• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
It's kinda sad and boring how scrum has taken over the world. Even down to the post-it notes.

It looks expressive, but it's just run of the mill.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Yellowed Saturn he held up was signed by sonic team and Yuji Naka which was pretty neat to see.

not quite a saturn, but along the same lines:

J0pYhjo.jpg

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Man, VSCode really took over the world
Given he's developing in C#, what other IDEs would you use? Regular Visual Studio?

Also I see your later comment. How is a .cs file not C#? Maybe I'm missing something. I was talking about the clip at 6:46 (which could totally be a sample file given how standard it looks.

Last edited:

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
They dont earn much money do they?

The app is very small, looks like is on the basement and very far from the station and his office.

Oct 25, 2017
Glad this forum reputation as a place where people take personal hygiene very seriously is showing in this thread

RiamuFG

Director at Chuhai Labs
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
They dont earn much money do they?

The app is very small, looks like is on the basement and very far from the station and his office.

I mean he probably does earn a fair bit as:

1. He works in Tokyo - by and large even smaller apartments are of 100,000yen to start.
2. His looks like a 1LDK, which is probably gonna be at least the price mentioned above if not more depending on what ward he's living in.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017

1. He works in Tokyo - by and large even smaller apartments are of 100,000yen to start.
2. His looks like a 1LDK, which is probably gonna be at least the price mentioned above if not more depending on what ward he's living in.

You can find many apps bellow 100k inside the yamanote line, granted they are very small. The fact that he has to walk 10 mints to the sta, it is on basement with no view and no place to dry clothes and a bare bones toilet.... Ill say 70sh to 80sh a month.

D-Soo

Nov 1, 2017
I follow very few youtubers, but I discovered him while planning my itinerary for my 2 week Japan trip I took in October, and his "day in the life" series is so amazing. I loved the Ramen chef episode, and the salary man episode, and will look forward to seeing this one.
exact same thing with me! I love Paolo's videos and they helped greatly with planning my trip to Japan.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
He mentions that is common to have unpaid overtime hours....

Maybe for a very small company or start up but not for a mid/ big company, in fact thats how they actually earn money, accumulation of overtime hours.

Im puzzled since he lives here in Tokyo and knows how the life works here.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given he's developing in C#, what other IDEs would you use? Regular Visual Studio?

Also I see your later comment. How is a .cs file not C#? Maybe I'm missing something. I was talking about the clip at 6:46 (which could totally be a sample file given how standard it looks.

He's not programming in C#, he's programming in C++. You can see him including a header file right at the top of his source. He's using pretty boilerplate std library C++. Talking about 10:14 when they do a full screen image of his source:

473FQTw.jpg

That said, yeah, you could definitely use the full enterprise Visual Studio for C# development.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
He's not programming in C#, he's programming in C++. You can see him including a header file right at the top of his source. He's using pretty boilerplate std library C++. Talking about 10:14 when they do a full screen image of his source:

473FQTw.jpg

That said, yeah, you could definitely use the full enterprise Visual Studio for C# development.
Ah I missed that part, but yeh that's C++. Interesting. In 6:46, he's using C# but later in your part he's using C++.

1G2MsXA.png

Last edited:

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

FromSoftware lists out their salaries for engineer job postings, and.... it's not that good. Certainly not Bay Area/Silicon Valley good.

I imagine Bandai pays something similar for their engineers.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
He mentions that is common to have unpaid overtime hours....

Maybe for a very small company or start up but not for a mid/ big company, in fact thats how they actually earn money, accumulation of overtime hours.

Im puzzled since he lives here in Tokyo and knows how the life works here.
You must not know many people who work for medium or large companies.

It is extremely common to work unpaid overtime for even the largest companies in Japan.

Do people who don't speak English code in English?
Sort of. The syntax and function names are usually "English" but there are plenty of engineers who can code but can't speak a lick of English.

Sky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
UK
Really insightful watch. Subscribed. :D
Always wondered what it would be like to work as a game dev in Japan, although I believe policies vary depending on the studio.
The language barrier would be an issue i'm sure. lol

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm...I thought the mechanic admin was pretty decent, she got home at like 6:30 and had the entire evening to herself. Job also seemed fine although she had to be part time maid on top of doing her admin work. But at least there was the company vehicle she could use to do errands.

The Sim card salary man was brutal: Clock in early because you had to be the first in the office over some bizarre junior employee custom*, run around the city the entire day, come back to office to do more work, run around some more, do more additional afterwork responsibilities and then get home at like 9:30. Just an hour or two before going to bed.

The ramen guy was at least somewhat understandable, food industry people sometimes seem like they do crazy hour anyway but at least he was the manager. The salary man was not even that high up in stature and his job seemed like hell.

I know many people on this forum think this kind of thing is admirable about Japanese work culture but there is nothing admirable about being forced to not have a "self" of your own outside of your work, just feels so exploitative. But if all you cared about is playing video games and reading manga then I can see why you'd be happy to put up with it I guess.

*I noticed there was a lot of this that I picked up on about Japanese culture in the other videos. The Manga creator one where they were in the restaurant meeting was interesting...

Whoops you're right, it wasnt the mechanic admin it was the sim card salary man that made me gasp.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
You must not know many people who work for medium or large companies.

Thats the thing that puzzles me, I know several ppl working on mid to large companies and they want to work overtime hours to get the extra cash.

I wouldn't say Softback, Mitsubushi, Itochu or Sumitomo are small....

The ones I know dont get any kind of overtime pay are government people.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Videos like this seriously annoy me. It is sold as a typical "day in the life" whereas it is not at all typical.

While it is not unheard of to spend time with friends on weekdays after work in Japan, it is super unusual and not the norm at all.

There is a government-recognised social problem of workers staying at the office for too long and this video ignores the fact that most people are under pressure to stay beyond 8 or 9pm at the office.

This video sweeps that issue under a rug and glorifies the idea of working for a Japanese company, which are otherwise notorious for dominating the lives of their employees.
Given the other videos on this guy's channel, this one is an outlier compared to most of the other jobs he's covered. That suggests that Namco Bandai is just more reasonable of an employer than most Japanese companies. Also important to note that he recorded this at a time where they weren't crunching on a game, I'm sure the hours are much longer during those periods.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

heh, they're called programming languages for a reason. It's not english, nor is it really any spoken language. Computer programming languages are, in the most literal way, their own unique language, entirely divorced from conventional human languages. They typically use ASCII characters (but not always!) so they might resemble, say, english or french or whatever, but they aren't english. But sometimes, if you want to go really deep into it, like writing in pure bytecode, the "language" could consist of numeric values, like so:

class-hex.png

This is a programming "language." Every processor speaks a unique "language" that other processors cannot understand. The reason "PC" is largely considered one platform is because most windows PCs all use the same type of processor, speaking a language called x86 (or a modern subset, called x64).

Decyphering these languages is really, really hard, even if you "speak" them, so source codes have a second layer to them, a comment section that isnt part of the code, but more like notes for people trying to read the source. Comments can be written in any human-readable language. If you look at the source he's writing, he's written several comments in japanese:

4pmEgdb.png

Those lime-green bits I circled are comments, not code.

I love how you mentioned this assuming anyone would know what you are talking about 😂

The programmers in this topic assuredly know what that is, that's pretty basic computer programming stuff that you would learn in an intro to CS course in college.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Videos like this seriously annoy me. It is sold as a typical "day in the life" whereas it is not at all typical.

While it is not unheard of to spend time with friends on weekdays after work in Japan, it is super unusual and not the norm at all.

There is a government-recognised social problem of workers staying at the office for too long and this video ignores the fact that most people are under pressure to stay beyond 8 or 9pm at the office.

This video sweeps that issue under a rug and glorifies the idea of working for a Japanese company, which are otherwise notorious for dominating the lives of their employees.

This thread made me watch other videos from this creator, and the issue of working late is definitely addressed with other jobs.

heh, they're called programming languages for a reason. It's not english, nor is it really any spoken language. Computer programming languages are, in the most literal way, their own unique language, entirely divorced from conventional human languages. They typically use ASCII characters (but not always!) so they might resemble, say, english or french or whatever, but they aren't english. But sometimes, if you want to go really deep into it, like writing in pure bytecode, the "language" could consist of numeric values, like so:

class-hex.png

This is a programming "language." Every processor speaks a unique "language" that other processors cannot understand. The reason "PC" is largely considered one platform is because most windows PCs all use the same type of processor, speaking a language called x86 (or a modern subset, called x64).

Decyphering these languages is really, really hard, even if you "speak" them, so source codes have a second layer to them, a comment section that isnt part of the code, but more like notes for people trying to read the source. Comments can be written in any human-readable language. If you look at the source he's writing, he's written several comments in japanese:

4pmEgdb.png

The programmers in this topic assuredly know what that is, that's pretty basic computer programming stuff that you would learn in an intro to CS course in college.

I really love a good Kreijsplanation in the morning.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

class-hex.png

4pmEgdb.png

Couldn't they... I dunno, translate all the keywords in a programming language to the Japanese/other language, and then have the compiler translate it back to English using some sort of hash map or dictionary into the underlying keyword? It's just one extra compilation step, so it should not affect program speed too much.

Also, good method names remove the need for comments (I have my own strong feelings on comments, especially when they're misleading or out-dated). But in this case, since the method name is in English, it sort of necessitates the need for native language comments.

tl;dr JavaJapanese --> Java --> Java Byte Code --> Machine Code?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't they... I dunno, translate all the keywords in a programming language to the Japanese/other language, and then have the compiler translate it back to English using some sort of hash map or symbol table into the underlying keyword? It's just one extra compilation step, so it should not affect program speed too much.

Also, good method names remove the need for comments (I have my own strong feelings on comments, especially when they're misleading or out-dated). But in this case, since the method name is in English, it sort of necessitates the need for comments.

tl;dr JavaJapanese --> Java --> Java Byte Code --> Machine Code?
The keywords are just as much gibberish to English speakers as they are to Japanese speakers. What does "int" or "glVertexAttrib1f" translate to?

Comments are a GOOD thing. I absolutely hate working with people who think they don't need comments.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The keywords are just as much gibberish to English speakers as they are to Japanese speakers. What does "int" or "glVertexAttrib1f" translate to?

Comments are a GOOD thing. I absolutely hate working with people who think they don't need comments.
Err... What?

But they're all usually abbreviations of English words based on what they are. Integer wasn't a word made up specifically for coding.

I just feel like if I, as someone who only knows English, were to try and approach a programming language that doesn't use English characters for syntax, I would be confused as all hell.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Err... What?

But they're all usually abbreviations of English words based on what they are. Integer wasn't a word made up specifically for coding.

I just feel like if I, as someone who only knows English, were to try and approach a programming language that uses not English characters for syntax, I would be confused as all hell.

You don't type "integer" to declare an integer, you type "int"

It's way more confusing and pretty pointless to translate keywords like that. And when you start getting into opcodes, they get very abstract. Go ahead and translate "pdep" for me.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You don't type "integer" to declare an integer, you type "int"

It's way more confusing and pretty pointless to translate keywords like that. And when you start getting into opcodes, they get very abstract. Go ahead and translate "pdep" for me.
I'm still in school, do a lot of people work with machine code?

I understand that the underlying bits aren't English, but the things we see in most high level programming languages absolutely have meaning derived from real English words in order to assist those writing and reading it.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still in school, do a lot of people work with machine code?
Inline assembly is common, yes. Especially in game devopment. It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the gcc extended asm syntax if you want to wring performance out of your code: https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Extended-Asm.html

Example, the quickest way to do Morton encoding is using bmi opcodes as opposed to, say, a LUT. Morton encoding will dramatically speed up collision detection.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
All the keywords are in English or derived from it. Also, most companies (prob not so much in Japan) require English for comments and variable names. Plus, it's the language of the (dev) internet, where you're going to google your error messages.
I love how you mentioned this assuming anyone would know what you are talking about 😂
It's clearly aimed at coders, and not interesting to people outside the field.
Also, good method names remove the need for comments (I have my own strong feelings on comments, especially when they're misleading or out-dated). But in this case, since the method name is in English, it sort of necessitates the need for native language comments
It's not really worth the hassle, English is a world language and considered a must for CS.

I thought the same about comments, but it turned out differently for others reading my code and showed my hubris.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
What? Dude hung out with friends after work and even has a work friend to eat lunch and game with. He's single, I assume, hence he has the evening to build gunpla.

This was probably the one video to really glorify the life of a game programmer.

I mean when he was actually coding. He did have meetings but the coding part is unsocial. It's a huge part of the day.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean when he was actually coding. He did have meetings but the coding part is unsocial. It's a huge part of the day.

I dunno how it works in game dev, but coding is fairly social. There's a lot of meetings and ad hoc discussions that occur on any given day. It's hard to lone wolf something complicated.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Living and working as a dev in the region for the past 7+ years, specifically with similar corporations like bamco.

Right, so we have 2 sources and yours is anecdotal. Perhaps you could instead specify how your situation is different from the video? Hard to keep a discussion otherwise with absolutes like "no, video wrong". And FWIW, I have also worked with development in Japan (though not in game industry) and I'd say the video is a fairly accurate depiction from my experience.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Any developer video where they talk about benefits like "Free games to play while at work or being able to sleep" are bullshit. Because no one wants to be that person who plays games instead of working and sleeping on the job is a detriment to you because it means the business basically wants you to live there.

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone translate the sign at 11:31? It says Zelda and Pokken in the first row, but no idea what the rest of it says...

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
This video absolutely does not show what a normal day for a dev in Japan is.
You mean, it doesn't show what a normal day for YOU is. Every company is different.
Any developer video where they talk about benefits like "Free games to play while at work or being able to sleep" are bullshit. Because no one wants to be that person who plays games instead of working and sleeping on the job is a detriment to you because it means the business basically wants you to live there.
You mean, any developer video about your singular experience :P I worked 12 years at a game company with a break room where people played games every lunch, another lunch room with a few arcade machines (I miss that Star Wars arcade machine). People played games all the time. And sometimes we would play a networked game together after work.

Oct 28, 2017
When writing code in something like C#, it is totally English (if you chose to do it). Something like "GetPrinterSettings" or "InitializeWindow" (like in one of the screenshots). I'm German but I haven't written "German" code in years.

No one (sane) would write function names like "gps12()" or something in such a language.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark

Im a software developer and at my work we have 3 PS4s. After lunch me and 3 of my coworkers always play a couple of Rocket League matches.
Though making a big point of it being free just seems weird, are there any workplace that charge money for playing games?

Im surprised that theres no catering at the place. Must suck having to bring lunch or go out and spend time to get lunch everyday. And having to pay for snacks and beverages also seems crazy to me.

Oct 26, 2017
Im a software developer and at my work we have 3 PS4s. After lunch me and 3 of my coworkers always play a couple of Rocket League matches.
Though making a big point of it being free just seems weird, are there any workplace that charge money for playing games?

Im surprised that theres no catering at the place. Must suck having to bring lunch or go out and spend time to get lunch everyday. And having to pay for snacks and beverages also seems crazy to me.

This is Japan. 10 steps outside the office there's a convenience store with delicious food, five different drink vending machines and probably a ramen place or two.

Edit: Ha, there's literally a 7-11 in the next building and three restaurants across the street from their location.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

This is standard for the vast majority of gaming studios I've ever worked or visited at in North America or Asia. A coffee machine is pretty standard (but coin or card operated half the time) and a vending machine is almost universal. But free snacks or drinks (beyond green tea/water) is a legit perk and rarely seen. I can't remember the last mid-sized studio or bigger that didn't have two vending machines in it.

Famously there are places that cater and have a lot of free snacks/drinks (Google, Facebook, Lucasarts at one time, etc) but the practice is under fire lately because government tax offices (IRS, CRA, etc) want it to be a paid benefit (taxable!) as opposed to a freebie.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
FromSoftware lists out their salaries for engineer job postings, and.... it's not that good. Certainly not Bay Area/Silicon Valley good.

I imagine Bandai pays something similar for their engineers.

From Software seems pretty bad. Especially according to this report: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/5nqu0w/what_its_like_working_at_from_software/
Which amounts to 12 hour work days with an average salary of $30K.

Anyway, this video popped up on my suggestions. Glad somebody made a thread about it here.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Ayyyy Paolo has a pretty cool channel. I would recommend taking a look at his other "day in the life" videos as well.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching this series for a few days "A day in the life of a Japanese___" and just seen this one and found it really interesting. This programmer works at one the Namco Bandai offices. Other than seeing what his daily life consists of we get a little tour of the offices and see what other team members were working on. Figured I'd share it.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Paolo's vids really helped me get hyped for my trip to Japan. The Ramen chef day in the life one was my favorite.