• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
So to summarise:

Sources: 5 casulties at London Bridge
Met Police: One man detained

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
really shot that dude in the head damn. and that video from the tweet isn't graphically gorey or anything. more sad i guess since he was on the floor and struggling to get up?

i don't know the circumstances or what he did though, so don't know if it was warranted.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
In the US when these incidents occur, the media uses "casualty" to mean deaths. Apparently that's not the case in the UK.

In the UK our emergency ward - the ER in the US - is sometimes referred to as the casualty ward; it's the immediate urgent treatment place. I assume that's the context that's being used here.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

And it all rolls into Brexit!

Like do we even know if he was masked and a terrorist?

Oct 28, 2017
Just seen a video where the coppers are wrestling with a guy on the floor, then they (the police) all scarper, the guy starts to move off the ground and one of the coppers shoots him or possibly tazes him

That's the video. It might contain someone getting shot in the head so be warned

That looks like a civilian wrestling with him, not a copper. Looks like the cops dragged the civvie away and shot the guy.

5 killed with a knife ? That's unusually high

On London Bridge? It's packed with tourists at all hours of the day. It sounds believable to me.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
It's not even that difficult to remember this, how does it keep happening?

hate to say this but most probably never ever leave their country and set foot on another country to know the difference.

Yah..but it's pretty evident for anyone that ever venture to london that tower bridge and london bridge are two totally separate thing (london bridge is just a bridge)

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hate to say this but most probably never ever leave their country and set foot on another country to know the difference.

Yah..but it's pretty evident for anyone that ever venture to london that tower bridge and london bridge are two totally separate thing (london bridge is just a bridge)

I understand it.

London Bridge is the one they have heard of and Tower Bridge is the one they recognise - so they assume that the one they recognise is London Bridge.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It could be Jim from Siberia but that won't stop idiots saying, this is why we have to leave the EU etc..

Hope the injuries aren't too servere.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I understand it.

London Bridge is the one they have heard of and Tower Bridge is the one they recognise - so they assume that the one they recognise is London Bridge.
Basically this. We always hear about London Bridge, but always see Tower Bridge. Honestly, I'm not sure how many times I've seen London Bridge before today.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Hope everyone will be fine.

Whenever these events happen i'm happy we don't have easy accessible guns in europe.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Very weird to see the cops shoot him at point blank like that, that would be an unusually violent response in the US, let alone a better policed place like London. At least the civilians who disarmed him acted responsibly

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Doubt they wanted to take the chance this knob had a suicide vest. Can't blame them

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Just got an email that my office nearby, which I'm not in today, is currently in lockdown with noone entering or leaving.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Very weird to see the cops shoot him at point blank like that, that would be an unusually violent response in the US, let alone a better policed place like London. At least the civilians who disarmed him acted responsibly
I was thinking the same. Even here in the US where lethal force is a pretty regular occurrence, the cops shooting a seemingly subdued suspect point blank would be very odd, and would likely be the story from then on.

Maybe there was something we couldn't see.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Now transplant this incident to America, replace the knife with a gun and suddenly you have a far more dramatic and deadly incident.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
i hope they didn't just shoot someone with a knife that was already subdued...

It's being treated as a terrorist incident. If there is a viable threat of life our police will respond with lethal force.

Let's not bring stupid comparisons in to America where they shoot people for simply existing.

At the scene, BBC home affairs correspondent Tom Symonds says the police have put in an "enormous cordon".

He said an officer warned him it was "a potential firearms incident" and told him to take "hard cover" if needed.

Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking the same. Even here in the US where lethal force is a pretty regular occurrence, the cops shooting a seemingly subdued suspect point blank would be very odd, and would likely be the story from then on.

Maybe there was something we couldn't see.

If it was a copycat from the 2017 attacks, he could well have been wearing a fake explosive vest or carrying multiple weapons.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I mean if they responded to what possibly is a terrorist attack and see someone on the ground wrestling with a possible victim there can be immediate danger because you don't know how he is armed and whether he might wear a svest

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
As people have already said, UK firearms officers don't tend to shoot people unjustifiably - although obviously it does happen from time to time.

In this case, it looks as though a member of the public was holding the suspect down, then got instructed by the police to get off him and run. If the guy on the ground then made a move to try and go after the civilian who'd only just moved out of the way, or the civilian shouted that he had another weapon, then that might be why the police fired. It's hard to tell from that angle, and without sound.