• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
e: Stream done

Livestream in about 20min:

e: https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/04/porsche-taycan-unveil/

The Taycan (Pronounced Tai Khan) started as the concept Mission E four years ago at the Frankfurt Motor Show. Since then, Porsche has been doling out a steady stream of information, teaser images and videos of the vehicle's prowess. The Turbo S version of the four-door sports sedan has an impressive 750 horsepower while in launch control and 774 pounds of torque from two motors situated in the front and back.

Those powerplants along with a 93.4 kWh battery pack can propel the turbo s variant from zero to 60 in as little as 2.6 seconds putting it nearly on par with the Tesla Model S P100D. The Turbo trim level will hit 60 in 3.0 seconds.
While we wait patiently for EPA range numbers, the more generous European WLTP gives the vehicle a 412 KM range (256 miles). So expect a range probably around 225 to 230 miles once the final testing has been completed.

What we do know is that the Taycan can be charged from five to 80 percent in 22.5 minutes via a charger that outputs 270 kW. for super-quick stops, it'll add 60 miles in about 5 minutes. So if you're in a hurry -- and frankly if you bought a Porsche, you probably are -- if you can find a powerful enough station you can be back on the road pretty quickly.

gXnyUr4.jpg

EHoUU0D.jpg

odsY3Nx.jpg

7y4EpQs.jpg

Last edited:

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Why the hell is he narrating it if it's already in English??? (the intro video)

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Love how this car looks, it's basically the same as the concept version except for the doors. Performance is beastly as expected.

Wish I didn't have to take back my deposit(due to buying a new house), it's so beautiful 😭

Bobcats

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish the door handles were different. Minor thing to complain about, I know.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This is a really solid first effort and great for Porche fans will certainly get many of them to make the switch to electric, or at least get them thinking about it, and that is nothing but a good thing.

But $150k for 225 miles range .. For 50k less you get 370 miles with the Model S, for 50k more you get 600 miles with the upcoming Roadster, and both are significantly faster 0-60. I don't think this will entice many Tesla owners/perspective owners. That being said this is certainly probably the most impressive non Tesla EV effort to date.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Liam Neeson is there to introduce the car with an appropriate pun.

"You could say I am quite taken with this motor vehicle."

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really solid first effort and great for Porche fans will certainly get many of them to make the switch to electric, or at least get them thinking about it, and that is nothing but a good thing.

But $150k for 225 miles range .. For 50k less you get 370 miles with the Model S, for 50k more you get 600 miles with the upcoming Roadster, and both are significantly faster 0-60. I don't think this will entice many Tesla owners/perspective owners. That being said this is certainly probably the most impressive non Tesla EV effort to date.
For most people the most important thing about a car is how it looks.

Range is definitely poor compared to Tesla, but I am sure the interior and build quality is going to be much better than what you get in a Tesla. Looks are subjective and for me at least after a certain point acceleration really doesn't matter for most people.

But in the end more choices is always better.

Instead of the 100k+ car I am more interested in when people can make 250+ miles for less than 50k and for me at least when I can start buying them second hand at a reasonable price.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
For most people the most important thing about a car is how it looks.

Range is definitely poor compared to Tesla, but I am sure the interior and build quality is going to be much better than what you get in a Tesla. Looks are subjective and for me at least after a certain point acceleration really doesn't matter for most people.

But in the end more choices is always better.

Instead of the 100k+ car I am more interested in when people can make 250+ miles for less than 50k and for me at least when I can start buying them second hand at a reasonable price.

Yeah people that want an ultra premium interior will probably prefer this. I'm of the opinion that technology is the new luxury for car interiors, as cars are basically smart cars now, so to me the Model 3 is better than the even the S as it has more superior updated tech.

I'm sure you're aware the 39k Model 3 gets 240 miles so that is pretty darn close to those requirements, I think the Hyundai Kona might be in that ballpark too if they actually start trying to sell them.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah people that want an ultra premium interior will probably prefer this. I'm of the opinion that technology is the new luxury for car interiors, as cars are basically smart cars now, so to me the Model 3 is better than the even the S as it has more superior updated tech.

I'm sure you're aware the 39k Model 3 gets 240 miles so that is pretty darn close to those requirements, I think the Hyundai Kona might be in that ballpark too if they actually start trying to sell them.
Yeah I know about the 3. But for me I am not buying a new car, especially not all of these cars with such new technology.

I will jump in after 5-6 years when the used market is healthy and we know more about the long term costs and problems of owning them.

Shit only gets better and cheaper over time.

I do ok for myself but I am not throwing away that much money on a car. At least not until I am older and don't care about saving anymore.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This pretty much killed the highest trim Tesla for a lot of people who just commute regular distances.
Not only that, but being Porsche the materials won't wear like cheap plastic or be cheap plastic lol. The first time I saw a Tesla Model S, I was baffled at how everything was straight up "cheap" for the price you pay

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Side-view's design looks more like an Aston Martin than a Porsche

But I've never liked anything they've made with 4 doors, so might just be me

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Very nice looking but at the price point it will be a very niche car; nothing to really move the market.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This pretty much killed the highest trim Tesla for a lot of people who just commute regular distances.
Not only that, but being Porsche the materials won't wear like cheap plastic or be cheap plastic lol. The first time I saw a Tesla Model S, I was baffled at how everything was straight up "cheap" for the price you pay

I mean you do realize comparing the highest trims it's $80k more expensive lol I would certainly hope the materials or SOMETHING about it would be better because the specs and performance sure aren't.