• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
I follow this channel and just saw he posted a video that ERA would be interested. Its a short video 13min.

Programmer at Bandai Namco

Mods can nuke this topic if they need.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I follow very few youtubers, but I discovered him while planning my itinerary for my 2 week Japan trip I took in October, and his "day in the life" series is so amazing. I loved the Ramen chef episode, and the salary man episode, and will look forward to seeing this one.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Really cool video, I didn't know about this channel so, thanks, just subscribed.

Also, I fucking wish I had time and a place for a nap at work, that shit would do wonders

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The YouTuber is a bit bonkers but I do love his "Day in a life" work, mainly because he's not in it that much, and he gets fantastic insight from average folks trying to live thier life, without sugar coating it.

Thannks will check it out, I don't know what Code Vein is but Namco part has me interested.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
A little doco episode popped up in my YouTube thought y'all might find a bit interesting. Basically in effect just a peek around a Bandai Namco office in Tokyo. Some cool stuff here and there. Might be some background things to scrape ha. The guy doing it is clearly not much of a gamer though. It's "A Day in the Life of" series about random professions in Japan.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Thanks for posting this video, I've visited a couple of game development in Japan but not this one. It looks like it's one of the nicest with quite a lot of space and facilities. I should bookmark this.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
It was announced more than 2 and a half years ago, with a 2018 release

Didn't realise the reveal was that long ago! Time flies eh :)

Edit: actually I do remember not really digging the look of it for a while, so that admittedly probably has something to do with perception lol.

This is reminding me that I need to get back to that game and try finish it.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see a video about the life of a Japanese game animator and artist. I wonder how much anime they have to watch and how much manga they have to read when they're working on licensed stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that was really cool. Surprised Bamco let some random youtuber walk around their office and record all their shit and speak with directors. Also didn't know agile was used over there.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad he had a few hours to have fun after work. I was afraid he was just going to work 16 hours then go home and sleep.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah was surprised by that too. I'm enjoying the game, but that is significantly beyond what I would have guessed. Never know how many times things change in dev though ha.
I know this is a bit off topic, but I watched this video last night, and was genuinely interested in Code Vein after that, would you recommend this game?

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
I know this is a bit off topic, but I watched this video last night, and was genuinely interested in Code Vein after that, would you recommend this game?

I'm having fun with it but it's a tough one to blanket recommend. Its not up to Souls level in terms of combat, level design and boss encounters (few games are lol). But it's an entertaining fix if you enjoy the genre and an anime aesthetic. The character creation tool is god tier though. Ridiculously deep, let down only by some hair clipping issues.

I haven't finished it myself yet but I'm told that the story ramps pretty well. Looking forward to finding out first hand :).

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Omg how he is just casually walking to the director of Code Vein and Tekken 7 lol

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I'm having fun with it but it's a tough one to blanket recommend. Its not up to Souls level in terms of combat, level design and boss encounters (few games are lol). But it's an entertaining fix if you enjoy the genre and an anime aesthetic. The character creation tool is god tier though. Ridiculously deep, let down only by some hair clipping issues.

I haven't finished it myself yet but I'm told that the story ramps pretty well. Looking forward to finding out first hand :).
Hey, you convinced me. Thanks!

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
From 10 am to 7pm? Yikes, rough schedule. I also am a software engineer and we do 9-5 (or 5:30 in case work piles up) or if we're done with our sprint goals we can leave around 4'ish.

Pretty interesting video otherwise, loved that you can take naps and play games, in the office we just have foosball (which is great too).

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Neat video, thanks for sharing. Subscribed to the dude's channel as well to help get ideas for an upcoming trip.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I really like Paolo's videos. Very insightful and we'll shot. Been watching them for a while. This was a fun watch too.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
it's electron. a polished bloated turd.

As turd as Electron may be, MS did a fantastic job making all of that disappear and empowering devs across many platforms to do a better job.

I've seen many people pretty much abandon many of the third party "IDEs" they used before across web, game and backend engineering, and share a similar work environment through Code.

Dec 25, 2018
this is just 1 guy, in Japan they literally have a term for working to literal death. 過労死 or Karoushi is fucking terrible. Japan overworks to death, 9 hour work days and they care more about seniority than experience. Hell, people work so much that the population is decreasing because no one could dedicate time to kids. It's extremely sad.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
this is just 1 guy, in Japan they literally have a term for working to literal death. 過労死 or Karoushi is fucking terrible. Japan overworks to death, 9 hour work days and they care more about seniority than experience. Hell, people work so much that the population is decreasing because no one could dedicate time to kids. It's extremely sad.

9 hour work days 😂😂😂

You have never clearly worked in the country or position your talking about!

9hours would be a dream for most japanese salarymen.

Dec 25, 2018
9 hour work days 😂😂😂

You have never clearly worked in the country or position your talking about!

9hours would be a dream for most japanese salarymen.
that just proves my point more though, last time I checked it was 9 hour daysm so they're in a shittier position it seems. don't even get paid for overtime too.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Tons of web, tool, and automation development (which looked like what the guy might've been programming) has been implementing Docker in recent years.

It has also become a thing for 'oh we got everything working finally, quick, make a Docker image before you break it and we'll use it on all computers'

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Working at Bamco looks pretty comfy, once again proving they are one of the better publishers or should i say least bad publisher.
Also interesting to see so many Windows PC's, ive seen other Japanese devs really like Apple, seems to be a personal taste thing among studio's.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The gist is basically Jason Mendoza from the good place in looks and voice including intonation lol.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
So, there is this Youtuber that makes small documentaries about several Japanese people and their jobs.
The newest episodes focuses on a "video game programmer" that works for Bandai Namco.

I think I could spend a week in the Library :)

Also, that Pacman wall-arcade (wallcade?) is amazing.