• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
www.yahoo.com

Live-Action Powerpuff Girls Update Is Being Reworked at The CW

The Powerpuff Girls won’t be swinging back into action anytime soon. As The CW moves forward with series orders for its All American: Homecoming spinoff as well as a Naomi comic book series adaptation (executive-produced by Ava DuVernay and Jill Blankenship), sources tell TVLine that the...

The Powerpuff Girls won't be swinging back into action anytime soon.

As The CW moves forward with series orders for its All American: Homecoming spinoff as well as a Naomi comic book series adaptation (executive-produced by Ava DuVernay and Jill Blankenship), sources tell TVLine that the live-action Powerpuff pilot is being reworked and redeveloped off-cycle (meaning, not in time for Fall 2021 consideration).
How bad was it that CW says "We think you can do better", maybe too much Jingle Jangle in the writer's room

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
They're obviously gonna change quite a bit, but even if they had gone through with this version its important to remember a lot can change between drafts and between writing, filming, and editing etc.

Last edited:

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
they saw the reactions online. Also somebody said that they are in the power puff outfits only in a flashback and look normal for the rest of the show.

they have at least 1-2 episodes already filmed and now they go back and rework it? dont you do that before filming starts? ^^

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what wasn't working.

The fact that it didn't feel at all like the Power Puff girls?

Description sounded like an assembly line CW show that just wanted the brand name.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Give me the fucking CGI monkey with the big dumb helmet and cape.

This is non negotiable.

Lord Bandi

Apr 30, 2020
The Painkiller spin-off not happening sucks ass.

Black lead superheroes need more representation and this lost fucking sucks on a personal level.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Gotchu -

[removed]

They're obviously gonna change quite a bit now, but even if they had gone through with this version its important to remember a lot can change between drafts and between writing, filming, and editing etc.

That's uh.. Yikes.

2021-05-24_20_36_53-ppg.pdf.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
You know that scrubbed that history
It's funny, the only thing I ever watched on UPN were Pokemon (they had the syndication rights for the first season in my area, before the show went exclusively to Kids' WB) and Simpsons (syndicated reruns). I never realized the whole "UPN is the black network" stereotype until after it had already stopped broadcasting.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they saw the reactions online. Also somebody said that they are in the power puff outfits only in a flashback and look normal for the rest of the show.

they have at least 1-2 episodes already filmed and now they go back and rework it? dont you do that before filming starts? ^^
Didn't already started shooting ?

It happens. I did some work on the original pilot for the 2017 show Powerless, and the show was taking place at a generic insurance company. They completely reworked it so it would take place at "Wayne Security" so that the show would have more of a connection to DC. Must have been costly making those changes, and the show was quickly cancelled anyway. It's never a good sign when you don't have a clear idea what the show you're making is, so I'd take this as a bad sign, but then again this is the CW. 90210 went through major troubles that would have killed any other show, but they kept it on the air for five years.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It barely sounded like anyone involved had even heard of the PPG before herring'd involved with this show. A reworking should be a good thing in most cases but this late in the game just screams some huge issues.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Right like I'm reading it and it seems really, really "try hard". Though honestly, I don't have much experience with scripts and how they translate to the screen, or the powerpuff girls in particular, but just scanning through some of this, there is a lot of things that just seem like in your face, a lot of commentary. It's not the topics that are bad, it's just that nobody wants to feel they are being preached to non-stop while watching this kind of show of all things. I think I saw "White privilege, alcoholism, death penalty references" on a quick scan. None of which are bad by themselves don't get me wrong, but it just seems like there is A LOT of commentary that would seem best served as a one off snide here and there.

That said, I'd probably like it if I saw it on screen. Shrug.

Last edited:

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
It happens. I did some work on the original pilot for the 2017 show Powerless, and the show was taking place at a generic insurance company. They completely reworked it so it would take place at "Wayne Security" so that the show would have more of a connection to DC. Must have been costly making those changes, and the show was quickly cancelled anyway. It's never a good sign when you don't have a clear idea what the show you're making is, so I'd take this as a bad sign, but then again this is the CW. 90210 went through major troubles that would have killed any other show, but they kept it on the air for five years.
Man...Powerless was 2017?! Feels like it was at least 10 years ago.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Right like I'm reading it and it seems really, really "try hard". Though honestly, I don't have much experience with scripts and how they translate to the screen, or the powerpuff girls in particular, but just scanning through some of this, there is a lot of things that just seem like in your face, a lot of commentary. It's not the topics that are bad, it's just that nobody wants to feel they are being preached to non-stop while watching this kind of show of all things. I think I saw "White privilege, alcoholism, death penalty, also some iffy children doing sexual things references". None of which are bad by themselves don't get me wrong, but it just seems like there is A LOT of commentary that would seem best served as a one off snide here and there.

That said, I'd probably like it if I saw it on screen. Shrug.

Yeah, it feels like tries way too hard.
And I don't know, it feels like something you would do with an original concept, not with an actual children show people grew up with.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, the only thing I ever watched on UPN were Pokemon (they had the syndication rights for the first season in my area, before the show went exclusively to Kids' WB) and Simpsons (syndicated reruns). I never realized the whole "UPN is the black network" stereotype until after it had already stopped broadcasting.
When The WB and UPN merged to become The CW, the joke was that stood for Coloreds and Whites, together at last.