters are a little fuzzy but that's due to the graphical design. When you look at the world graphics they don't have that look. But yeah, I'll check.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fast RMX on native 720p. In fact there's quite a lot missing there. At least add that in because I know it looks spectacular on the screen.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Should sprite based games be included in the list? Yes I guess they're technically rendered at native res, but we don't usually think of them that way. Kind of skews the results.

Fast RMX on native 720p. In fact there's quite a lot missing there. At least add that in because I know it looks spectacular on the screen.

Fast uses a variable resolution.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
While it's great to see a list of games that are and aren't 720p for handheld, do people actually stop themselves from buying a title due to this? I have to imagine if they do, they weren't very interested in the game to begin with.

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I looked at your profile and I'm not seeing a thread based on this. There is also a thread by someone complaining about the res, but this thread is a list format for information.

Oh does it? I'll recheck just to be sure. I know the characters are a little fuzzy but that's due to the graphical design. When you look at the world graphics they don't have that look. But yeah, I'll check.

Mine: https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-switch-first-party-game-tech-thread.1355 (close enough, basically serves the same purpose)
Memoryman3's: https://www.resetera.com/threads/wo...-games-lots-of-non-native-undocked-games.6241

All basically serve the same purpose, maybe there should be an actual OT not to cause confusion.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
We don't have anything official (DF analysis) on Xenoblade 2 yet so I'm not sure why it's up there.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While it's great to see a list of games that are and aren't 720p for handheld, do people actually stop themselves from buying a title due to this? I have to imagine if they do, they weren't very interested in the game to begin with.
Being that I still play Xenoverse 2 despite how ugly it looks, I don't think it stops people from purchasing. That said, it can make someone want to purchase a game even more.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It is disappointing that the Switch has this nice 720p screen but so many games are running under that resolution.
Makes it kind of a waste.

Same thing happened on the Vita a lot.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Being that I still play Xenoverse 2 despite how ugly it looks, I don't think it stops people from purchasing. That said, it can make someone want to purchase a game even more.
Yeah the flip side of this is a good point and makes sense. I only asked because it seems lately I see more and more people complaining about games that aren't 720p in handheld mode which maybe is just more of a general complaint overall. I'd hate to think someone would pass on a game because of this but I know it's very important to many.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mine: https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-switch-first-party-game-tech-thread.1355 (close enough, basically serves the same purpose)
Memoryman3's: https://www.resetera.com/threads/wo...-games-lots-of-non-native-undocked-games.6241

All basically serve the same purpose, maybe there should be an actual OT not to cause confusion.
Hmm looking at your thread it seems to be more focused on first party? This thread is going to list every single game (eventually) at some point. Hope you don't mind this thread's existence.

Oct 26, 2017
Should sprite based games be included in the list? Yes I guess they're technically rendered at native res, but we don't usually think of them that way. Kind of skews the results.

In the case of things like Neo Geo games for example, they typically are just drawn at whatever native resolution is appropriate for the emulated system, and then scaled up and filtered from there, so it's probably best just to not list old (or modern) intentionally low res 2D games.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle isn't native? It looked good and clean to me.
What about Snake Pass? That one didn't look clean.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure Forces is native.
At least the final build looks really sharp
Can someone confirm this? (I don't own the game)
In the case of things like Neo Geo games for example, they typically are just drawn at whatever native resolution is appropriate for the emulated system, and then scaled up from there, so it's probably best just to not list old (or modern) intentionally low res 2D games.

Fast uses a variable resolution.

Well this thread is going to list every single Switch title and I want to note, for sprite based titles like Disgaea, it actually matters a lot cause this is an issue of image quality and blur. As for the NeoGeo list, I'm aware the games are actually native 240p, but being that the emulator itself is ran in 720p I felt the need to list it just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.