• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
SPGAM120-180807-050056.png

Yes, really.

The backstory for this game is ridiculous.
southparkbeta.jpg

According to legend, it was cancelled because the makers of South Park, Trey Parker and Matt Stone were concerned due to the main audience of the Game Boy back then being children. Though they did keep a prototype cart (possibly the source of this release.) of it for historical purposes.

...Except the game wasn't cancelled at all.

What actually happened next was that it got retooled into three different games.

North America got the finished product split in half. under the form of two separate Mary Kate & Ashley games. "Mary-Kate & Ashley - Get a Clue" and "The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley"
gfs_92799_2_2.jpg

Europe on the other hand, got only one game. this time based off the German animated series known as "Maya the Bee".
gfs_18347_2_1.jpg

It's worth noting that the latter game actually contains leftover sprites from South Park. Which makes sense as it was the first of the three released:
Mayathebee_kenny.png

and now, we finally got a hold of the source game. Definitely one of the most interesting prototype leaks of this year.

Edit: Here's some gameplay, since people don't think this thread has enough info.

It should be noted that the game actually uses the exact same passwords as the Maya the Bee game. So here they are in case you want to jump to specific parts of it (Level names are obviously different between the two, but other than that they work just fine.)
CBTHPM Level 2
MDGKMQ Level 3
GMQTCK Level 4
NLBRTC Level 5
FBLHCH Level 6
PFPQFM Level 7
LHHDBT Level 8
LHDDQJ 01 - The Fields Part 2
BKHPJS 02 - Bee Hive Nursery Part 2
DMCSLB 03 - Bee Hive Nursery Part 3
KPSFHG 04 - Out On A Limb Part 1
MHNTGF 05 - Out On A Limb Part 2
RGTMNL 06 - Nearing The Termites Part 2
HQFLMP 07 - In The Termite Mound Part 2
JCDTKQ 08 - In The Termite Mound Part 3
QGKNBH 09 - By The Pond Part 2
CJJGQB 10 - By The Pond Part 3
BNMBLD 11 - The Ant Hill Part 2
MRRSDR 12 - The Ant Hill Part 3
QTTCSN 13 - The Ant Hill Part 4

and finally, the soundtrack is composed by none other than Tim Follin, yes, that Tim Follin. None of the music was reused in the three released games that came out of this, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if they did leak it on purpose. Also I love how the bee is clearly a South Park character.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Here's the ROM: [Mod Edit: Link removed. Please don't post links to roms, even for unreleased games]
It's kinda like Lost Vikings meets DK94 meets shovelware. There's digitized voiced and decent-looking dialogue screens, at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If you were trying really hard to find a more polarised license to retool a South Park game, you couldn't do any better than MK&A

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Ahhh I remember seeing listings of this in back page catalogues of UK Nintendo magazines, I recognise that screenshot or at least a very similar one to it. Pretty neat it resurfaced, hilarious how it got repurposed too. Love that Kenny sprite heh

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Eh? We've linked to plenty of ROMs before, both here and the other place, that were unreleased. It's never been a problem before. Case in point, the recent Pokemon Gold Beta.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if they did leak it on purpose. Also I love how the bee is clearly a South Park character.

Nah thats maya
actividades-infantiles-con-la-abeja-Maya_reference.jpg

Hard to deviate too much from the perfect circle head at that sprite resoution. And the side walking body sprite of stan in that video is completely different.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Eh? We've linked to plenty of ROMs before, both here and the other place, that were unreleased. It's never been a problem before. Case in point, the recent Pokemon Gold Beta.

If this happened (not saying it didn't, I just never saw it), it was stupid.

Copyright applies whether or not the work was ever released to the public.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
If this happened (not saying it didn't, I just never saw it), it was stupid.

Copyright applies whether or not the work was ever released to the public.

Does it though? I mean, Frank Cifaldi, notable developer of Mega Man Legacy Collection and the like, runs a website that hosts old unreleased ROMs just fine.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Does it though? I mean, Frank Cifaldi, notable developer of Mega Man Legacy Collection and the like, runs a website that hosts old unreleased ROMs just fine.
Then he could theoretically be sued at any time.

At least in the United States:
Copyright protects works of original authorship the moment a work is fixed in some tangible form. Exceptions are works produced by the U.S. government and some state governments. Under U.S. law, the simple act of fixing the work in a "tangible medium" is sufficient to establish the creator's copyright in unpublished material—no copyright statement (e.g., © 2014) is mandated, nor does the item need to be registered with the Copyright Office.
https://www2.archivists.org/publications/brochures/copyright-and-unpublished-material

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Fair enough. Though usually the reason for not linking to ROMs is one of piracy. When a ROM was never released, it's not being pirated.

If we're talking _copyright_, then people posting YouTube videos of game music shouldn't really technically be allowed either.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Fair enough. Though usually the reason for not linking to ROMs is one of piracy. When a ROM was never released, it's not being pirated.

If we're talking _copyright_, then people posting YouTube videos of game music shouldn't really technically be allowed either.
Or avatars with images used from any media not owned by the person using it. Technically thats violating copyright law as well.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh this is pretty awesome. Has anybody played it yet?

rawhide put it best, it's Lost Vikings mixed with the small stages and collectibles of DK94. Stan can flip switches and throw Cartman at enemies, Kyle can jump the highest and bounce objects/characters off his hat, and Cartman lets other characters stand on his head. Kenny is locked in a cage on every level and dies after every boss. TBH it would have been one of the better pre-Stick of Truth South Park games.

OP
OP
Krvavi Abadas

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland