• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

trudderham

Nov 9, 2017
This pretty much killed the highest trim Tesla for a lot of people who just commute regular distances.
Not only that, but being Porsche the materials won't wear like cheap plastic or be cheap plastic lol. The first time I saw a Tesla Model S, I was baffled at how everything was straight up "cheap" for the price you pay

Not sure when you last sat in a Model S, but since early 2017 they've replaced all the plastic parts with squidgy pleather (that's fake leather), coated areas like the door pockets with alcantara, replaced the "yacht floor", and generally upgraded all the interior trim and tech. It's a very different car to a couple of years ago.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017

I mean you do realize comparing the highest trims it's $80k more expensive lol I would certainly hope the materials or SOMETHING about it would be better because the specs and performance sure aren't.

Like most expensive things, you're paying for the name. But in this case, the Taycan is much more attractive compared to any Tesla.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Like most expensive things, you're paying for the name. But in this case, the Taycan is much more attractive compared to any Tesla.

It certainly is one good looking car that's for sure. I found a better comparison chart, it's almost double the price if you compare the various trims so:
WCF2PGm_d.jpg

So really I don't even know if they're competing in same market... Taycan is gonna sell like crazy to Porsche enthusiasts I'm sure... but the poster that said the high end Tesla market was killed, not so sure about that.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It has got that all electric car look that's for sure.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Liam Neeson is there to introduce the car with an appropriate pun.

"You could say I am quite taken with this motor vehicle."

"Why, I'd do anything to get this vehicle. I'd even Rob Roy."

"How serious is my lustful desire for this car? You could say it's pretty Dark Man."

"So the only thing they removed from the concept was wireless phone charging. In case you're wondering where the Qi Gone."

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
If you've ever owned a Porsche, you will understand why it's 80k more

ya my dad owns cayanne, its great car but the maintenance is crazy after 4th year. So no I don't think I will ever understand why these german cars cost so much to buy and even more to maintain.

Breakfast Boy

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
It certainly is one good looking car that's for sure. I found a better comparison chart, it's almost double the price if you compare the various trims so:
WCF2PGm_d.jpg

So really I don't even know if they're competing in same market... Taycan is gonna sell like crazy to Porsche enthusiasts I'm sure... but the poster that said the high end Tesla market was killed, not so sure about that.

Yeah those specs don't help Porsche in any way. You'd be crazy to spend way more to get way less.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would gladly spend more to get a Porsche over a Tesla. Porsche makes some of the best cars in the industry and not to mention they are built beautifully. Porsche and BMW have always been tied for me when it comes to cars for enthusiasts.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My God these electric vehicles are stupid expensive. I can't wait for the tech to become more mainstream so they become more affordable

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017

I mean you do realize comparing the highest trims it's $80k more expensive lol I would certainly hope the materials or SOMETHING about it would be better because the specs and performance sure aren't.

Try to go 0-60 in 2.4 secs in a Tesla 10 times in a row. Or drive a complete lap around the Nordschleife at full speed. And then try the same stunt with the Porsche. And then you might realize that Tesla entered a gunfight with a shiny knife. Shiny, yes, but still just a knife. Haven't even started talking about cornering. The Porsche plays in its very own league.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah those specs don't help Porsche in any way. You'd be crazy to spend way more to get way less.
A Nissan GT-R trashed Porsches is the past at half the price, this is not the point. Porsche buyers know why it's more expensive, this car can do a lap on the Ring without compromise , the Tesla can't.

Plus, at least Tesla tells it's customers that, ludicrous mode damages the car in the long run. This thing is build to take the abuse indefinitely. That is a huge thing imo - but of course hard to do marketing with.

Breakfast Boy

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
A Nissan GT-R trashed Porsches is the past at half the price, this is not the point. Porsche buyers know why it's more expensive, this car can do a lap on the Ring without compromise , the Tesla can't.

Plus, at least Tesla tells it's customers that, ludicrous mode damages the car in the long run. This thing is build to take the abuse indefinitely. That is a huge thing imo - but of course hard to do marketing with.

Maybe...this is their first outing in the electric realm so we don't know if it's built to last.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe...this is their first outing in the electric realm so we don't know if it's built to last.
It has been their messaging since the start, to get the Porsche DNA ino a BEV and have a car that can take the abuse until the battery runs out of energy. They showed it with their Ring lap. And they pointed out in the past that the car is not being the fastest at a straight line but be a proper sports car (handling, non stop performance) they even teased sub 3,5sec times - it's actually a suprise they went sub 3sec.

There is a reason Tesla never tried to run the Ring officially.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Lol its a Porsche, its gonna cost more than any competition. I wouldn't be surprised if its 0-60 is underreported as Porsche and in general German manufacturers massively underreport specs/power.

Plus reliability will be through the roof compared to Tesla...which makes night and day

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really find it amusing that a lot of people, including that marques guy and people on Twitter act like a luxury item being more expensive then a non (less) luxury one is a crazy concept. Lol.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Very nice looking but at the price point it will be a very niche car; nothing to really move the market.
No shit. The Porsche brand was never gonna be cheap. They have VW for that. VW will officially unveil the ID.3 next week at the Frankfurt Motor Show. The car will be priced below €30k with more expensive versions with bigger batteries and better performance.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It has been their messaging since the start, to get the Porsche DNA ino a BEV and have a car that can take the abuse until the battery runs out of energy. They showed it with their Ring lap. And they pointed out in the past that the car is not being the fastest at a straight line but be a proper sports car (handling, non stop performance) they even teased sub 3,5sec times - it's actually a suprise they went sub 3sec.

There is a reason Tesla never tried to run the Ring officially.
From what I know, Tesla failed the ring a few years ago as it only made it 1/3 of the way until it hit limp mode. Ever since, they stopped cause it brought too much negative attention.

I also read that some poor dude went to track his Model S at VIR and only got through 1 lap until it blew a few error warnings and went into limp mode

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last year, Porsche apparently sold 35k (ww) 911 cars, this has 20k reservations in the US/EU alone. So in the eyes of Porsche, they already replaced their most iconic car with a EV car. The 911e is going to come out eventually.

Last edited:

kharma45

Oct 26, 2017
I really find it amusing that a lot of people, including that marques guy and people on Twitter act like a luxury item being more expensive then a non (less) luxury one is a crazy concept. Lol.

I look forward to continuing Tesla fan reactions now that the big marques are coming after their market. I can't imagine in any world where if I could afford either of these cars I'd take the Model S.

As an actual car, no doubt it's going to be a better machine. Actual build quality, driving experience when a corner appears. It's going to be no contest. Tesla had their moment in the sun being first to market. Maybe they'll move into supplying drivetrains instead.

Worth a watch. See it launch over and over and over again. Try that in a Model S, not possible

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Think it looks awful. The rear is fine but looks odd. The front is atrocious. Waste of those nice headlights.

People comparing Porsche to Tesla? Porsche are the best sports car maker right now.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
So, I have a question about electric cars. Do all brands use the same charging connector?

For fast charging the world is converging onto CCS which this car uses. Tesla has their own in North America and Chademo is used in a few cars and Japan I think.

For AC it's all J1772, I think Europe has a different connector as they have 3-phase AC there.

Last edited:

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Looks great, inside and out.

The Porsche reputation, reliability, quality, and attention to detail is always outstanding. I would love one of these.

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
god damn that's a gorgeous car

can't wait to buy a used one when it's only 40k in 8 years

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Taycan sounds like some shipping name for relationship involving Taylor Swift.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
It starts at $150k?

I thought their entire goal was to come up with something that was comparable to the S and go right after it?

They came in at almost double...

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Is the move to a total touchscreen (minus the wheel) something car manufacturers want (maybe based on the perception of luxury) / where the market is going, or do drivers generally like it? Like are knobs and dials considered less luxury?

Maybe it's more of an EV thing.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
You were expecting a cheap(er) car from Porsche?

The Porsche CEO said it'll be priced like an entry-level Panemera which is roughly $85k and they've mentioned before countless times that they wanted it priced in the Tesla S range (which starts at 80k)

Is the move to a total touchscreen (minus the wheel) something car manufacturers want (maybe based on the perception of luxury) / where the market is going, or do drivers generally like it? Like are knobs and dials considered less luxury?

Would much rather have tactile feedback

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017

It's sadly not an EV thing.
And I blame Tesla for that.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017

Not really an EV thing. The entire VW Group are switching to touchscreens and capacitive buttons with their new higher segement cars, think A6 and up etc.. Only the lower segment cars are using buttons for the climate control.

New Mercedes and BMW cars has kept the buttons, for example in the new 1 and 3 series.

Audi:

maxresdefault.jpg

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Not really an EV thing. The entire VW Group are switching to touchscreens and capacitive buttons with their new higher segement cars, think A6 and up etc.. Only the lower segment cars are using buttons for the climate control.

New Mercedes and BMW cars has kept the buttons, for example in the new 1 and 3 series.
Yeah, this is an industry trend that is getting complaints. Needing to access a touchscreen to do everything is not very popular. It's fine for a lot of things, but having a knob or button to quickly adjust climate controls is much preferred. For actions that are used while in motion, it could also be a safety concern. You don't want to be scrolling a touchscreen while driving.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
WCF2PGm_d.jpg

Are WLTP and EPA stats comparable?