• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
He was a part of the Bush administration when they decided on their torture policy. He lied about this under oath when he was confirmed for the Circuit Court in 2006. He's a partisan hack who is 100% going to do whatever he can to gut Roe. Oh, and he was suddenly able to pay off thousands and thousands of dollars for debt mysteriously before being nominated.

This is making me fucking sick.
The torture stuff has already come out and will be questioned on because it's widely available information.

The payment stuff I must have missed, but that info wouldn't come from the Bush documents. It's also super insane to realize that Trump was the one that flexed Executive Privilege on the Bush-era documents to keep them secret, not Bush. Shady shit is absolutely afoot and the GOP doesn't care if they bathe in hell after all is said and done because they'll try and take the rest of us down with them over protecting their own asses.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
What is the matter with you? Yeesh. Transparent as fuck trying to pin the blame for this atrocity on anyone but the monsters ramrodding this piece of shit through.

That's actually not what I was implying at all. They could have gotten on camera more and discussed the issues around this to raise a higher amount of awarenesss. I've been watching cnn/msnbc pretty regularly and it's mostly anchors talking about it and not key members of the Democratic Party. I completely understand how this whole thing works and there isn't much they can do in terms of stoping the vote from happening, at least cause a bigger fuss so help with the midterms.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This was always the plan

Use Trump as their blunt instrument to grab power and push their agenda before Trump inevitably fell out of favor

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Time for a one sided conservative SC for the next 30-40 years.

Yay.....

tenor.gif

How long until Wade vs Roe is overturned? Next week?

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Supreme Court is gonna sway Conservative for the rest of our lifetime isn't it?

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the Libertarians realize this guy wants to give even more power to the President by removing key oversight from Congress and the Supreme Court, stating that sitting Presidents should be exempt from indictments and prosecution and going as far to say the hiring of a special counsel for Nixon was wrong.
They won't
Let's stop with the nonsense already. Libertarians are just hipster Republicans. They don't give a shit, they're happy about this.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I mean what are the chances that he won't be confirmed? What's even the point of following this?

tedtropy

Nov 14, 2017
"He also likes pasta with ketchup, but nobody's perfect hahahahahahahe's gonna overturn Roe v Wade."

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn there really are a lot of protestors in there.

Should have gone all at once so there were enough of them to shut down the hearing.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Time for a one sided conservative SC for the next 30-40 years.

Yay.....

tenor.gif

It'll be longer than that. Depending on the courts and how long it would take for a specific case challenging "federal overreach" of Roe v Wade to be appealed to the Supreme Court, it could take a few years. Maybe less depending on the timing of cases.

Anubis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What GOP did to filibuster and basically delay Obama's nomination is a travesty. The GOP contingent is conniving.

Why couldn't Dems do the same leading up to the mid terms?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017

You're probably not going to see a stark overturning, but rather the continued erosion of protections and access in red states, to the point where it may not even need to be "overturned," but rather give states such deference as to render it inaccessible in large swaths of the country. We're seeing this now, where some states literally have one or two facilities that perform the procedure.

Oct 27, 2017
Democrats should go for the jugular on this guy. Any dirt they have, just throw it in his face. He's getting his seat regardless, just make it clear he is an enemy.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I adore these protestors. Shut your hatch, Hatch.

Raise hell, cause havoc. Give these scumbags a taste of what things will be like if we're suppressed any longer.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Why couldn't Dems do the same leading up to the mid terms?
Supreme Court nominations only need a simple majority to approved as opposed to the standard 60 required previously. Since the the GOP did away with that rule with Gorsuch, the Dems don't have a leg to stand on since they currently do not hold a majority.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're probably not going to see a stark overturning, but rather the continued erosion of protections and access in red states, to the point where it may not even need to be overturned, but rather give states such deference as to render it inaccessible in large swaths of the country.
This is the path forward for RvW and Republicans know it. It's why I think you're going to see more local districts continue to try and pass abortion clinic cases upward for the SCOTUS to decide. Essentially a death by thousand cuts. Textualists have historically had a very narrow definition of what undue burden entails.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I meant until after mid terms like how GOP did until after Trump was elected?
The Republicans were only able to block the Garland nomination because they had a majority and could just refuse to act. The Democrats can't run that same play because the Republicans still have a majority. As long as Republican Senators vote together, there is literally nothing whatsoever that Democrats can do to block this.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I meant until after mid terms like how GOP did until after Trump was elected?
The GOP were able to do that because they had the majority in the Senate at the end of Obama's Presidency. The GOP still has the majority in the Senate. There's no way for the Democrats to do the same thing because they don't have the majority, the GOP does.

Anubis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys for the clarification. As a Canadian, I need better grasp of US politics.

Regardless, this is a watershed moment no? I feel like this was the goal of the GOP with or without Trump.

Fuck I am not happy with this.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Republicans were only able to block the Garland nomination because they had a majority and could just refuse to act. The Democrats can't run that same play because the Republicans still have a majority. As long as Republican Senators vote together, there is literally nothing whatsoever that Democrats can do to block this.

They can use procedural tactics that I don't believe have been used before on something like this, basically they would be blowing up how the Senate works. They won't do it but they could try to gum it up if they really wanted to.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Support for the status quo of abortion rights or making them more accessible has the backing of 70% of the country. The GOP can't continue to push major policy changes with so little public support without going full authoritarian. And unfortunately they plan to do just that by calling an Article V Constitutional Convention. They only need 6 more states to make it happen, several of which are Republican controlled.

This country is on the verge of an existential crisis. If Democrats don't take back power in a big way we will not recognize the United States by the end of our lives (if it even still exists).

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys for the clarification. As a Canadian, I need better grasp of US politics.

Regardless, this is a watershed moment no? I feel like this was the goal of the GOP with or without Trump.

Fuck I am not happy with this.

yes, that is the end game with the GOP , that is why they will tolerate Trump if they can pack in the SC and make it conservative for at least 30+ years

Oct 25, 2017
Was it the Samantha Bee show that put up a clip of this guy laughing in a room full of old white men about revoking womens' rights? That clip alone was enough to convey what a shit nominee this guy is.

Last edited:

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
They can use procedural tactics that I don't believe have been used before on something like this, basically they would be blowing up how the Senate works. They won't do it but they could try to gum it up if they really wanted to.

Then the next day McConnell changes the rule and moves forward anyway. The Senate Dems did this over a couple of cabinet nominations and it got some press but only delayed things by one day.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Trump could have nominated a horse and the Republicans could still push it through to the SC. Nothing but pure obstruction will save the Dems now.

Shit's going to get real desperate.