• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rox

Dec 13, 2017
So like many others when this lockdown happened and I got told I wasn't going into work for a while I figured hell yes I'll finally get round to some of that ever growing backlog of probably 100+ games I've never played/finished (I have a buying problem)

Well I'm on week 2 of lockdown and so far apart from finishing Doom eternal over the span of a few days allI've done is stare at my library of games or procrastinate like fricken crazy

giphy.gif

Is anyone else experiencing this "Burn-out" of games especially now and have some advice on getting past it? Its been bad over the past few years but ATM it's just a lot worse?

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I mean you finished Doom Eternal wich a lot of people seemed to describe as pretty tough to get through so doesn't exactly sound like gamer burnout to me really?

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
I know that problem, too xD But sometimes it's best to just do something else: Read a book, watch a movie or what ever.
For me, sometimes it helps to just start playing something and focus on it. So no cellphone or other devices near me that could get my attention.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I've given myself to my VR backlog in an attempt to be a little more active when locked down.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I have like 10-15 games I want to play but none that I can push myself towards past the first hour. I started The Messenger yesterday instead when I was drinking and I loved it, but I stopped at an hour because I was bored. I've wanted to try nier for 2 years and it's now on gamepass. I even downloaded it. Just can't seem to start it. What's wrong with me lol. HOpefully I hammer out FF7 remake next week

OP
OP
Rox

Rox

Dec 13, 2017
I have like 10-15 games I want to play but none that I can push myself towards past the first hour. I started The Messenger yesterday instead when I was drinking and I loved it, but I stopped at an hour because I was bored. I've wanted to try nier for 2 years and it's now on gamepass. I even downloaded it. Just can't seem to start it. What's wrong with me lol. HOpefully I hammer out FF7 remake next week

I feel ya its the same with me :/ I tried playing DmC 5 from game pass there and switched it off.....download nier also and haven't started it up so much backlog its overwhelming,

I'm hoping the same about FFVII.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Read a book. Watch some movies. People need balance in their lives and you are mentally committing yourself to playing game and thinking about games, then you're going to burn out real quick.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I feel ya its the same with me :/ I tried playing DmC 5 from game pass there and switched it off.....so much backlog its overwhelming,
That game is AMAZING. My GOTY of 2019. And as the other guy said, yeah you need to invest in other forms of entertainment. Buy a book on amazon or watch tv/anime/movies.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes its hard for me to give a game enough time to really get into it. I have a thousand others to play and it's easy get into a habit of thinking i can judge a game after 30min or an hour. Maybe pick something and stick with it for a good 10 hours as long as in s not terrible. I'm often surprised at the games and that grow on me after awhile.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have even more of a limited time to game which is weird, even with that I've bought about 4 PS4 games and 6 Switch games, damn you sales ha ha.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best cure for this problem is to just start a game. Any of them. If you enjoy it then every other game is irrelevant until you have to chose again.

I used to do the exact same thing and the best result is just to start one. I started doing this in mind January and I've completed seven games in ten weeks. That's more games completed than I had finished in the two years combined before that lol.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I am having a great time so far, all my friends are on lockdown too so we always loads of people online to play with. We have been playing COD Warzone, Dauntless, Fortnite and some FFXIV all for free. Then today we bought Division 2 as it was only £8 so playing through that with my friends at the minute.

I also picked up Doom Eternal but not had time to play it much as always end up going online with my friends on the other games and then got FFVII Remake on Friday.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I've finished 21 games since the start of the year, so this lockdown things has the opposite effect on me. :p

Saving a lot of time on commuting and not going out helps reduce that backlog.

OP
OP
Rox

Rox

Dec 13, 2017
I've finished 21 games since the start of the year, so this lockdown things has the opposite effect on me. :p

Saving a lot of time on commuting and not going out helps reduce that backlog.

I don't thin my play/complete ratio is anywhere near that in a year let alone a few months! I just get side tracked to another game a lot and never go back.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It's worse when you have a data cap so i can't just download a new game or stream stuff willy nilly when i have to share only 1 tb with 5 other people. :/