• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why they are releasing this so close to next gen, but here it is..

Logitech G923 TRUEFORCE Sim Racing Wheel for Xbox, Playstation and PC

Shop G923 Racing Wheel. Features next gen force feedback, launch assist control, premium build, RPM indicator, on-wheel controls, progressive brake pedal and more.
Meet the next generation of racing wheels. The award-winning Logitech G design is reengineered to dial into your game physics, delivering unprecedented realism. Feel the pistons pumping, the gravel crunching, and every shift, drift, and hairpin turn like never before.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
OP, the XSX and PS5 can use these peripherals just fine. The PS5 is only blocking the DS4.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Alonso looked like he had more fun in that short clip than in his entire second stint at McLaren.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Surprised they don't specifically mention ps5 and Series x but they'll definitely work after the recent announcements from both.

I really wish you could just buy 1 wheel instead of them being separate I've been thinking about getting one of these but want to play Forza and Gran Turismo. Maybe higher end stuff can do that but it gets really expensive from what I've peeked at.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm glad this thing supports both Xbox and PS. I'm gonna need a wheel for Forza and GT come next-gen.

OP
OP
F34R

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
OP, the XSX and PS5 can use these peripherals just fine. The PS5 is only blocking the DS4.
Oh I understand this will be compatible with the new consoles. Just thought they would come out with something geared specifically for next-gen; or at least mention the compatibility.

I'm glad this thing supports both Xbox and PS. I'm gonna need a wheel for Forza and GT come next-gen.
I mean, you'll need two different wheels.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently this uses the same gear driven Force Feedback system as they used years and years ago. It's a shame, because after trying the belt driven system of Thrustmaster, it's hard to come back to that.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone wants a proper review on this, no doubt Barry @ Sim Racing Garage will be uploading one soon. No one does it better.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ive actually really enjoyed my G920, that I picked up for super cheap....I wonder if this will be a worthwhile upgrade. Probably dont need to...but maybe....

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was so pissed when I bought that expensive Logitech G27 and then they decided not to add PS4 support to it. Can't see myself buying another Logitech wheel again.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
Ah, yet another rebadged G27 with gear-based FFB and same old pedals (hence the springs). And w/o shifter of course.

For 200 bucks it would be a bargain. For $400 Logitech can go TrueForce themselves.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Is this another fucking refresh of the 15 years old G25? Because if so, damn.

12eece

Mar 26, 2018
The real question is if the g29 will still work on PS5. Last gen they never released drivers on PS4 for g27.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Oh I understand this will be compatible with the new consoles. Just thought they would come out with something geared specifically for next-gen; or at least mention the compatibility.

I mean, you'll need two different wheels.
it doesn't. you'll need to buy both the xbox and the ps version.

it can be mapped to anything I believe. you can map it to brake bias, or fuel modes for example.

Shit, I think I misunderstood what the Verge article said:

Unlike the G29 and G920, which had different button layouts and capabilities, the G923 is the same whether you are buying the PlayStation 4 model or the one for Xbox. (Both versions work exactly the same when hooked up to a PC.) That includes the more complete button layout and shift indicator lights that were exclusive to the G29 last time around.

nismopower

Oct 29, 2017
Is it really that hard to make a working steering wheel foor both ps4 and x1 ? I remember that my fanatec porsche s wheel can be used on x360, ps3, and pc. So why not make buttons without symbols and make it compatible with ps4/ps5 x1/xsx...

OP
OP
F34R

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really that hard to make a working steering wheel foor both ps4 and x1 ? I remember that my fanatec porsche s wheel can be used on x360, ps3, and pc. So why not make buttons without symbols and make it compatible with ps4/ps5 x1/xsx...
Same. Remember lol, it came with that dongle for the PS3, but it works, so yeah. I still have the dang thing.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
Same company just refreshed MX Master 3 for Mac. For the same price they've removed the dongle to lock you up, lol.

I love Logitech for quality (my streaming setup is G305, C922 and G Pro X headset) and low-key design, but they are A-grade assholes as a business.

CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
PR mentions PS5 and Xbox Series X support specifically, albeit with your typical "final approval pending" caveat, but both are supported just not heavily advertised for now:

www.gamereactor.es

Logitech presenta el volante G923 para PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Series X y PC

El fabricante pone al día su periférico de gama media para amantes del motor como Fernando Alonso.

Apparently this uses the same gear driven Force Feedback system as they used years and years ago. It's a shame, because after trying the belt driven system of Thrustmaster, it's hard to come back to that.

Yeah a bit underwhelming indeed that they're not evolving their (logi) tech to belt-driven or at least something that hasn't been there for so many years.

The real question is if the g29 will still work on PS5. Last gen they never released drivers on PS4 for g27.

Yes, it seems like the G29 is totally supported on PS5.

Alonso looked like he had more fun in that short clip than in his entire second stint at McLaren.

Nah interestingly and funnily enough given the topic at hand he told me he's more of a controller guy for fun quick plays sitting at home when things don't get serious/competitive :P

Last edited:

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
Alonso!!

Y recently bought my G920 for forza horizon and other games, but i wished it worked for me in GT sport and F1 2020 in PS4... :(

Anything regarding to XSX (I think if G920 suits, this will too) and PS5?

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
It's a licencing issue. Sony doesn't want a wheel that works on Xbox as well. This was documented through the blogs Fanatec was putting out years ago, and they found a workaround. If you buy their PS licensed wheel but also buy a Xbox rim, you can use it on Xbox with the Xbox rim attached.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
After playing racing game for all these years using a game pad, I finally tried a racing wheel (G29).
I can't go back.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the pistons pumping something you normally feel in the wheel?
Or maybe you feel it when the engine is about to blow up xD

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Who is currently the top dawg of racing setups? I haven't really looked at this market in a while.
That would be a direct-drive servo wheel, of which there are several.
The Leo Bodnar kit was best when I last looked into it, but I believe it's PC-only.
Fanatec have one which is compatible with Xbox and half the price; but that's still very expensive.

I don't know if there are any direct-drive wheels with PlayStation compatibility; but I'm sure one can probably be adapted to work.
Sim racing can be a never-ending money-pit if you let it.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
Who is currently the top dawg of racing setups? I haven't really looked at this market in a while.

For mass market stuff? Probably Fanatec and their Podium Direct Drive sets. Easily approaches $2k when factoring in pedals, and then you'd need a way to mount it, which would be another $500+ for a solid rig. Fanatec has a wide range of rims for their wheel bases.

You can get even deeper into the pit with lower quantity or made-to-order wheel/pedal sets. You'd be looking at custom fabricated items that can cost thousands for just one component.

Oct 27, 2017
Still pissed at the lack of g27 support on the ps4 and xb1. Logitech isn't seeing a dime from me on the steering wheel front ever again

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
I wonder if there will be a PS5 wheel that uses haptic feedback in some fashion

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
My thoughts so far:

- The trailer seems to be made to get that guy, who doesn't REALLY need a racing wheel, but has never tried it. It wants to show that guy "racing games are so much more exciting with a wheel. Try it!". And I think the trailer achieves that as good as it can. Very well cut together, Alonso is doing a great job to convey the tenseness without making it look silly and the game (Grid 2019) is graphically a good choice. It's also very well edited and cut together. Great work on that end, Logitech.

- Sony said all licensed PS4 peripherals will work on PS5 if the manufacturer gives the support and they also said "We are not saying, all will work, but if your PS4 device doesn't work on a PS5, don't come and blame us" (not a direct quote). So... one terrible thing here could be that Logitech wants you to throw your old G29 away and buy a G923, if you want to play on PS5. I doubt it, but they should clarify that very soon.

- The mechanics...
this is a shot of a G29 internals and right next to it the new G923
18680124956_e35c7ffcca_o.png
logitech_g923_04_206F39B5F45B4D78BA347AE1DFD92E02.jpg

Logitech has again two small, (probably) brushed DC motors on a large gear. No modern, smooth belt drive and probably no brushless. When Logitech states that it will have a 22 times (? I don't have the quote for whatever reason?) higher definition, I THINK what they actually mean is that the process the FFB-signal at 4000Hz instead of 180, which is just... *sigh*. The game with the highest FFB refresh rate, as far as I know, is still Automobilista 1, which does 360Hz FFB. Some games process the tire physics at ultra high rates of ofer 2000 fps, but that doesn't include other things like suspension, hitting a wall etc. that needs to go into physics processing that can change the FFB signal.
This CAN help to smooth the FFB signal internally at make the wheel feel less coggy, which would be a big plus compared to a G29 though. Calling a smart smoothing an over 20 times higher definition is a stretch though. In games that can put out a 200+Hz signal, the new TRUEFORCE could actually convey more information, but not many games do that. Usually FFB signals are put out at half the physics rate, which is almost never over 400 fps in console games.

Edit:
Also... what does "double clutch" have to do with a good line start? When they said double clutch, I thought this is a feature that allows you to use flappy paddles in an in-game config that demands clutch input. Thrustmaster has this auto-clutch feature, which worked as kind of cheating on Forza, because the hardware could shifter faster than the game's auto-clutch. But that this Logitech double clutch helps with line starts... in supported games... no idea what this is.

Last edited:

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, yet another rebadged G27 with gear-based FFB and same old pedals (hence the springs). And w/o shifter of course.

For 200 bucks it would be a bargain. For $400 Logitech can go TrueForce themselves.

If it's anything like the G29, it'll be regularly available on sale. It's a good starter wheel with a fair amount of modding potential. If you want something more mid-range, you have to go Thrustmaster. Logitech have had plenty of opportunity to get into that market, but they've never bitten.

I wonder if there will be a PS5 wheel that uses haptic feedback in some fashion

I'd have thought haptic would be way too subtle considering the forces you get from the main FFB. The Thrustmaster T-GT has a subwoofer in it to try to provide more depth to the feedback, but you barely notice it.

beins

Oct 25, 2017
This is a waste of time if it is still gear-driven. The world has moved on since then to belt or direct drive.

This looks like a 10 year old wheel with a new model number.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
If it's anything like the G29, it'll be regularly available on sale
T150 with pro pedals are the best budget option (Yeah, I know about TM's issues with QC). You can also use your G27 pedals via the cheap adapter. The great thing about TM setup though is the ecosystem. I have better pedals and gear options and not some 13yo design taken out of the box.

My current setup is G29 base with G27 shifter/pedals. To give you perspective how lazy Logitech is: I've bought only wheel base from a friend. Every other part of my past G27, including the DC power brick, works well with G29 base without any issues both on PC and PS4.

I highly suspect G923 will repeat the same story.

So yeah, I'm thinking about jumping to belt-driven T150 despite mediocre PRO pedals and some quality issues.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Considering this seems to add more cost then useful features or quality upgrades compared to the G29, I guess if at some point I do finally end up actually getting a wheel instead of just thinking about it, it'll still be a T150 or G29. Seriously, it's like twice the cost of those. Quite ridiculous.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
I have a g27, but I'm a lot faster with a keyboard :(

GP2 can't leave my brain.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The Fanatec Podium Racing Wheel F1 is the only Sony-licensed direct drive wheel and base package. It works on PS4 and PS5.
Ah, I was looking at their direct-drive bases, not bundles.
It seems they don't sell a stand-alone base with PlayStation compatibility, but that bundle works - and should be compatible with Xbox if you replace the wheel.