• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
C-Span stream below:

The House Judiciary Committee is about to hold its first impeachment inquiry hearing, featuring testimony from four law professors.
  • Chair Jerry Nadler and Ranking Member Doug Collins will give opening statements.
  • The four witnesses will be sworn in and will give their own opening statements. The witnesses are Noah Feldman of Harvard Law School, Pamela S. Karlan of Stanford Law School, Michael Gerhardt of the University of North Carolina School of Law and Jonathan Turley of the George Washington University Law School.
  • There will be 45 minutes for the Democratic lawyer to ask questions questions.
  • Then there will be 45 minutes for the Republican lawyer to ask questions.
  • After that, each member will get 5 minutes to ask questions.
  • The hearing will end with closing statements.
Snippets of the opening remarks:

CNN said:
Noah Feldman of Harvard Law School

"President Trump's conduct described in the testimony and evidence clearly constitutes an impeachable high crime and misdemeanor under the Constitution."

"By freezing aid to Ukraine and by dangling the promise of a White House visit, the President was corruptly using the powers of the presidency for personal political gain."

Pamela S. Karlan of Stanford Law School

"Based on the evidentiary record, what has happened in the case before you is something that I do not think we have ever seen before: a president who has doubled down on violating his oath to 'faithfully execute' the laws and to 'protect and defend the Constitution.'"

"If we are to keep faith with the Constitution and our Republic, President Trump must be held to account."

Michael Gerhardt of the University of North Carolina School of Law

"When we apply our constitutional law to the facts found in the Mueller Report and other public sources, I cannot help but conclude that this President has attacked each of the Constitution's safeguards against establishing a monarchy in this country."

"The President's serious misconduct, including bribery, soliciting a personal favor from a foreign leader in exchange for his exercise of power, and obstructing justice and Congress are worse than the misconduct of any prior president, including what previous presidents who faced impeachment have done or been accused of doing."

Jonathan Turley of the George Washington University Law School

"I get it. You are mad. The President is mad. My Democratic friends are mad. My Republican friends are mad. My wife is mad. My kids are mad. Even my dog is mad . . . and Luna is a golden doodle and they are never mad. We are all mad and where has it taken us? Will a slipshod impeachment make us less mad or will it only give an invitation for the madness to follow in every future administration?"

"This is not how an American president should be impeached. For two years, members of this Committee have declared that criminal and impeachable acts were established for everything from treason to conspiracy to obstruction. However, no action was taken to impeach. Suddenly, just a few weeks ago, the House announced it would begin an impeachment inquiry and push for a final vote in just a matter of weeks."

Last edited:

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Who are those witnesses and what is the angle of questioning? I assume it's basically clarifying the (il)legality of Trump's actions.

Edit: OP was updated while I was posting.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
This is who is on the committee. The minority is full of such all stars as Gym Jordan, Ratcliffe, and Gaetz, so this is going to be fucking insufferable during the member questioning.

9038c22232.png

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This is who is on the committee. The minority is full of such all stars as Gym Jordan, Ratcliffe, and Gaetz, so this is going to be fucking insufferable during the member questioning.

9038c22232.png
I'm wondering what the Republicans can even ask here to try to shift the narrative surrounding the hearings. These are just professional witnesses giving expert testimony, right?

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'm wondering what the Republicans can even ask here to try to shift the narrative surrounding the hearings. These are just professional witnesses giving expert testimony, right?

They'll just do what they did when Hill and Sondland started being obviously strong witnesses for the Democrats -- not ask questions. They'll just fill five minutes with bullshit and interrupt the witnesses.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Where is our boy Nunes?

Heh

I'm joking. He's not on the committee, but I'm enjoying laughing at him today

Last edited:

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
What's Collins's story? Is he unhinged, or does he at least try to present a respectable facade? Can't watch this at work today.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This clown

Jonathan Turley of the George Washington University Law School

"I get it. You are mad. The President is mad. My Democratic friends are mad. My Republican friends are mad. My wife is mad. My kids are mad. Even my dog is mad . . . and Luna is a golden doodle and they are never mad. We are all mad and where has it taken us? Will a slipshod impeachment make us less mad or will it only give an invitation for the madness to follow in every future administration?"

"This is not how an American president should be impeached. For two years, members of this Committee have declared that criminal and impeachable acts were established for everything from treason to conspiracy to obstruction. However, no action was taken to impeach. Suddenly, just a few weeks ago, the House announced it would begin an impeachment inquiry and push for a final vote in just a matter of weeks."

What a fucking GOP tool. Doesn't address the charges against the orange shitbag. Just trying to deflect and ask "why we doing this now??"

Fucking clown

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Noped out right after Nadler for the sake of my fucking mental health and what remains of my faith in america.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already tired of the Republican indignant inflection and we've just started.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
"If there were actual facts the other committees would have sent over recommendations for impeachment instead of leaving it up to THIS committee"

yeah okay fine collins just pretend that it's not the judiciary's fucking responsibility to recommend and rule on filing articles

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
This mother fucker just called the American People too dumb to understand what's going on. Fuck the GOP, man. Fuck this backwards ass country.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
It's funny as hell to call the Republican report a "response" to the Democratic intel report when it came out days before the Democratic one did...

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
I don't think I can watch this. These republicans are clearly working for Putin and are just going to act like fucking dumbasses.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I never thought I'd say it but I want Nunes back. Fast talker McGee is getting on my nerves.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Not a single comment denying anything, instead just more useless yelling about shit that doesn't matter. So what if they wanted to impeach him from day one, they didn't force him to do what he did and make it happen. This guys is bonkers.