• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...er-spate-of-fatal-stabbings-and-a3803566.html

London's murder rate has overtaken New York City's for the first time ever, according to a new report.

February marked the first month the UK capital saw more murders than New York, with 15 dead (nine aged 30 or younger).

According to the report in the Sunday Times, London also suffered 22 fatal stabbings and shootings in March, higher than the 21 in the Big Apple.

Both cities have similarly sized populations of around 8.5m people. New York City's murder rate has decreased by around 87 per cent since the 1990s.

Britain's most senior police officer recently said social media was partially to blame for the soaring rate of knife crime in the UK.

Met Commissioner Cressida Dick said websites and mobile phone applications such as YouTube, Snapchat and Instagram were partially to blame for the bloodshed.

Fatal stabbings in England and Wales are now at their highest levels since 2011, rising by 12 per cent in the year ending December 2017.

Are there current knife control efforts in the UK?

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
unfortunately, I see this in a future NRA advertisement

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I'm not sure what can be done about it but it would seem to be an issue with tackling... how do we cover murder in the digital age, when it seems clear that it promotes copycats/people wanting to go for their own "high score" ?

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Weather =/= climate

Will be curious to see how things go in the next few years though.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
New york's murder rate is lower than its ever been and is one of the safest big cities in the country, so...?

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Useless conservative government. May in a time of rising crime in london, choose to cut the police force in london by 4000.

It's not just London either. Since May was home secretary around 21000 police jobs were cut. Numbers here.

Ffs austerity is not what we need in the country right now.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
how do you even attempt knife control? a knife is much more ubiquitous to everyday life than a gun is

i mean obviously something needs to be done because this is terrible, but idk how you can reasonably attempt a knife control when people buy knives all the time for their kitchens

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I like how the story says they blame social media but don't explain how. :p

I still think the scariest shit about London is that someone can throw acid on your face at any time.

Oct 27, 2017
London
The government has tried proposing a ban on buying knives online. I don't see the point of doing that considering they're in every kitchen. For those blaming the Mayor- what realistically can he do about it.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Useless conservative government. May in a time of rising crime in london, choose to cut the police force in london by 4000.

It's not just London either. Since May was home secretary around 21000 police jobs were cut. Numbers here.

Ffs austerity is not what we need in the country right now.

See, it's odd that people ignore this and blame Khan (or Khant as the pathetic cunts like to say) instead of the actual Government. One can't help but wonder if there's a deeper reason for blaming Khan for things that aren't in his control.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
England. Europes America. - John Oliver:(

Has the situation improved with the horrific acid attacks? It absolutely horrific seeing those. Please tell me its improving? I know they discussed banning dangerous chemicals, but like with knives it also almost impossible

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Sounds like this is more about NYC being really safe than London being really dangerous but I guess an article about the former wouldn't get 10% of the clicks.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
England. Europes America. - John Oliver:(

Has the situation improved with the horrific acid attacks? It absolutely horrific seeing those. Please tell me its improving? I know they discussed banning dangerous chemicals, but like with knives it also almost impossible

Fun fact, the conservative government were the ones who relaxed the law on chemicals used in acid attacks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...act-conservatives-poisons-board-a7856041.html

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we do have a rising problem with knife crime. It was dropping until around 2015, but its on the increase again in 2016 and 2017 I believe.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
New York just has a pretty low crime rate these days.

But those London stabbings and chemical attacks are still pretty horrifying.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
How much is this a rising rate in London vs. a depreciating rate in NYC?

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it
And it's morals aren't worth what a pig can spit
And it goes by the name of London

Yo what' goin on over there? you guys goin full Sweeny Todd or what?

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Fun fact, the conservative government were the ones who relaxed the law on chemicals used in acid attacks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...act-conservatives-poisons-board-a7856041.html

What. The. Fuck.

Please tell me that they've been grilled in the media for this? You look at some of these victims and it's just too much. The outrage should completely engulf them so this wont happen again.
I've seen a documentary on women in Pakistan who face these Acid attacks for saying no to getting married... It's absolutely heartbreaking. To the point where it can be difficult figuring out how people preserver to keep living:( Besides the complete and utter mutilations that will destroy your life, the psychological trauma turns your own mind into a prison.

If man made policies that had warnings are the cause of this, there has to be hell to pay. That deregulation have ruined peoples lives.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

Which of these made things go even more downhill with Khan though?

Scrapping crime targets isn't necessarily a bad thing if they aren't an effective use of limited resources. And he tried to boost funding to help with knife crime, which wasn't enough, but I'd hardly say either caused things to worsen at a faster rate than they otherwise would have if Goldsmith had been mayor.

The underlying issue leading to a rise in crime seems to be a significant cut in actual police numbers, pretty sure that's not something Khan has any control over.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
What polices did he adopt or fail to adopt that made it worse?

He's been mayor for just shy of two years, so whatever he did, or failed to do, must have been catastrophic.

He provided an extra 59 million to the Police.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43057999

It is obvious why crime rates are increasing, Tory cuts for the past 8 years. Sadiq Khan will get the blame though from some people despite him doing his best to offset this with his limited powers.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
What. The. Fuck.

Please tell me that they've been grilled in the media for this? You look at some of these victims and it's just too much. The outrage should completely engulf them so this wont happen again.
I've seen a documentary on women in Pakistan who face these Acid attacks for saying no to getting married... It's absolutely heartbreaking. To the point where it can be difficult figuring out how people preserver to keep living:( Besides the complete and utter mutilations that will destroy your life, the psychological trauma turns your own mind into a prison.

If man made policies that had warnings are the cause of this, there has to be hell to pay. That deregulation have ruined peoples lives.

Nope. There's a trend in the UK media to not hold the conservative government to account for anything they do.

It's easier to blame the Muslim mayor. Emphasis on Muslim.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Huge police cuts by the Tories - it's the same story across the country.

The usual idiots are blaming the mayor essentially because he's brown.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
He provided an extra 59 million to the Police.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43057999

It is obvious why crime rates are increasing, Tory cuts for the past 8 years. Sadiq Khan will get the blame though from some people despite him doing his best to offset this with his limited powers.

Yup.

Worth noting that he's also pushed for a zero tolerance towards a Tory created problem and is thinking about increasing stop and search powers. I don't really agree with the latter as it will target minorities unfairly and that's the last thing we need.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
Are there current knife control efforts in the UK?
bin-a-knife-box-on-a-london-street-in-victoria-D60JMW.jpg

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
As someone who's lived here 11 1/2 years, I definitely see a difference even from when I first moved here, let alone the more extreme difference from 20-30 years ago.
True, plus you can practically walk at any time without looking over your shoulder. With that said, there's certain places especially in the Bronx where you got to be careful.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
What the hell does this even mean?

It means literally what it says. London has had tons of crime under tory rule, but under Sadiq Khan the figures have taken a real nose dive - the topic of this thread.

Some posters here suggest it's a Tory conspiracy, that they cut resouces and then as a massive political feat passed the baton to a muslim labour mayor at the exact point when things were about to collapse, for massive political win.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet nearly all of them are gang related. More and more people are getting into gangs cus how poor they are sadly. The poverty in the outskirts of London is disgusting

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
True, plus you can practically walk at any time without looking over your shoulder. With that said, there's certain places especially in the Bronx where you got to be careful.
Absolutely. Most places in the city are safe enough where you can take a long walk at 3AM and be safe (that said it's very different for women who get sexually harassed).

But there are still neighborhoods in the Bronx and a few in Brooklyn where you have to watch your ass and not stumble into.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
It means literally what it says. London has had tons of crime under tory rule, but under Sadiq Khan the figures have taken a real nose dive - the topic of this thread.

Some posters here suggest it's a Tory conspiracy, that they cut resouces and then as a massive political feat passed the baton to a muslim labour mayor at the exact point when things were about to collapse, for massive political win.
What exactly did he do in the 2 years he's been mayor that caused that? I'm assuming you're putting most of this on the mayor, so what policies did he enact that helped facilitate this?