• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
But SERIOUSLY, how hard could it have been to just be like, "Tune in to The End event, Sunday at 2 PM, followed by an extended downtime period until Tuesday 4 AM!"

Don't defend this as effective marketing either, because as much as it is, this has also been a terribly annoying stunt imo.
It's gotten me and some friends, who never played the game, to suddenly look at it and watch the video leading up to it. So it's been somewhat effective just from my standpoint.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But SERIOUSLY, how hard could it have been to just be like, "Tune in to The End event, Sunday at 2 PM, followed by an extended downtime period until Tuesday 4 AM!"

Don't defend this as effective marketing either, because as much as it is, this has also been a terribly annoying stunt imo.

you sound addicted, it is good marketing and press. Everyone is talking about it.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
"Guys this is the most watched internet event of all time and is getting people who dropped the game over a year ago to pick it up again, thus generating even more revenue. Now let me tell you about how this was a bad idea"

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017

It's extremely obnoxious, but the whole point of it is to drum up hype. The longer the game is offline the more excited people are going to be to jump back into it.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
"Guys this is the most watched internet event of all time and is getting people who dropped the game over a year ago to pick it up again, thus generating even more revenue. Now let me tell you about how this was a bad idea"

Seriously, even people on my work who constantly mocks Fortnite (just a dumb kid's game, boring, etc) are talking about the event and kinda curious about all this.

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
User Warned: Trolling over a series of posts
Well then why are you going on like I'm some crazed loon when all I did was point out some people are really overreacting to the potential down time.

I literally just said some people need to get a grip and yet you repeatedly keep coming back at me like I have overreacted.

Jesus lol.

Calm down.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

Impressions don't necessarily translate to long-term engagement and people who dropped it once are more likely to drop it again, so I really don't see the point you're going for here. Everyone is quick to shout "genius!" at Epic for basic economic strategies like artificial scarcity when the same effect could be achieved with much better communication.

It's extremely obnoxious, but the whole point of it is to drum up hype. The longer the game is offline the more excited people are going to be to jump back into it.

It's absolutely obnoxious, but apparently you can't point that out without being addicted or entitled. GaaS type games pride themselves on communication and rolling updates and Fortnite/Epic tend to be phenomenal at this, so I will reasonably call out the one time I don't agree with their rollout/marketing. It's a holiday weekend, they didn't convey the length of time the game would be down for, and most were anticipating the new season by today.

It's perfectly fine that it's not out yet but let's stop pretending this is groundbreaking marketing. It's really only groundbreaking because it's a F2P game driving up serious verbal traffic but even then it's Fortnite, literally no other game in 2019 could pull this off.

Last edited:

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
Impressions don't necessarily translate to long-term engagement and people who dropped it once are more likely to drop it again, so I really don't see the point you're going for here. Everyone is quick to shout "genius!" at Epic for basic economic strategies like artificial scarcity when the same effect could be achieved with much better communication.

It's a very simple point that people are making: Epic is earning millions in free media during server maintenance.

Media outlets are interested in covering a story about the world's most popular game being in some weird unplayable state with a black hole. Those same media outlets are not interested in reporting that season 11 will kick off on 10/15 after an extended maintenance window.

You can probably rest comfortably though because this same "event" is unlikely to be used again by Epic; you only have to suffer through one obnoxious 3-day weekend with no communication and no Fortnite 😬

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Redownloading to check this out tonight. I missed out on quite a few events, but I guess I'll just and take part in this one. Crazy this game shows no signs of slowing down.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this actually will be closer to a Fortnite "2." Like, will Epic finally push a lot of the changes they have clearly been wanting to make it easier, more approachable alongside a bunch of paradigmatic changes.. if so, could be just the thing to cement a whole new lead. I'm definitely fascinated.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Sooooo... what happened with the Chinese getting the update patch that they were supposedly already downloading? Was that fake or they can't play yet despite downloading it?

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017

How are you defining 'effective'? Because if it involves it being in the zeitgeist, this is probably their most effective end season yet.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been playing this game for a couple of seasons now. But my gf just sent me a news article explaining what's going on with the season-ending (which is bonkers reading it in the national news here) and it sounds absolutely insane and exciting. Wondering what they come up with.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019

You answered your own question. It would've been easier to just put a message . A regular "tune in" message wouldn't cause the same reactions to people's characters and game menus been sucked into a blackhole and nothing else since.

Way more exposure.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
The upcoming success of the game will depend on the quality of the update, not the length of the back hole.

And the maximum exposure they got was right when the servers went down, and the following two hours when people still expected something to happen. It is winding down ever since. Most of those people who are still actively waiting are bored out of their minds.

Also, it only works once:

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
My son and I have redownloaded Fortnite. I'm a sucker for stuff like this. Neither of us want to miss out so this black hole thing has worked on us.

Hopefully we can have some fun with the game when it returns.

This event reminded me massively of the movie Truman Show when they had to cut transmission when Truman vanishes. Millions of people ended up watching a blank screen hoping for something to happen which is what we're seeing here. It's amazing marketing. It even made the front page of BBC news and last night when I was out for dinner I heard aN old couple talking about it over their food.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
You answered your own question. It would've been easier to just put a message . A regular "tune in" message wouldn't cause the same reactions to people's characters and game menus been sucked into a blackhole and nothing else since.

Way more exposure.

Yeah, an announcement beforehand wouldn't have had nearly the same level of impact.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There was a new number just now

Something with two digits, couldn't make it out without glasses

Edit: And one more number. Gosh, I wish I didn't lost my glasses.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
There was a new number just now

Something with two digits, couldn't make it out without glasses

Edit: And one more number. Gosh, I wish I didn't lost my glasses.

I thought the numbers corresponded to the words from the visitors quote. Does anyone have the quote and what the current message is according to the translation?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last chance for something meaningful in 22 minutes, if nothing happens I'm peacing out for the day lol ain't nobody got time for this nonsense

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
It will most likely start during morning for the west. Just makes sense as that's where their main audience is. Just strange that they seemingly won't have a lead up or announcement for it and will just drop it when all the eyes are seemingly off the game.

DCPat

Oct 28, 2017
iirc patch notes are typically at 10 AM, and it seems a lot of streamers are up when it's the middle of the night in the US so 🤷‍♀️

Yea, me too will be there to see if something happens, could be, but it also could've been the past 3-4 instances where I waiting for something to happen at the round hour.

I'm at work and if it goes live I can't even play for the next 8 hours. Just so triggered by all this lol.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here goes nothing

and nothing happened, lmao
edit: apparently downtime started ? Strange that nothing would happen on stream. Could be it happens at :05 though 😴

Status
Not open for further replies.