• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
I've been trawling through my entire catalogue of games that have an unlocked framerate (which didn't perform well but should now increase to 60) so I know which ones to try when the ps5 arrives. Feel free to add to this list. There are quite a few games I didn't realise were unlocked until I went back to them! There are some obscure and older titles I found too. In no particular order:

Murdered soul suspect
Elex
Everyone's gone to the rapture
Until dawn
Arcana gothic 3
Dead island
Dead island riptide
Dying light
Rime
Wreckfest
Telltale games
Saints row 3
Prototype 1
Prototype 2
Infamous second son
Project cars 1 and 2
Borderlands 3
Shenmue 3
Kingdom hearts 3
Kingdom hearts 2.5
Medieval
Nier automata
Sekiro
Dark souls 3
Contrast
Zombie army 4
Dear esther
Dragon quest heroes 1 and 2
Dreams
Little Big planet 3
Dynasty warriors series
The park
Ether one
Evil within 2
Furi
Ghostbusters (in 4k mode)
God of war
Golf club series
Hitman
Kill zone shadow fall
Knack 1 and 2
Lichdom battlemage
Monster hunter world
Ni no kuni 2
Nioh 1 and 2
Odd world new and tasty
Outer wilds
Rage 2
Red faction guerilla
Resident evil 5
Sniper elite 3 and 4
South Park
Star ocean
Trials of mana
Star wars fallen order
Talos principle
Tram sonic racing
Thief
Worms series

No doubt there are loads more but these are what I have that I can vouch for.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Doesn't Horizon Zero Dawn have an unlocked framerate mode now?
The Last Guardian?
Shadow of the Colossus Remake?

I genuinely don't know, never had a Pro and I don't feel like doing a bunch of disc swapping (plus I don't own SOTC)

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Doesn't Horizon Zero Dawn have an unlocked framerate mode now?
The Last Guardian?
Shadow of the Colossus Remake?

I genuinely don't know, never had a Pro and I don't feel like doing a bunch of disc swapping (plus I don't own SOTC)

No for Horizon.
The Last Guardian does if you have the unlatched 1.0 version.
SOTC does but it's 1080p and basically locked 60fps on Pro already.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
The Last Guardian has unlocked framerate in 1.0 version of the game. However, I'm not sure if the game has Pro support in its very first incarnation, so you may only be seeing 1080p/60 in that case.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I find it really odd/funny that since these games are essentially less optimized for a stable framerate they all get huge boosts to those that optimized for a stable framerate

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
Man, i don't need a PS5 now but the thought of playing these games on higher settings is tempting

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unlocked frame rate is great for futureproofing, but kinda sucks for me as a base PS4 owner

I haven't been able to play this game because the unlocked 40fps frame rate is just too uneven for me, and they don't give any option to lock it to 30!
I've legit waited to play it until I got a PS5 lol. I can't do stuttering 40 FPS platformers in the year of our lord Biden 2020.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Team Sonic Racing ran okay on Pro but had frequent albeit short dips which were kind of annoying. Think it's pretty much a given that PS5 will clear them up.

Very, very interested to see Dying Light.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Sekiro?!? Ooooh, maybe ill revisit and see if i can finally beat Genichiro (Ashina Castle).

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds, ELEX, Talos Principle, TEW 2 and FromSoft games are the big ones for me.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tomb raider definitive edition

so you'll be able to play the whole trilogy at a locked 60fps on ps5. pretty cool!

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't know Wreckfest was unlocked. Would be crazy to play that 60fps (like PC users have had the pleasure all this time.)

Edit- And gonna have to double dip on Ghostbusters 4K and Red Faction Guerilla. 😁

Edit#2- I keep mentioning Earth Defense Force ANYTHING! but I haven't heard nothing so far.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
So KH3 should run 60 on PS5 4K? No need to lower resolution to 1080p like on PS4? (even then it was targeting 60, not stable 60).

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
KH3 @ 60fps could be nice. Pretty sure it wasn't holding that on the original?

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So KH3 should run 60 on PS5 4K? No need to lower resolution to 1080p like on PS4? (even then it was targeting 60, not stable 60).
i believe so, but it's < 1440p iirc
KH3 @ 60fps could be nice. Pretty sure it wasn't holding that on the original?
you could get close to it by setting the ps4 pro output to 1080p, disabling supersampling, and using the framerate mode in the game. not perfect but close.

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
Final Fantasy XIV
Final Fantasy XV(has 1080p unlocked frame rate mode)

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know about more games as well. I'm most curious to see Crash 4 and how it performs on PS5.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Guess I'll finally play Trials of Mana

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I'm a little confused by what OP means when referring to "unlocked framerate". As far as I know only Rainbow Six Siege had an actual unlocked frame rate build, everything else on current gen is 30, 45 or 60

I assume what OP means is games that don't hit their frame rate limit consistently on PS4 Pro on one of the modes, and therefore would benefit the most from running at higher clocks via PS5 backwards compatibility. But if I'm wrong it's surprising to see so many games not have a frame rate cap in place, I hadn't noticed there were so many

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If I can recall correctly, LittleBigPlanet 3 doesn't have an unlocked frame rate unless there was an update recently.

This video is from 2017 which shows the game with a 30 fps limit:

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
No for Horizon.
The Last Guardian does if you have the unlatched 1.0 version.
SOTC does but it's 1080p and basically locked 60fps on Pro already.
Gotcha, thanks! That kind of stinks about Horizon but I'll still probably replay it and double dip on PC at some point. Does anyone know if the frame time issue in Bloodborne will be smoothed out...like if it was better on the Pro and so it should be better on the PS5? I know it is capped at 30 but I think DF just glanced over Bloodborne in their backwards compatibility video without mentioning the frametimes.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Gotcha, thanks! That kind of stinks about Horizon but I'll still probably replay it and double dip on PC at some point. Does anyone know if the frame time issue in Bloodborne will be smoothed out...like if it was better on the Pro and so it should be better on the PS5? I know it is capped at 30 but I think DF just glanced over Bloodborne in their backwards compatibility video without mentioning the frametimes.

TBH I'd be surprised if Sony didn't patch Horizon for a small bit of PS5 action considering they're still technically working on the PC version and have the sequel on the way for end of next year. Getting new players to try the original (think people that didn't have a PS4 but have a PS5) would be some easy sales and hype those customers into Horizon 2.