• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Do you guys even play looter shooters? Because if you did, you would probably watch a lot of informative videos on it and it's always called looter shooter.

So who are you guys? Are you the same people who made Metroidvania refer to Metroid-like games with no RPG elements? Except this time you will fail, cause shl... ugh, can't even type it, sounds stupid.

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Shlooters are so fetch though.

OP
OP
Bhonar

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
First off, I'm calling them "Looter Shooter." Now onto the topic.

It is hard to say which of these games I appricate the most in all honesty. I feel like it is a split between Borderlands or the Division since the two do offer a nice spread of weapons and equipment to collect (although I'd lean more towards The Division if I had to pick one).

It is too early to express my thoughts on Anthem since I'm still playing through the game. It hasn't really been as bad as some have said, but I'm trying to get to the end game to see how bad it gets there.

OP
OP
Bhonar

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
First off, I'm calling them "Looter Shooter." Now onto the topic.

It is hard to say which of these games I appricate the most in all honesty. I feel like it is a split between Borderlands or the Division since the two do offer a nice spread of weapons and equipment to collect (although I'd lean more towards The Division if I had to pick one).

It is too early to express my thoughts on Anthem since I'm still playing through the game. It hasn't really been as bad as some have said, but I'm trying to get to the end game to see how bad it gets there.
yeah I loved Borderlands 2 and The Division 1. hard to pick between those two

Anthem I'm going to wait for a few patches. I have little tolerance for non-polish and bugginess.

But it sounds like somewhere deep inside the core of Anthem, there might be a really good game when it's polished with lots of content

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
yeah I loved Borderlands 2 and The Division 1. hard to pick between those two

Anthem I'm going to wait for a few patches. I have little tolerance for non-polish and bugginess.

But it sounds like somewhere deep inside the core of Anthem, there might be a really good game when it's polished with lots of content

Well for Borderlands, it can be a fun and exciting game with the amount of guns you can get as well as the classes themselves. The problem though can be how it is fairly straight forward and it isn't like the customization options are as wide as you would see in The Division or its sequel. From there, I loved the variety of what you can do there from the weapons and skills and to make your operator look unique too (all be it for some of the more "fancier" options is behind loot boxes, so no comment outside that).

For Anthem, I fully understand. The game has crashed on me a few times so far and when I try and join missions randomly, they literally put me in right as the mission is about to end. I want to say that Anthem can live up to the hype it build for itself, but I'm not going to say it is absolutely flawless. For me, I'm having a blast with the interceptor since I love close range fighting (but it isn't like it is that in-depth).

OP
OP
Bhonar

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well for Borderlands, it can be a fun and exciting game with the amount of guns you can get as well as the classes themselves. The problem though can be how it is fairly straight forward and it isn't like the customization options are as wide as you would see in The Division or its sequel. From there, I loved the variety of what you can do there from the weapons and skills and to make your operator look unique too (all be it for some of the more "fancier" options is behind loot boxes, so no comment outside that).
yeah I'm pretty hyped for TD2!

as long as the official release version will be polished and not too buggy. (I heard the beta was kinda buggy, but for now I'll ignore that because it came out 1-2 months before the release date)

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't know of many indie options, there's Black Ice though that's pretty small scope, those phr00t games that are pretty bad and I cannot think of anything else.

That Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet game is supposedly shlootery? I am still procrastinating on ever starting that even though I bought it a while ago... That inner resistance towards starting new games sucks.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I think Phantasy Star Online, Monster Hunter, and Diablo belong in this genre, in the same way ARPGs and TBRPGs are distinct variations on the same genre. Its core identity is not shooting, per se, but action-based combat with a loot chase, that doesn't have the sprawling world of an MMO but does have graphical lobbies and easy ways to jump into missions with friends.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I think Phantasy Star Online, Monster Hunter, and Diablo belong in this genre, in the same way ARPGs and TBRPGs are distinct variations on the same genre. Its core identity is not shooting, per se, but action-based combat with a loot chase, that doesn't have the sprawling world of an MMO but does have graphical lobbies and easy ways to jump into missions with friends.
I think the shooting is a major part of the genre, especially with games like Destiny that diminish the impact of the non-shooting elements a lot. You could say that the shooting is just a side choice for Hellgate but most of the newer games are shooters first, loot games second. Kinda like having roguelike elements doesn't make Dead Cells the same genre as Nethack.

Fallout

Though honestly I really like Fallout 4, even more than Fallout 3.
I really hate the trash world look of Fallout and Borderlands, would have bought FO4VR already if it wasn't for that. It's like people have forgotten how stones work.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Shadow Warrior 2 is easily my favorite loot shooter. Unlike the others, it doesn't rely on a bazillion slightly different weapons with procedurally-generated stats. Instead, it has a relatively small set of weapons that all look and feel unique. You can customize their stats by inserting gems which are basically the loot. It works great and gives you a ton of flexibility. It lets you use your favorite weapon for the entire game and makes you feel invested in it, rather than simply throwing it away as soon as you find something with slightly better stats.

SW2 also has the strongest combat, movement, weapon variety and enemy variety of any loot shooter I've played (and I've played them all).

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I think the shooting is a major part of the genre, especially with games like Destiny that diminish the impact of the non-shooting elements a lot. You could say that the shooting is just a side choice for Hellgate but most of the newer games are shooters first, loot games second. Kinda like having roguelike elements doesn't make Dead Cells the same genre as Nethack.

I really hate the trash world look of Fallout and Borderlands, would have bought FO4VR already if it wasn't for that. It's like people have forgotten how stones work.

But there's no clear break point here, it's all on a continuum. In order of most shooter to least shooter:

Destiny - Division - Warframe - Borderlands - Hellgate - Monster Hunter - PSO - Diablo .

I don't think there's a reason for drawing the line at any one of those games, and when you look at them, they all have a bunch of stuff in common and a similar desired experience, for lack of a better term. They're loot games where the action is supposed to be engaging and enjoyable on a 30-seconds-of-fun basis, and where the loot you get affects how the action plays out. In contradistinction to MMOs, where enjoyability of moment to moment combat isn't a priority, but having intriacte systems to master and social stuff to do is what people are there for.

I guess what I'm saying is that the 'shooter' bit isn't that important. It's just one flavor of a genre that has many manifestations.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
But there's no clear break point here, it's all on a continuum. In order of most shooter to least shooter:

Destiny - Division - Warframe - Borderlands - Hellgate - Monster Hunter - PSO - Diablo .

I don't think there's a reason for drawing the line at any one of those games, and when you look at them, they all have a bunch of stuff in common and a similar desired experience, for lack of a better term. They're loot games where the action is supposed to be engaging and enjoyable on a 30-seconds-of-fun basis, and where the loot you get affects how the action plays out. In contradistinction to MMOs, where enjoyability of moment to moment combat isn't a priority, but having intriacte systems to master and social stuff to do is what people are there for.

I guess what I'm saying is that the 'shooter' bit isn't that important. It's just one flavor of a genre that has many manifestations.
I draw the line between Hellgate and Monster Hunter for two reasons. One, you cannot move and shoot in MH like you do in an FPS, your movement is severely restricted and two, I don't consider MH a loot game either since you're collecting ingredients to craft fixed item designs, not finding randomized equipment.

EDF is another edge case since the gear in it is predesigned, not randomized. Even though you get it from random drops.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I draw the line between Hellgate and Monster Hunter for two reasons. One, you cannot move and shoot in MH like you do in an FPS, your movement is severely restricted and two, I don't consider MH a loot game either since you're collecting ingredients to craft fixed item designs, not finding randomized equipment.

EDF is another edge case since the gear in it is predesigned, not randomized. Even though you get it from random drops.

There are random loot drops from Kulve Taroth in MHW, though, which is an endgame activity. The KT weapons themselves have fixed stats similar to Destiny 2, but it's still up to RNG which ones you get.

Laurel_McFang

Feb 17, 2019
I believe the list might be missing the grand-pa of the shlooter genre:
Firefall

some ex-wow devs made a persistent online FPS around the time of Destiny which was actually not that bad.
here's a list of loot.

also I never got into it but Dust 514 the failed CCP eve online FPS might qualify.

pretty much any online persistent FPS game needs to be discussed.
But that does raise some interesting questions like ARK: Survival Evolved or Dayz
are they shlooters?

Suvarium? World of Tanks?

I think it is fairly safe to say a shlooter encompasses:

1. a high emphasis on loot (stereotypically as a skinner box mechanic to hide shallow gameplay)
2. the ability for the loot to persist (ApeLeg has loot, but does not persist)
3. shooting (usually at high level bullet sponges)
4. randomized guns of some sort.
5. the game's central gameplay exclusively revolves around shooter mechanics (usually either cover based or Halo like).

also what makes a shlooter different than an MMO? note: I know I answered this in #5, but there might be better answers.
After all many mmos have tanky bosses, tons of loot, but not as many bullets.
Guild Wars 2 does have classes that use guns as does Final Fantasy XIV.

Last edited:

Artadius

Avenger
Jan 15, 2018
Shlooter shlooter shlootershlooter, shlooter shlooter shlooter Shlooter shlooter.
  1. Shlooter
  2. Shlooter shlooter
  3. Shlooter shlooter: Shlooter.
  4. Shlootershlooter Shlooter. Shlooter
  5. Looter Shlooter.
Shlooter.

Shlooter

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I love me some shlooters. I hope Nintendo makes a splatoon shlooter someday. The world already has a lot of lore and weapon variety. All it really needs is an open world to explore.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I came in to jokingly suggest that Monster Hunter is a looter shooter, I didn't expect to see people legitimately debating it lol

OP
OP
Bhonar

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I believe the list might be missing the grand-pa of the shlooter genre:
Firefall

some ex-wow devs made a persistent online FPS around the time of Destiny which was actually not that bad.
here's a list of loot.

also I never got into it but Dust 514 the failed CCP eve online FPS might qualify.

pretty much any online persistent FPS game needs to be discussed.
But that does raise some interesting questions like ARK: Survival Evolved or Dayz
are they shlooters?

Suvarium? World of Tanks?

I think it is fairly safe to say a shlooter encompasses:

1. a high emphasis on loot (stereotypically as a skinner box mechanic to hide shallow gameplay)
2. the ability for the loot to persist (ApeLeg has loot, but does not persist)
3. shooting (usually at high level bullet sponges)
4. randomized guns of some sort.
5. the game's central gameplay exclusively revolves around shooter mechanics (usually either cover based or Halo like).

also what makes a shlooter different than an MMO? note: I know I answered this in #5, but there might be better answers.
After all many mmos have tanky bosses, tons of loot, but not as many bullets.
Guild Wars 2 does have classes that use guns as does Final Fantasy XIV.

hey thanks for the detailed reply!

I have never heard of Firefall before, might check it out

personally I do not consider the survival games as Looter Shlooters

MMOFPS is a more interesting discussion. did Planetside have loot? I played it a lot when it first released but it's been too long so I don't remember how loot was done

I came in to jokingly suggest that Monster Hunter is a looter shooter, I didn't expect to see people legitimately debating it lol

lol

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
the funniest thing about shlooter is the people who get most up in arms about it turn around and unironically use "looter shooter". didnt think resetera was this popular with the clown demographic

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looter shooter is a phrase which accurately describes a sub genre of video games. There is no doubt about what you're talking about when you say "looter shooter." You shoot things and loot things. If I told my grandma I was playing a looter shooter she'd understand what I mean. On top of that it rhymes and rolls of the tongue. Looter shooter is a wonderful and widely accepted name for the sub genre.

Shlooter, however, is a nonsensical word which sounds more like a kink than a video game genre. Schlooter describes nothing. It's just a mashup of the far superior genre name. When you tell your friend that a game is a schlooter they will almost certainly ask "what the fuck does that mean," to which you will respond "oh it's a shooter with loot." You can garuntee that this will be the last time your friend ever speaks to you. There's no way your mom knows what a shlooter is. Once you explain to her what schlooter means she will undoubtedly look at you in disappointment, and you will definitely become her least favorite child.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Looter shooter is a phrase which accurately describes a sub genre of video games. There is no doubt about what you're talking about when you say "looter shooter." You shoot things and loot things. If I told my grandma I was playing a looter shooter she'd understand what I mean. On top of that it rhymes and rolls of the tongue. Looter shooter is a wonderful and widely accepted name for the sub genre.

Shlooter, however, is a nonsensical word which sounds more like a kink than a video game genre. Schlooter describes nothing. It's just a mashup of the far superior genre name. When you tell your friend that a game is a schlooter they will almost certainly ask "what the fuck does that mean," to which you will respond "oh it's a shooter with loot." You can garuntee that this will be the last time your friend ever speaks to you. There's no way your mom knows what a shlooter is. Once you explain to her what schlooter means she will undoubtedly look at you in disappointment, and you will definitely become her least favorite child.
The problem is I've been hearing the term 'loot shooter' since borderlands so adding an -er postfix is a needless syllable and sounds like cooter so double goofy. If it is going to be replaced by a stupider term than I pledge my life to shlooter because nobody should be happy.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Looter Shlooter" is the best typo I've seen in ages.

Oh, it's not a typo.

Oh. HAHAHAHAHA!

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i know the thread became about naming conventions but speaking of looter shooters this one is worth a look over. if you can get past the learning/difficulty curve this guy did a good job of blending old school shooter sensibilities with modern looting/souls-ish progression. had a lot of fun with it this weekend (moreso than Anthem at least)

Last edited: