• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Porsche really should have worked harder to differentiate their exterior styling from the Tesla. Yes there are differences but the overall look is just too similar. I mean come on.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Yeah, this is an industry trend that is getting complaints. Needing to access a touchscreen to do everything is not very popular. It's fine for a lot of things, but having a knob or button to quickly adjust climate controls is much preferred. For actions that are used while in motion, it could also be a safety concern. You don't want to be scrolling a touchscreen while driving.
Phones went through this 10 years ago and there were complaints then as well - they just won't matter as tech will push on (maybe some of these touchscreens can give some feedback soon). BTW, the Model S has two knobs on the steering wheel (located on your thumbs) for quickly scrolling climate control among other things.

The Taycan looks beautiful but I'm a bit confused over the price tag for something that was supposed to compete with the Model S (which itself doesn't sell that much now that the 3 is out). For way more money you get something that accelerates more slowly (and for day to day drivers in 4 door sedans this matter much, much more than repeated launches/laps on a track), has less space, costs more to maintain, costs more to operate, is less efficient (worse for the environment), has less range, takes longer to charge (more kwh to be charged needed per mile driven), doesn't have a baked-in charging infrastructure and will inevitably have launch quality issues as well.

I'm all for more EV choices but was expecting this around 90-100k to start...as is it just looks like a niche vehicle designed to market a brands tech and maybe help with fleet efficiency numbers.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
People comparing Porsche to Tesla? Porsche are the best sports car maker right now.
EV comparison maybe, but I think comparing Tesla to Porsche is ridiculous. Luxury sedan vs sports car. Historical reputation. The quality of Porsche is so well established and respected that there are very few car companies that compare.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Are those normal size cup holders

EDoIPqoXYAcpXP2
finally a sports car that can fit my super big gulp cup

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I cant wait to see the range for their "cheaper" version. Porsche makes expensive sports cars. (somewhat affordable if bought used). This is not the company that will challenge Tesla, at least for EV market control.

Also, that interior looks very dated already, unless they are going for a retro look.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The 270kW peak charge rate is impressive, finally someone beat Tesla in charging speed.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I love it from the inside and outside. Amazing job Porsche. I'm, however, all-in with Tesla. If I can land VP/executive job in the next few years, I'll get the Model S. And then in some years, a Taycan if I'm able to.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I mean you do realize comparing the highest trims it's $80k more expensive lol I would certainly hope the materials or SOMETHING about it would be better because the specs and performance sure aren't.

Please all of you, take a look at this whole conversation with Chris Harris. As many have already said, it's not just about numbers. Otherwise cars like a Rolls Royce or Bentleys wouldn't exist.
The Taycan will be the better engineered product, no doubt about it. It also charges faster, which makes the smaller range almost irrelevant.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
^^^ something about a car going 170 mph with basically no engine noise is still really novel and cool

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful car. I think for now it doesn't really make sense to compare it with the Model S. Once they launch the lower end trim next year it'll be a different story, though. At the same time I personally don't think the Nordschleife defense holds up too much. Yes, some people will take the car to the track but 90% of the people buying this probably don't and won't care about that.
For most people this will simply be an extremely sporty electric family sedan and that's where the Model S comparisons come in.

Wait, does it not come with a CCS charge port? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful car. I think for now it doesn't really make sense to compare it with the Model S. Once they launch the lower end trim next year it'll be a different story, though. At the same time I personally don't think the Nordschleife defense holds up too much. Yes, some people will take the car to the track but 90% of the people buying this probably don't and won't care about that.
For most people this will simply be an extremely sporty electric family sedan and that's where the Model S comparisons come in.

Wait, does it not come with a CCS charge port? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Of course most Porsche buyers will never have the luck to drive their car on the Nordschleife. That's not the point. But any Porsche must be able to deliver the performance for such an adventure anytime, everywhere, all the time. This is what Porsche stands for. This is what the Taycan stands for. No compromises until the battery's empty.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Of course most Porsche buyers will never have the luck to drive their car on the Nordschleife. That's not the point. But any Porsche must be able to deliver the performance for such an adventure anytime, everywhere, all the time. This is what Porsche stands for. This is what the Taycan stands for. No compromises until the battery's empty.
Well, I get it. That's a great promise. But if you never drive on a track you won't need that promise but you still pay the price for the potential.
That's just a waste of money unless you can afford to pay the premium just for the bragging rights.
I guess my point is that this is great for rich Porsche enthusiasts but it doesn't really move the needle to get EVs to the mainstream.
Model Ss are still crazy expensive but compared to a Taycan they're much more affordable for the upper middle class.
I really hope the VW ID.3 delivers on that front.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, I get it. That's a great promise. But if you never drive on a track you won't need that promise but you still pay the price for the potential.
That's just a waste of money unless you can afford to pay the premium just for the bragging rights.
I guess my point is that this is great for rich Porsche enthusiasts but it doesn't really move the needle to get EVs to the mainstream.
Model Ss are still crazy expensive but compared to a Taycan they're much more affordable for the upper middle class.

This car is not for the masses.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The Taycan is a luxury vehicle. It's not supposed to bring electric mobility to the masses. Porsche never was a brand for the masses. And it will never be.
But someone who wants a luxurious electric sportscar that can be driven daily as well as on the track then this thing is the best there is.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
The Taycan is a luxury vehicle. It's not supposed to bring electric mobility to the masses. Porsche never was a brand for the masses. And it will never be.
But someone who wants a luxurious electric sportscar that can be driven daily as well as on the track then this thing is the best there is.

While that may have been the case in the past, I wouldn't exactly call them exclusive either these days.
The 718 Cayman, 718 Boxter and the Macan all start under 60k €. Here in Germany (and especially in south Germany, where I live) you can't throw a dead cat without hitting a Porsche.

Like I said, it'll be interesting toi see where they position their entry level Taycan next year.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
While that may have been the case in the past, I wouldn't exactly call them exclusive either these days.
The 718 Cayman, 718 Boxter and the Macan all start under 60k €. Here in Germany (and especially in south Germany, where I live) you can't throw a dead cat without hitting a Porsche.

Like I said, it'll be interesting toi see where they position their entry level Taycan next year.
Well, here in Munich you can see probably more 911s than VWs. But still, that's not representative. They start under 60, but with some options you're likely to go way above 70 or 80. That's not really cheap. Just because there's a lot of rich folk here in the south doesn't mean those are cars for the masses. That's simply not true.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'm happy this car exists for the halo effect, and for the competitive pressure on Tesla. That being said, this car is a good example of how far ahead Tesla is

Oct 27, 2017
how can anybody ever afford this...
The same way people can afford 911 turbos, Panamera turbos, and Cayenne turbos - they're rich.

Pretty disappointing reveal. The car looks great (lol at the comparisons to a Tesla - have you ever seen a Porsche before?), and the interior looks fantastic, but way too pricey. And my god, is it heavy. Hopefully they'll reveal the base models soon.

Last edited:

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think people understand that this is a PORSCHE. Why are people expecting it to take over the EV market? This is not for your average Joe wanting a commuter EV. Completely different market. I just hope that Porsche has made some amazing engineering advancements that Tesla and other companies can copy/improve on. These EV can only get better and more advanced as more automakers come to play.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people understand that this is a PORSCHE. Why are people expecting it to take over the EV market? This is not for your average Joe wanting a commuter EV. Completely different market. I just hope that Porsche has made some amazing engineering advancements that Tesla and other companies can copy/improve on. These EV can only get better and more advanced as more automakers come to play.
There will almost certainly be cheaper versions coming in the $100K range. Not average Joe range, but average successful Joe.

I think what Porsche will have difficulty proving is that their $150K-180k electric car is a reasonable alternative to its current ICE models. The Taycan looks nice, but I'd take a GT3RS over it any day.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
There will almost certainly be cheaper versions coming in the $100K range. Not average Joe range, but average successful Joe.

I think what Porsche will have difficulty proving is that their $150K-180k electric car is a reasonable alternative to its current ICE models. The Taycan looks nice, but I'd take a GT3RS over it any day.
I wonder what that cheaper version will lose though..either way it will still be a Porsche. It's a car for drivers, as dumb and pretentious as that might sound. Hard to put a price on that imo. If I had the money I would gladly pay more for the Taycan vs Model S

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
They don't need to. If you have the money to drop $150k+ on a car, you probably already have another car, and it might be a different porsche model.
Yeah this is the mentality. People who have this on reserve probably have a GT3 at least along with a few other "regular Porsches"
Rennlist is going crazy over it lol

Oct 27, 2017
They don't need to. If you have the money to drop $150k+ on a car, you probably already have another car, and it might be a different porsche model.
Lots of people of people can justify buying a $150K car if its something they really desire. The vast majority of Porsche enthusiasts don't own two $150 K cars. Their weekend toy is the $150K car. Their daily driver is usually something like the Model 3/Macan/GTI depending on their budget/tastes.

It remains to be seen if a Taycan can fullfill the role of the fun weekend car.

Yeah this is the mentality. People who have this on reserve probably have a GT3 at least along with a few other "regular Porsches"
Rennlist is going crazy over it lol
I generally get the sense that the folks on Rennlist are pretty disappointed with this.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Lots of people of people can justify buying a $150K car if its something they really desire. The vast majority of Porsche enthusiasts don't own two $150 K cars. Their weekend toy is the $150K car. Their daily driver is usually something like the Model 3/Macan/GTI depending on their budget/tastes.

It remains to be seen if a Taycan can fullfill the role of the fun weekend car.

I see it the other way around. The Taycan would be the weekday commuter, and they'd have a 911/cayman/boxster/non-porsche weekend car. Just like the people who buy a Panamera turbo as their daily driver, but instead want an electric car.

And depending on how rich they are, they'd probably have more than just two cars, or at least more than two cars for a family. Especially if cars are a hobby of theirs. I mean, I'm poor as shit and I have 6 cars.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Try to go 0-60 in 2.4 secs in a Tesla 10 times in a row. Or drive a complete lap around the Nordschleife at full speed. And then try the same stunt with the Porsche. And then you might realize that Tesla entered a gunfight with a shiny knife. Shiny, yes, but still just a knife. Haven't even started talking about cornering. The Porsche plays in its very own league.

Well looks like the gauntlet is being thrown down so we'll see. The new Model S raven is much improved, motors and software, than the ones from like 2015 that were tracked.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Please all of you, take a look at this whole conversation with Chris Harris. As many have already said, it's not just about numbers. Otherwise cars like a Rolls Royce or Bentleys wouldn't exist.
The Taycan will be the better engineered product, no doubt about it. It also charges faster, which makes the smaller range almost irrelevant.

It's funny to see the decade old 911 versus Corvette argument transplanted here. Well it's got a much better interior and it doesn't rattle! Adding insult to injury the Model S is seriously old now.

In the case of 911 vs Vette Porsche developed a whole suite of new tech leaving Chevy's strategy of slapping superchargers on the same old car in the dust. Let's see how Tesla responds.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how well Tesla's plan of disruption and changing of mind set worked. You have poeple choosing specs they feel are important and disregard anything else. People are going to get strokes once a EV Rolls Royce comes along. "What my model 3 has more range and costs 1/100 of a RR, just shows how far ahead Tesla is"

I think this is down to people who never had much interest in cars became Tesla fans and are just not used to the concept of cars being build for richer folks that have different expectations then just a "massive engine on wheels".

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017

Basically. People keep forgetting that these are the Turbo and Turbo S versions. Obviously a cheaper RWD base model is coming down the pipe. And knowing Porsche, a bunch of special editions in-between.

Also, lol at people in general complaining that a Porsche is expensive. No shit. They were never going to make a cheap EV. The cheapest new base Porsche model starts at 51K. Again, base with no options at all.

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand the appeal for high performance electric sports cars. If you're doing it for the environment, fine that's quite noble and nice and I approve. However if you're not doing it out of ethics then why? These cars have no emotion when you drive em, there is no v6/v8/v10 engine noise screaming at you when you push the car into high rpms. These cars accelerate like rockets but are so clynical.