• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
From a SXSW interview with the movie director:
The official title for the upcoming Resident Evil reboot from director Johannes Roberts will officially be called "Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City."

IGN learned the official title of the upcoming movie from Roberts himself during an interview at SXSW's online event. Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City is an adaptation of the first two Resident Evil games and will include main characters from both titles including Chris and Claire Redfield, Jill Valentine, and Leon S. Kennedy.
Set in the year 1998, Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City will tell the events of the city under siege from infected zombies. Both the mansion from Resident Evil 1 and the city itself and police station from Resident Evil 2 will be present in the movie.

EDIT:
A few more details.

Last edited:

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I like that this also could be a reality show about a town infested with racoons.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there wasn't the word "Evil" in it, this title would sound like the name of an Animal Crossing game or something lol

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I know the plots of both seem slim but it still sounds like alot

Which climax do you even use? The Tyrant in the lab or the subway escape?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

The writing team:
giphy.gif

Cort

Nov 4, 2017

The tyrant will be a threat first scene earlier in the movie at spencer mansion, then it will reappear as mr. X in RPD.

I can see a situation where just the first 15 minutes is resident evil 1 then the rest of the movie is just re2

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing is that 2 & 3 basically do take place simultaneously

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
You can sum up the first game in a 10-20 minute sequence which explains why the outbreak is happening. I'm not saying it's going to be great but I can see it.

Sibersk Esto

Oct 25, 2017
The tyrant will be a threat first scene earlier in the movie at spencer mansion, then it will reappear as mr. X in RPD.

I can see a situation where just the first 15 minutes is resident evil 1 then the rest of the movie is just re2
You can sum up the first game in a 10-20 minute sequence which explains why the outbreak is happening. I'm not saying it's going to be great but I can see it.

Could see that, although the Wesker twist might get lost in the shuffle

I don't think they would recreate the whole mansion for a prologue

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
They should've just adapted it into a TV show called 'Raccoon City'.

Episodes 1-4 = RE1.
Episodes 5-8 = RE2.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
i Absolutely love adaptations that faithfully adapt their source materials. Unlike the other RE live action movies, this one iam really interested in.

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't sound that bad. Could work really well if they are efficient with their direction.

First game isn't that long if you take out the puzzle solving. As long as the most iconic stuff is there it should be fine with a fast pacing.

If it is good I hope the sequel is RE3 and Outbreak mixed in.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Look give me something decent. I don't even need good. Just give me a half decent interpretation. My 100% fear is that they shoved a BUNCH of recognizable names from the games into one film as fan service and a lot will be quickly thrown away. My hopes aren't high

Chestbridge

Oct 29, 2017
So we'll be following STARS at the mansion and Leon and Claire in the city; guess they doing the RC outbreak simultaneously instead of two months later.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean there's no real reason why the infection couldn't have spread to Raccoon city by the time stars were investigating the mansion

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Setting it all in a single night really conflicts with the timelines of the 2 games this is supposed to feature ....

unless the mansion segments are shown as an elaborate flashback, or a character recalling those events (eg Marvin to Claire/Leon).

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
1 and 2 in one movie is a lot of ground to cover. Granted you could probably speed through the plot of RE1 in like 30 minutes if you wanted but it's still a lot. 2 and 3 are far more closely related and even doing them together would require more than 2 hours. I imagine they'll make some big changes like Jill, Chris, and Wesker showing up in the RE2 segment.

I don't like the title either, but if it's better than the Anderson films then I'll be somewhat satisfied. Also I checked the IMDB for this and apparently Donal Logue is playing Chief Irons which is a shame because he would make a perfect Barry Burton imo.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Do the events of 1 and the events of 2 occur simultaneously? I can't remember
The early timeline of RE is kinda goofy. The first six games take place over a five-month period.

RE0: July 23rd, 1998
RE1 (and REmake): July 24th, 1998
RE3: September 28th - dawn October 1st, 1998
RE2: September 29th, 1998
RECV: December 1998

I imagine either they change it so that RE1 and 2 are concurrent, or RE1 is flashbacks.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Laughed out loud that it would include "fixed camera angles" as an homage to the game. What a fun Easter egg that a movie has camera angles.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about that. Not sure why they are cramming the two games into one, seems like a lot for one movie. Would have been nice to get the mansion as it own thing.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Laughed out loud that it would include "fixed camera angles" as an homage to the game. What a fun Easter egg that a movie has camera angles.
Shooting scenes with fixed camera angles in the style of the old REs would actually be pretty different from typical movie camera angles, especially it's extend sequences. It's not just a stationary camera, it's the placement of the camera and what happens in the shot.