• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the appeal for high performance electric sports cars. If you're doing it for the environment, fine that's quite noble and nice and I approve. However if you're not doing it out of ethics then why? These cars have no emotion when you drive em, there is no v6/v8/v10 engine noise screaming at you when you push the car into high rpms. These cars accelerate like rockets but are so clynical.
Having the full torque on the spot is something the old enthusiasts should experience.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

XQDxt62.jpg

62BWz2u.png

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017

Well looks like the gauntlet is being thrown down so we'll see. The new Model S raven is much improved, motors and software, than the ones from like 2015 that were tracked.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...del-s-nurburgring-lap-attempt-porsche-taycan/

If Tesla's Planning a Nurburgring Lap, They Forgot to Tell the Nurburgring

Yesterday, Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted "Model S on Nürburgring next week." But Nurburgring organizers say the automaker hasn't contacted them, and that there probably isn't any lap time available for them.
It wouldn't make it around the track without limping anyway.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Impressive and beautiful vehicle but again, the EV model as a whole is not attainable by average American. It continues to be toys for the rich. I feel like we are at least a decade away from reasonably priced EV's.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
The track is technically open by the way. But Tesla would have to share the track not only with other manufacturers who are testing their cars or tires but with tourist drivers as well.

It's "kinda hard" to go for a lapped time in those circumstances, let alone try to beat a time which was set by Porsche. But they might still be able to get an idea if preparing for an actual attempt on a closed track makes sense for them.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The track is technically open by the way. But Tesla would have to share the track not only with other manufacturers who are testing their cars or tires but with tourist drivers as well.

It's "kinda hard" to go for a lapped time in those circumstances, let alone try to beat a time which was set by Porsche. But they might still be able to get an idea if preparing for an actual attempt on a closed track makes sense for them.
Looking forward to the Auto Addition video

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the appeal for high performance electric sports cars. If you're doing it for the environment, fine that's quite noble and nice and I approve. However if you're not doing it out of ethics then why? These cars have no emotion when you drive em, there is no v6/v8/v10 engine noise screaming at you when you push the car into high rpms. These cars accelerate like rockets but are so clynical.
Not everyone lives and dies by engine noise.

The Audi R18 diesel spaceship is one of my favorite race cars of all time, and it was eerily silent at speed.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Impressive and beautiful vehicle but again, the EV model as a whole is not attainable by average American. It continues to be toys for the rich. I feel like we are at least a decade away from reasonably priced EV's.
A decade for reasonable priced EVs?? ? Sorry but no way. There already good options coming left and right if you don't only look at Tesla. What is a reasonable price and range in your opinion?

And Nobody should have expected the reveal of a Porsche EV to be for the average American or average German or whatever. It's still a Porsche.

You could slam Audi, a car maker with a bigger range of price and models for only bringing out the E-Tron, a big SUV EV for Soccer Moms as their first and only EV, instead of maybe an A1 or A3 type EV for smaller budget.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
A decade for reasonable priced EVs?? ? Sorry but no way. There already good options coming left and right if you don't only look at Tesla. What is a reasonable price and range in your opinion?

And Nobody should have expected the reveal of a Porsche EV to be for the average American or average German or whatever. It's still a Porsche.

You could slam Audi, a car maker with a bigger range of price and models for only bringing out the E-Tron, a big SUV EV for Soccer Moms as their first and only EV, instead of maybe an A1 or A3 type EV for smaller budget.
Are you guys not following any car news?

Audi cars aren't going to be cheap if they release an A1 or A3. They are still a premium brand. VW though are going to officially unveil the ID.3 next week which is a Golf sized EV for under €30k with more expensive versions with more range and better performance.

VW-ID.3-Reveal-30-range-330-550-km-45-kWh-58-kWh-77-kWh.png

VW-ID.3-Reveal-37-below-30000-euros.png

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017

I think I will be the last person to own EV, and only when I am absolutely forced too.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think I will be the last person to own EV, and only when I am absolutely forced too.
For me cars are just transportation. I would love to save on gas.

After 5-10 years once all the bugs have been worked out and there is a healthy secondary market I will get the Lexus equivalent of an EV (reliable, some luxury and reasonably priced). This is not something I want to be an early adopter on.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Even Audi is more of a premium brand that's not for everyone. That's why they have VW, who are working on an affordable electric car.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was my quick look initial impression as well (side view I needed to look twice to make sure it wasn't a Tesla). That isn't a bad thing though...Model S is gorgeous.

Have y'all never seen a Porsche? As soon as I saw the body I knew it was one, it's unmistakable for a Porsche and looks like an evolution of the Panamera

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Are you guys not following any car news?

Audi cars aren't going to be cheap if they release an A1 or A3. They are still a premium brand. VW though are going to officially unveil the ID.3 next week which is a Golf sized EV for under €30k with more expensive versions with more range and better performance.
Even Audi is more of a premium brand that's not for everyone. That's why they have VW, who are working on an affordable electric car.

Sorry for my unclear post. My Audi example was just for making clear that Porsche is not the one to push general EV adoption or build EVs for a broader audience. They make enthusiast cars, even when it's an EV. Other car makers like Audi (and the whole VAG), who make (premium) cars which are comparable to a Model S or cheaper Model 3, are rather the ones with the obligation to create EVs for a broader audience (not for everyone, what does that even mean, 10k €/$ EVs?). Instead they churned out that E-Tron for around 80k €. I follow the EV development but the ID or an i3, Leaf, golf-e, Bolt etc. is not really something someone looks for when looking for an elegant Tesla alternative in the 30k price range.

EVs are going to have a stony way to go in germany anyway. Germany/ german communities are building the wrong (slower) chargin stations in mass (still not many enough) because they are way cheaper than the quickcharge/fast ones and while the mayors tell how many stations they have build in their city, it's no really good for people who are interested in EVs but don't want to make 3 hour breaks on their vacation drive.

When Dacia starts building EVs for 15k € in europe, you have your EV for "everyone" :). Interested in the first Skoda EV in the size of an Octavia or Superb (they are bringing the CITIGOe iV as only EV atm) since Skoda is very popular here.

Sorry for that OT detour.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Record attempt sep 21 with new P100D+ prototype

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
You'll be able to test drive the Tay-Taycan in GT Sport in October. You can even race it against an older Tesla Model S on the Ring.

Me - I'll be waiting on a useable electric pickup.

Oct 27, 2017
No surprise. Tesla makes good cars for daily driving, but they are not performance cars. Maybe the roadster will be different, if it ever gets built.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
No surprise. Tesla makes good cars for daily driving, but they are not performance cars. Maybe the roadster will be different, if it ever gets built.

Prototypes sometimes break down while blitzing the Nurburgring. And while this is normal, such occasions mean that spy shooters can get up close and personal with test cars. Well, the 992 Porsche 911 GT3 had such an episode today and guess what? It's aero got photographed in detail.
You mean for performance like that Porsche? Everyone needs to settle down and stop reading so much into it, prototypes break down.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Bump for more Taycan news. The "cheaper" models are starting to trickle out, starting with the 4S models. No range listed yet, but:

The 4S offers a choice between two batteries, a 79.2-kWh pack and a larger 93.4-kWh module. The former delivers up to 522 horsepower for brief periods or 429 ponies continuously, while the latter bumps output to 563 horses.
Both battery configurations launch from zero to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds and top out at 155 mph despite different power ratings, adding more than a second to the range-topping Turbo S' 2.6-second benchmark.

https://leftlanenews.com/porsche/porsche-taycan-4s/

Starts at $103,800. 47k cheaper than the announced Turbo and 80k cheaper than the Turbo S. Only thing left are the RWD variants which should be even cheaper.

kharma45

Oct 26, 2017