1. GrooveCommand

GrooveCommand
    Banned Member

yeah ffs, anything that's politically motivated and gets you out of the house is a win in my book. Doesn't mean we should stop there and let that be enough, but damn people are lazy and detached when it comes to politics.

2. Skelepuzzle

Skelepuzzle

Donating is pretty much a net win as well, I don't think we'll see mass protests until (and if) things get worse but we should do what we can in the mean time.

3. Deepwater

Deepwater

For those thinking it wasn’t intentional

4. Kernel

Kernel

They see victims of gun violence as potential gun rights rights activists and therefore the enemy.

5. cheese toast

cheese toast

Need more context? She was sitting normally, received a text, then threw the sign.

EDIT: Beaten.

6. American Eskimo

American Eskimo
    Banned Member

No, thats not what Im saying. Showing up on the mall is better than nothing, and much better than twitter, which is the equivalent of nothing.

But let's not pretend that using your day off to take selfies on the mall at a pre-planned and permitted event is the kind of mass protest that will lead to meaningful change.

I think it's also insulting to the people in Egypt, Thailand, Taiwan, Mexico, Brazil, etc etc who shut down their cities in the face of armed military police to suggest that American protests are anywhere close to on their level.

The 2011 protests in Egypt resulted in 846 people killed and over 6,000 injured.

The result was that the President resigned.

Real protest requires sacrifice. The last time Americans protested en mass was probably Vietnam.

7. I was a first hand witness to the rise of the tea party and I swear to you this is exactly the kind of conspiratorial thinking that grew like an infestation. They micro-analyzed every gesture Obama ever made as some kind of secret message. The gesture was coopted for this very reason, to make people like you see ghosts everywhere you look. Unless you're really certain of the intent like when Milo or Richard Spencer does it, I would hold back.

8. Taki

Taki

That’s intentional and also a distraction bait to make the leftists look crazy.

9. Powdered Egg

Powdered Egg

Very intentional and she's smirking twice while reading her message right before she throws up her set. The Right is bout that life while Dems are about civility.

10. Deepwater

Deepwater

Nah

11. Yep, now we see just how susceptible people on the left are to this type of thinking as well.

12. Jintor

Jintor

man they ain't even pretending anymore

13. ZackieChan

ZackieChan

And lol at them bringing up the protests in Bangkok, which resulted in a military take over of government that still hasn't ended, and they continue to "delay" elections because the guy in charge doesn't want to give up power. Gg, protesters! Someone googled "mass protests" and forgot to read the whole article...
    Yep. Google "Obama devil sign" or "Clinton devil sign" and see all these collections of photos of politicians making hand signals for the Illuminati. This whole thing is ridiculous and makes us look crazy.

14. _ifigured

_ifigured

couldn't be more ashamed to share skin color with this scum.

15. Ferrio

Ferrio

Pointing out dog whistles from relative nobodies seems pointless when there's a dog howling 24/7 ever since the man took office.

16. Deepwater

Deepwater

“Relative nobody”

Yes, /pol/ and t_d trolls being in the White House is a big deal so we can all stop gaslighting like it’s not

17. Ferrio

Ferrio

Hence why I said relative, before this thread did any of you what she looked like or even who she was? She's involved with the admin, specifically immigration, we don't need to argue over a hand sign to know she's a piece of shit.

18. SugarNoodles

SugarNoodles

Oh for the love of god. Are you seriously referencing the fact that protesting isn’t guaranteed to immediately solve problems as an excuse for standing by and watching?

Good fucking lord. Keep preserving that comfort zone. It’s all you’ve got going for you.

19. ZackieChan

ZackieChan

They were literally provided as examples of protesting working, so...yeah?

20. thefit

thefit

Its obvious shes making a Q to signal the awaking is at hand.

21. BWoog

BWoog

Yeah and all it got them was the Presidency....and Congress.....and the Senate....and their tax plan.....and two Supreme Court Justices (If we're lucky).....and shoving kids into Concentration Camps.

22. ZackieChan

ZackieChan

They were literally provided as examples of protesting working, so...yeah?

23. Fork

Fork

Do you think white supremacists wear shirts that say "Hello I am a white supremacist" on them? The reaction to Charlottesville showed them that they have to play a more quiet strategy. Dogwhistles are a thing for a reason, bigots love secret handshakes and ways for them to recognize each other.

24. SugarNoodles

SugarNoodles

They were provided as examples of the scale necessary for protests to have the impact necessary to bring about change, which those protests did.

I certainly hope your take home wasn’t “it would have been better if they didn’t protest” because, well, that would be incredibly stupid.

25. marrec

marrec

Ah yes she received a text message that must mean she’s part of a secret white supremacist cabal

26. marrec

marrec

No they just do stupid hand signals that everyone knows about lol ok

27. Baji Boxer

Baji Boxer

It's video, not a still photograph taken of a precise moment in a motion. Now I'm not familiar with white supremecist hand jestures (could be signaling "ok" to someone for all I know), but she looks at her phone, awkwardly makes the hand signal, even adjusting her thumb when it doesn't line up right with her finger.

28. Plumbob

Plumbob

Not terribly convinced of anything by this clip

29. ZackieChan

ZackieChan

In Thailand? I don't think it would have been any worse if they hadn't, that's for sure. But I'm sure that neither you or I have a deep enough knowledge of Thai politics to answer that. I was literally AT the protests, though (not protesting). Nothing like a bit of martial law (brought on by the protests) to make you think about things in a different way, though.
    Anyway, your ultimate answer to all the questions earlier just being "protest bigger" is sorely disappointing. No, I don't believe that would stop them from voting on Kavanaugh.

30. Yeah this is blatant. It's noise so I'm not too fixated on it, but this fits right into the standard neo-nazi playbook.

31. SugarNoodles

SugarNoodles

Blaming protesters for martial law is super disgusting.

32. Deepwater

Deepwater

It’s important to note when online alt right communities (read: white supremacist) have proximity and access to high level VIPs in the federal government. Sorry it’s not important to you, but you can definitely kick rocks thinking your snark is well placed

33. Mercury Fred

Mercury Fred

Well, she worked on enacting a racist policy. so.

Why are you so obsessed with dismissing this?

34. marrec

marrec

It’s actually very important to me seeing otherwise rational, intelligent people taken in by the dumbest conspiracies.

35. ced

ced

Zina Bash seems like a real POS but you all need to stop the conspiracy bullshit, this is ridiculous.

36. ZackieChan

ZackieChan

I watched the video, and this is a silly take. Sorry, not seeing it. Again, this just makes us all look like nutcases.
    I did nothing of the sort.

37. Cosmic pizza anyone?

38. marrec

marrec

All the more reason to dismiss this stupid “secret (but not actually secret cause the fucking NYT wrote about it lol) hand sign” bullshit. Y’all sound like QAnon nuts and it’s sad.

39. Baji Boxer

Baji Boxer

It's a description of what happened. Don't think it's a "secret" signal, just trolling.

Edit: If anyone saw this post already, I wrote "shut the fuck up" to marric, was going to post more following that sentence (because he's being a dipshit), thought better of it and thought I deleted it. Guess I was wrong!

40. _Karooo

_Karooo

My head hurts.

41. marrec

marrec

Sorry did I hit a nerve

I ain’t just gunna let people spread unfounded conspiracies

42. You'd think with all the other cases of neo-nazi numerology and coded signals people wouldn't be so quick to dismiss. The same group that works in 14 (for 14 words), pepe, and 88 (shorthand hiel hitler) as low key signals to other white supremacists would try to implant it to their audience on TV. I guess it's the same people arguing racism doesn't actually exist unless there is a cross burning or a black man in a noose.

43. Baji Boxer

Baji Boxer

Yeah, because you were being a fucking dick about it. It's fine if you want to disagree with what people see plain as day.

44. ZackieChan

ZackieChan

This whole line of thinking is yikes af. We need to be better than this.

45. marrec

marrec

So you’re just resorting to insults now cool

46. Mercury Fred

Mercury Fred

k

47. ZeroDotFlow

ZeroDotFlow

Are you stupid or just willfully dense? The reason why they use hand signals like this is for plausible deniability. It's so that gullible people (ie, yourself) end up ignoring or arguing in favor of it.

Terrorist groups, white supremacist groups etc all exhibit similar forms of behavior (gaslighting, plausible deniability etc) and use common symbols to quickly identify other members of their groups. This is all pretty basic stuff I learned in a brief period of my career to identify when spies or terrorists are attempting to infiltrate or recruit other people to their cause. It's not a conspiracy to say the alt-right has essentially adopted a bunch of common symbols in attempt to do the same thing. This isn't to say that everyone that uses the OK symbol is part of the group (which is entirely the intent) but rather you have to look at how someone behaves to figure out their true intent.

48. Pet

Pet

Intentional or not, I just rested my hand on my arm like that and it's hella uncomfortable and not at all natural. So weird.

49. Novel

Novel
    Banned Member

Million times this.

50. Wonderment

Wonderment

Let's end this back and forth on who is more conspiratorial, and move on to discussing the nomination hearing. Thank you.

51. Baji Boxer

Baji Boxer

People are going to see what they see. You can whine about how you think it makes our side look all you want, but it's right there in front of your face.

It doesn't actually matter because we allready know she's a white supremecist so I'm not going to push the issue further, and that signal is not going to change anyone's minds. Milo wore Nazi regalia, threw up a Nazi salute, and consulted with Nazis for his writings, and people still wrung their hands calling him a Nazi. So yes, I will agree with you guys that it is a waste of time.