• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
They only should announce it with a price. If you just say we will also have a weaker console and you don't say how much cheaper it is,
that sounds like a bad move to me.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Probably do it on Monday or the Monday after with a DF reveal. DF did say they had more Series X content that would be trickling out so they could have that scheduled for next week to get away from the PS5 fallout and have the news cycle to themselves again.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
It should be soon especially with the Road to PS5 blunder and Sony's weaker overall hardware showing. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce the price of Lockheart before the series X. I believe some of the rumors were that Lockheart would have a traditional set top box form factor and with the thermals not being a concern and no disc drive the box could be like a Xbone One X cut in half in terms of size.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It would be weird timing after the PS5 spec reveal. A Lockhart type console is probably weaker than a PS5 and lots of people will start comparing the PS5 and the Lockhart console which would be bad optics.

I doubt they would reveal anything about a weaker console variant unless Sony releases a price for the PS5 and the Lockhart is pretty close spec-wise and they can sell it for less than the PS5.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Doesn't make any sense to have two consoles so close together performance wise.
Exactly. I imagine it'll aim to deliver 1080p / 1440p resolutions, so anything around 4 TFLOPS should be fine. It's certainly an intriguing proposition. I'm leaning towards a PS5 but if Lockhart is real then I'll certainly buy one for GamePass alone.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Jez talked on the podcast yesterday. DF saw more then Series X when they were at MS.
Also the source that gave correct info on the Series X a whole year ago as talked about Lockhart being the 4TF etc. With Series X being on point i guess that one is also.

blalala

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see any reason for them to announce the lockheart before more details (price, games) about the series x and ps5 become available. Without those details all it will do is confuse the customer, why are there 2 consoles, which one do I need?

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. I imagine it'll aim to deliver 1080p / 1440p resolutions, so anything around 4 TFLOPS should be fine. It's certainly an intriguing proposition. I'm leaning towards a PS5 but if Lockhart is real then I'll certainly buy one for GamePass alone.

yupp. For 1080p sans Raytracing this should be capable. Given they are using the same CPU and memory specs

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do they need Lockhart after the PS5 reveal?

If they want to sell more than this gen they better try hard.

bc and better specs didn't help them this gen so why should it magically do wonders next time.

Lockhart will help in the us/uk/etc. with price sensitive users. The rest of the world won't give a damn as is tradition but another try is the right way forward.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

bc and better specs didn't help them this gen so why should it magically do wonders next time.

Lockhart will help in the us/uk/etc. with price sensitive users. The rest of the world won't give a damn as is tradition but another try is the right way forward.
One X never was made to sell alot of units. MS said themself One S would easily sell more.

Murdock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando

"Try hard"? They've done everything imaginable since they fucked up the xbox one launch.

Last edited:

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Do they really need to release this? Ps5 not gonna be a whole lot cheaper then series x. Especially when yall keep saying these two beast are on par with each other.
It's not about PS, it's about those people who don't care about high end graphics and just want to play their games decent. For me it makes sense to finally have two consoles of the same platform that address both target groups.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
wacky left field theory: what if lockhart isn'ta console, but a pci e technology bridge for pc?

like 0 percent chance, but i have been hopping sony our ms would do something like that ( ssd, or at least the hardware decompression, 3d auto chip, and any other unique hardware that pcs don't have)

Jul 26, 2018
Is it bothering anyone else that devs will most likely have to work around the limitations of Lockhart going forwards?

This might benefit Sony in the long run given that their exclusives will probably look head and shoulders above everything else.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to make a $300 console that runs games with XSX graphics, but in 1080p instead of 4K?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do they really need to release this? Ps5 not gonna be a whole lot cheaper then series x. Especially when yall keep saying these two beast are on par with each other.

"Try hard"? They've done everything imaginable since they fucked up the xbox one launch.

And i look forward to my Series X on day 1. I want them to try as hard as they can.

But i still think it's not going to change the end result. It will sell better in the us/uk/etc. but not enough to beat Sony. The one time they almost did it, Sony fucked up badly and ms had nearly every advantage available to them. In the end they still couldn't beat Sony.

so again I wish them best of luck. I will enjoy my Series X with Game Pass.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Do they need Lockhart after the PS5 reveal?
imagine this thing is like, £100 to £150 cheaper than the PS5 and they sell it in such a way that it still appeals (games look great in 1080p, games can use cloud based whatever to do something cool etc), it could really sell well.
it might give them that sub £200 sales boost that consoles get many years down the line, but on day one
also of course microsoft's goal is gamepass/services rather than hardware profits so if they can ensnare more people then they're on to a winner

E-bite

Oct 24, 2018
My guess: Lockhart will be able to run Series X games at 1080p (or lower) "automatically". no additional work is required from devs. and it'll be $200 cheaper than Series X.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really can't see a 100 USD difference between PS5 and Series X as so many people believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.