• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I remember seeing Shroud tear it up in Apex when it first came out, then seeing he was running at over 144hz or something. Then I got my own 144hz freesync monitor and the first experience with it made the chaos of Warframe's effect clear and easy to navigate to keep a track of the enemies I was aiming at. It felt like Quick Silver in slow mo for lack of a better explanation.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sponsored by nVidia, but I definitely agree, just the input lag feels better on higher FPS in my opinion
Hold up, they are giving low end cards for the 60hz monitor?!?!?! Doesn't that skew the results? He's flat out testing GPU performance + Monitor refresh rate now.

The higher end nVidia cards will give 300+ fps in a 240hz environment VS 60-70fps in a 60hz environment will be a significant difference

This is such a good video though, every PC gamer should watch it. Lots of tests and skill level subjects

Last edited:

banter

Jan 12, 2018
It doesn't "make you a better gamer", it just gives you an advantage in reaction time. If you're bad at a game you aren't suddenly going to be better at it because of a higher framerate.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
No, riot did their own study better latency and fps helps but not having skills will always cap you. It helps on the margins but if you lack in general it won't make up for it.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i noticed it myself playing games on my old r9 280x after my 1070 broke...60fps vs 200fps is a world of difference

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely helps, but for most people the difference is probably negligible. I still suck plenty at all sorts of games, even though I'm running them at 144fps on my PC. Definitely much nicer to play on though.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
It just got a laptop with a 2080 and a 240Hz display, it's small and only 1080p but my god it's lovely.

I totally get it now, LoL is the only thing that hits 240 but 90+ is smooth as silk.

My next TV will be 120hz

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Sponsored by nVidia, but I definitely agree, just the input lag feels better on higher FPS in my opinion
Hold up, they are giving low end cards for the 60hz monitor?!?!?! Doesn't that skew the results? He's flat out testing GPU performance + Monitor refresh rate now.
WalterWhiteYouGotMe.gif

Drakhoran

Jun 7, 2018
Scandinavia
What really surprised me about the video was that high refresh/fps is apparently helps low skill players more than high skill players. It seems skill can to a degree compensate for lower frame/refresh rates.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wouldn't say it makes you a better gamer, but it does allow you to perform at your best easier.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Yes. Of course those charts published by Nvidia should be taken with a grain of salt for obvious reasons. But if you ever tried to be good with artificially capping your FPS at let's say 20 in a shooter and play for some hours and then turn them up to 60fps you would clearly see improvement. Controls and their responsiveness and the available (motion) information increase. So there's no reason to assume the benefits of higher fps/refresh rate would suddenly stop at 60fps. There might be diminishable gains the higher the fps get, so you probably won't improve that much going from 144hz to 240hz. But going from 60fps to 144hz is a huge step and me and brother, going 144hz just a few weeks ago, already noticed improved stats.

Of course it doesn't magically make you better gamer who destroys everything. As others have said, skill is still the most essential thing and can compensate for lower fps. But given the skill of you and competitor is roughly the same, the one with higher FPS/refresh rate will have the edge. So in that sense it can also compensate a bit for lower skill because it can give you that little edge that's sometimes needed and decides whether you die or get that kill.