• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I was having a panic attack so I jumped out of my car near a store and calmed myself down, but when I able to finally think straight I realized that I had left my keys inside the car and I have no backup key to open the car with.

I don't have much money right now thanks to hospital expenses and we need that car for transportation. I don't think I can afford service to come open it for me. Are there any alternatives I could try?

The car is a 2002 Lexus ES300.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If you can find any security around they may be able to attempt to slim jim it.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Do you have a tennis ball?

Cut a hole that can over over the key lock on the door. Smash the tennis ball in and the air pressure should pop the lock. Idk if this works on newer cars tho

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Love the old mid 90s Ford Explorers/Rangers where all you had to do was take off the radio antenna and stick it under the door handle and shimmy. Was always a shame they eventually changed that.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The window glass is going for about $75 shipped on ebay. You can replace it yourself with hand tools.

I'm sorry that totally sucks. :/

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I looked it up and it worked on like SAABS from the 80's, haha scratch that.

My mom got one of these in the mid 90s used. What a piece of garbage. I liked riding in it though cause the back was comfortable but it always broke down so I did not get to do it much. Not surprised you could get into one with a tennis ball.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Your mobile service may include roadside assistance as part of bill .was paying for it with AT&T without ever knowing.

A coat hanger or slim Jim.

Ask police or security for assistance.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It's almost midnight over here so my options are a bit more limited. I called the police and they told me that unfortunately the people who have the tools for this are off-duty. Can't use the old rope trick to open the lock since it's a newerish model.

There is someone who can open the car but he's over 35 minutes away and charges $150 for the service.

I guess that's cheaper than breaking and repairing a whole window but even $150 is super tight right now.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It's almost midnight over here so my options are a bit more limited. I called the police and they told me that unfortunately the people who have the tools for this are off-duty. Can't use the old rope trick to open the lock since it's a newerish model.

There is someone who can open the car but he's over 35 minutes away and charges $150 for the service.

I guess that's cheaper than breaking and repairing a whole window but even $150 is super tight right now.
What mobile phone provider do you have?

Edit: heading to bed now If not eneolled in their roadside assistance service many mobile carriers will have a one time use/per use fee of $90~ for roadside assistance including locking yourself out could save a bit. I know this is true of verizon, T-Mobile and ATT.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
What mobile phone provider do you have?

Edit: heading to bed now If not eneolled in their roadside assistance service many mobile carriers will have a one time use/per use fee of $90~ for roadside assistance including locking yourself out could save a bit. I know this is true of verizon, T-Mobile and ATT.
T-Mobile. I'll try giving them a call soon. If not, then tomorrow.
My area has a 24/7 service for $55 surely yours does
I'll definitely look into that. Sorry my mind isn't fully there since I just had a panic attack and couldn't breathe for a good while. I know that there are so many options but my mind is drawing a blank.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Is the car running right now?(which I hope its not) If not, do you have a spare key at your house? If so then uber home, get the spare key, and uber back.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
T-Mobile. I'll try giving them a call soon. If not, then tomorrow.

I'll definitely look into that. Sorry my mind isn't fully there since I just had a panic attack and couldn't breathe for a good while. I know that there are so many options but my mind is drawing a blank.
T mobile has free 24/7 service in the states. Started last year. Iirc.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I can't imagine suggesting breaking the window is better than calling the police or a locksmith.

Funny enough, I actually had to do this two days ago when my house key broke. It broke in the lock! It was $80, so not too bad, thankfully.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Last time this happened to me I just used a piece of string with a loop tied in it. Work it around the car door and pull it down so the loop goes over the door lock thing, pull the string tight and then lift it up. It only works if you have the door lock on the top of the door next to the glass. To get the string past the door seals you can lever it out a little with a screwdriver.

Here's a video similar to what I did.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Don't break the window. That will be the most expensive repair plus ... The window will be broken until then.

Nearly every tow service offers unlocking services. Prices will vary depending on the company. Probably the cheapest option though if Police cannot do it tonight. Note that that Lexus has a pretty well shielded mechanism to prevent theft so there could possibly be a little damage but nothing like a window.

If you are handy with a Wire coat hangar you can push one through the window seal or door by wedging it with something and pushing the unlock button on the door. It's tricky since you're at a wierd angle and you will have to bend the wire a bit a few ways until you get the hanger where you want it, but it can be done I've opened my friend's locked cars for them when they lock their keys in the car. Make sure the end the hangar is going to pushing on the lock is the one with more surface area. Bend a loop in it at the end.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough, I actually had to do this two days ago when my house key broke. It broke in the lock! It was $80, so not too bad, thankfully.

I had that happen when I was a kid. Went to open the front door after school and the key just snapped. Had to wait outside for hours for my mom to get home from work lol

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
bricks-red0126mco-64_1000.jpg

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
Don't smash the window OP you'll be finding glass forever.

If you have another key see if someone can give you lift home.

I don't think pulling the door handle from inside works anymore on newer cars unless the the central locking has been disabled.

If your key is in the ignition see if u can slip something between the windows and try to turn it in the ignition, this is how I unlocked my car when I did it.

If you have exhausted the alternatives just pay a professional to unlock it. Expensive I know but at least you won't be finding glass forever and have to deal with getting the glass replaced.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Last time this happened to me I just used a piece of string with a loop tied in it. Work it around the car door and pull it down so the loop goes over the door lock thing, pull the string tight and then lift it up. It only works if you have the door lock on the top of the door next to the glass. To get the string past the door seals you can lever it out a little with a screwdriver.

Here's a video similar to what I did.

Locks on my car are messed up. Sometime they won't unlock with the key and I have done this numerous times.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
If its an onstar vehicle it can be remote unlocked by calling Onstar

Uhh other than that if you have a spare key anywhere maybe call a friend?

machine

Oct 25, 2017
Newer cars are harder to get into unless you use a slim jim. Old cars were easy to get into with just a coat hanger, especially if they had a knob like this:
youtube_BN_3FhI3DMA.jpg

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Just wanted to share an update: I got my keys back! My insurance covered the costs and called a tow truck to get the keys from the car. He was able to do it after a couple of attempts.

Then the car didn't want to start lol. Luckily he was still here so he was able to jumpstart the vehicle!

I'm so happy!