• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Found this very interesting guide and thought about the discussion on here.
Which do you see the most and which do you yourself often misuse?

I think the "black-and-white" is abused the most on here.

oqqc6h36o7h31.jpg

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be a tie between black or white and strawman here as an extreme counter to middle ground, which is also dumb

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
yea black & white, also known as bifurcation fallacy/false dichotomy

you also see special pleading, appeal to emotion, and personal incredulity alot

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Being able to identify and counter logical fallacies are useful critical thinking and communication skills. The counter being the overlooked more important part as it is much more difficult to refine.

What you see instead on the internet, particularly the rationale types, is just the identify part. And often even identifying isn't done all that well and is slung more like I Am Smarter Than You insult. Telling someone they are making a strawman argument usually just results in a discussion dissolving into no substance. Be an effective communicator rather than someone who sounds like they have the List of Fallacies wikipedia article on speed dial.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've never quite understood why burden of proof is a logical fallacy. All it does is defend the status quo.

Because it's an intellectual out. You can fire off the most outlandish claims, and then sit back and smugly remark, "Nope. Show me the proof that I'm wrong." It's beyond lazy and disingenuous.

Uh, how about no. YOU show me that your outlandish claims have any substance to them. Why are you putting the burden of disproving a negative on me?

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Being able to identify and counter logical fallacies are useful critical thinking and communication skills. The counter being the overlooked more important part as it is much more difficult to refine.

What you see instead on the internet, particularly the rationale types, is just the identify part. And often even identifying isn't done all that well and is slung more like I Am Smarter Than You insult. Telling someone they are making a strawman argument usually just results in a discussion dissolving into no substance. Be an effective communicator rather than someone who sounds like they have the List of Fallacies wikipedia article on speed dial.

This a good post

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people just use these as slogans without engaging in substance.

If you point to expert opinion some logic bro will scream "argument to authority!"

If you point out conflict of interest its "dude, ad hominim!"

If you draw attention to a mischaracterisation its "no true scotsman!"

So very tiresome, superficial, and lazy.

OP
OP
Zukuu

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017

Even the thing you describe is on the chart "the fallacy fallacy"

Now I'm wondering if there is the same guide with a "how to response"-chart.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I've never quite understood why burden of proof is a logical fallacy. All it does is defend the status quo.
Burdeb of proof is incredibly prevalent amongst the alt right. It's the entire crux behind their "debate me" tactic. Because they spend a lot of time saying false things. See the deb conversation from the ion fury devs about people who're trans.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Can people give examples of the things they say they see instead of just saying they exist?

Not attempting to deny they exist, but it would be good to understand what position people are coming from.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm wondering if there is the same guide with a "how to response"-chart.
If you find a shortcut here, bottle it and become a billionaire.

In my experience it is a slow, prodding thing that only comes with an unbelievable amount of discussion and practice.

Fortunately we don't have much to do here on an internet forum except talk so plenty of opportunity.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the most important thing is that everyone who isn't you is using fallacies all the time.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Around here...

- Slippery Slope
- Black & White
- Anecdotal / Sharpshooter
- Burden of Proof

Jam

Oct 25, 2017

This. As a framework they're great but the recent spike in awareness of them has led to online discussion falling off a cliff, people read a wikipedia article once and instead of engaging with text they just shout STRAWMAN.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I fucking love Ad hominems. There was a thread on gaming where someone made a 5 hour video talking about Persona 5 (presumably negatively) and some of thread is summed up as
LOL! You must have no life to make a 5 hour video against something

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
This. As a framework they're great but the recent spike in awareness of them has led to online discussion falling off a cliff, people read a wikipedia article once and instead of engaging with text they just shout STRAWMAN.
Yeah. People often like to flaunt terminology that make them sound sophisticated. I barely made it through the ludonarrative dissonance craze, and the widespread overuse of the term problematic is just now beginning to die down.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America

Yes and in some variants this too is known as the "fallacy fallacy" or "argument from fallacy"!

Argument from fallacy is the formal fallacy of analyzing an argument and inferring that, since it contains a fallacy, its conclusion must be false. It is also called argument to logic (argumentum ad logicam), the fallacy fallacy, the fallacist's fallacy, and the bad reasons fallacy.

Last edited:

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
If the intial argument doesn't have any proof then it's not a valid argument, it's an opinion.
Because it's an intellectual out. You can fire off the most outlandish claims, and then sit back and smugly remark, "Nope. Show me the proof that I'm wrong." It's beyond lazy and disingenuous.

Uh, how about no. YOU show me that your outlandish claims have any substance to them. Why are you putting the burden of disproving a negative on me?
Burdeb of proof is incredibly prevalent amongst the alt right. It's the entire crux behind their "debate me" tactic. Because they spend a lot of time saying false things. See the deb conversation from the ion fury devs about people who're trans.
Crossing Eden put it better than I could have

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the misuse of burden of proof is an effective argument against the concept itself.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Mostly on contentious topics:

Black or White, Begging the Question, Anecdotal, Bandwagon, Composition/Division, Appeal to Authority, Strawman, Genetic, False Cause and Loaded Question when reading many posts by some ardent atheists and anti-theists regarding religion or spirituality.

Black or White, Ad hominem, the Fallacy Fallacy, and Slippery Slope I've encountered pretty commonly in the political threads.
Special Pleading, Ambiguity, Slippery Slope, Loaded Question, Bandwagon, Strawman, Ad Hominem("you're so woke!") and Tu Quogue in conversations about Indigenous self-determination, representation and related topics.

I try to be careful but I've caught myself using ambiguity and Texas sharpshooter often. Also when making assumptions false cause is often found in my conclusions on reflection.

May 29, 2019

Having personally encountered this with folks who lean right, it always seems off-putting. I can't offer a hug, look in the eye, or use other interpersonal skills I utilize face to face when I'm typing into the void.

If I'm slipping into fallacious territory, I would like to be called on it, but I know from encountering this, I lack tact in the "how to encounter" over a message board in particular.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm aware of all of them and actively try to avoid all of them in my argumentation.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
For each of these, I could probably give you a far-right personality who excels in at least one of these.

Ben Shapiro, for example, asks so many Loaded Questions that his mouth should be registered as a personal firearm. Then when he's backed into a corner, he pulls out a Tu Quoque to avoid answering the question. Then of course, the Slippery Slope fallacy of "where do we draw the line with genders?" as if there wouldn't be a line drawn at all.

I see a lot of Appeal to Emotion from lefties on Twitter, and they're almost always correct like when they criticize Charlie Kirk for saying something stupid or whatever. But then there are other times when they take any genuine criticism of something "left" or "liberal" way too personally and don't make any concrete points.

Which is fine I guess, not everything has to be a debate, but it's generally hard to take someone seriously when they just jump to emotional responses. There are exceptions to that rule, too.

Before I joined NeoGAF (and later, Era), I used to be one of those "enlightened centrist" assholes (Middle Ground Fallacy) who thought that the truth was somewhere in the middle. I would honestly still think that, if the Overton Window had not shifted so far to the right that whatever the hell "center-right" and "center-left" are/used to be are completely obscured by racist assholes and the retaliation to racist assholes

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People cry "as hominem" a lot, but it's often misused. Sometimes an insult is just an insult. Also, it's reasonable to take "don't spend time debating dirtbags" as a heuristic.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For each of these, I could probably give you a far-right personality who excels in at least one of these.

Ben Shapiro, for example, asks so many Loaded Questions that his mouth should be registered as a personal firearm. Then when he's backed into a corner, he pulls out a Tu Quoque to avoid answering the question. Then of course, the Slippery Slope fallacy of "where do we draw the line with genders?" as if there wouldn't be a line drawn at all.

I see a lot of Appeal to Emotion from lefties on Twitter, and they're almost always correct like when they criticize Charlie Kirk for saying something stupid or whatever. But then there are other times when they take any genuine criticism of something "left" or "liberal" way too personally and don't make any concrete points.

Which is fine I guess, not everything has to be a debate, but it's generally hard to take someone seriously when they just jump to emotional responses. There are exceptions to that rule, too.

Before I joined NeoGAF (and later, Era), I used to be one of those "enlightened centrist" assholes (Middle Ground Fallacy) who thought that the truth was somewhere in the middle. I would honestly still think that, if the Overton Window had not shifted so far to the right that whatever the hell "center-right" and "center-left" are/used to be are completely obscured by racist assholes and the retaliation to racist assholes
Shapiro straight up uses sophistry. He confuses rhetoric for valid argumentation.

That's generally the trick with these IDW types. They don't care about making valid arguments they just wanna push their propaganda by any means necessary. Somehow, people like Shapiro tricks folks into thinking they're doing more than that.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
There are quite a few on there that are not logical fallacies, such as loaded questions. Isn't this more like a list of unfair debate tactics?

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
But the entire crux of "debate me" is that it's your job to endlessly cite sources against their false claims.

In a tangential note: it's important to be logically sound and knowledgeable of the art of debate when engaging in arguments in which logic is priority. Most netizens just like to sling MUD!! Fruitless really..

But debate has to be a fair platform. That's the core of logical rhetoric: balance.

Using the likes of fallacious identification, one component of debate, as a one sided way of saying, 'All things taken personally are automatically the same as a baby crying in the wind,' is not fair. It's not really compassionate.

When talking with someone, sometimes it's okay to view them as a person, not as an opponent.

Rational decisions are key in making important decisions and driving healthy discourse.

But if someone's lost a loved one, or venting their frustrations, or despairing at their peoples being relentlessly preyed upon, sometimes it's okay to just let them grieve. Because in that moment, emotion isn't illogical; it's natural.

Right, Spock?

main-qimg-ec325dccdb9f026ce7d23283b0eeb0d6.webp

He'd agree..!!

Last edited:

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
This is an okay guide. Although I bet a few internet armchair experts will use it this way: