• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
I was really down and sad as a teenager, and as a result from the age of 13 to about the age of 22/23 odd, I brushed my teeth less than a dozen times, whilst also smoking regularly, eating like shit, not taking care of myself at all. Didn't go to a dentist either since 2004 till this week either, but I've had this throbbing tooth pain for over a year and finally decided I should just go the dentist and get it sorted.

I already lost a couple teeth over the years, but according to the dentist, I got one tooth thats infected and so full of holes it can't be saved, 5 others that also need to come out but it'll have to be done in stages rather than all at once, a couple more that he's not sure can be saved but they're gonna try. Hurts like fuck, got the extraction scheduled for early next week for the bad tooth.

TL:DR - Look after your hecking teeth guys. When I was a teenager, I sort of imagined I'd have committed suicide by now so my teeth weren't really worth bothering with, but I really regret it now.

edit - I didn't brush my teeth cos I didn't have anyone telling me to do it, no friends to tell me, I was smoking pretty consistently so I always stank of tobacco anyway, my family weren't telling me what to do or stuff like that, and I was really depressed and didn't give a shit. I didn't even think I'd live this long, honestly.

edit edit - picture of teeth which isn't great cos its hard to get your own teeth in a picture

1iI2Pyz.png

NZ2PUSc.jpg

Last edited:

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How do you go 10 years barely brushing your teeth? If I miss one morning I feel horrible the rest of the day.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Wait you brushed your teeth < 12 times total in 10 years?

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is already fascinating for the simple fact that we have someone who brushed their teeth an exaggerated dozen times or less in a decade. That is some shit.

Also the thread title lead me to believe that I'd see something along the lines of "take care of your teeth and make sure you go for a cleaning every year" or something more understandable. Hell, even missing the dentist for a few years. But not going to one for a decade and also not brushing more than a handful of times for just as long? That is insane.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
If you brushed your teeth about once a year for a decade I'm frankly amazed there's anything left to salvage in your mouth.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Sorry to hear OP. That really sucks but that seems crazy to me.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Less than 12 times a decade? Wtf.

Just went to the dentist today too. No cavities or gingivitis. Yay.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Alot of guys are probably going to roast you, but I get it. Depression as a teenager is so shit, after I dropped out I went through a year episode without brushing, and barely showering. I never went out so I didn't give a shit so I feel you brother.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Are you American? I am and it's so damn frustrating knowing even good insurance covers damn near nothing at the dentist. Yes take care of your teeth.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
man I thought this thread would make me feel guilty b/c I haven't been to the dentist in a couple years, but Jesus even I brush my teeth every day

Are you American? I am and it's so damn frustrating knowing even good insurance covers damn near nothing at the dentist. Yes take care of your teeth.

True and relevant to my above sentiment

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How do you go 10 years barely brushing your teeth? If I miss one morning I feel horrible the rest of the day.
when I was younger at 13-14 , i had a big operation and I remember not brushing my teeth for a few months after that. After a while, the shit on your teeth start to pile up and become really hard, you can't even brush it off without going to the dentist

D65

Oct 26, 2017
OP that isn't... Not taking care of your teeth.

That's something else entirely.

I mean, gosh!

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
No I was in the UK and Ireland, and in the part of ireland I was in, finding a dentist that would accept the bill being covered by the state health care system was also a lot of work. We were on the list for a place for a year, then we got a letter saying because we hadn't showed up in a year, we were being taken off the list.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I got Bells Palsy from dirty dentist tools when I was 17, didn't brush my teeth for 5 years, and it's still hard to do it even now 11 years later... I get it.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Can you just get your mouth blown out and a new set? I know many people that got their existing teeth filed down and got a set of dentures.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
holy god your breath. just thinking about the gum discomfort, the amount of plaque...giving me shivers.

Sorry you had to learn this extremely painful and expensive lesson. Hope you've sought professional help with your mental health as well.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
man I thought this thread would make me feel guilty b/c I haven't been to the dentist in a couple years, but Jesus even I brush my teeth every day

True and relevant to my above sentiment
I feel you. It's pretty bad and you should still go for cleaning and any major work that they do cover but it is really disheartening and frustrating when you find out how little is covered and how damn expensive EVERYTHING is.

No I was in the UK and Ireland, and in the part of ireland I was in, finding a dentist that would accept the bill being covered by the state health care system was also a lot of work. We were on the list for a place for a year, then we got a letter saying because we hadn't showed up in a year, we were being taken off the list.

That really sucks.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Totally agreed.

My mouth is the most expensive part of me. Easily spent tens of thousands of dollars on my teeth.

ONE implant came out to be around $5,000. That doesn't include the root canals, crowns, and general work I've had done.

I brush and floss twice a day, but sadly some of it is genetic, and some of it is just pure neglect from high school/college. Also from my 50% sugar diet.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also advice everyone to remove their wisdom teeth asap. My original dentist said I didn't have to and fast forward years later and it was decaying. The most piercing pain I have ever experienced that I don't wish on anyone.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I went through something similar (teenage depression), but nowhere near as disgusting thankfully. So I was able to get veneers on my smile and whiten the rest.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Speaking of teeth, and looking after them, there's a little known fact about tooth infections:

They can, and will affect your heart. An infected tooth can go as far as infecting your heart via your nerves and can get life threatening.

Always look after your teeth people.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of going after the OP, maybe we should concentrate on the message. Dental health is very important!

Also, lift with your legs. Seriously. I'm in a wheelchair. Take my advice on this. Lift with your legs.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get in the habit of flossing every day or at least every other day if you don't, guys. That's incredibly important for proper dental care.

Also buy yourself a tongue cleaner to properly clean the back of your tongue which is where most of that odor-emitting bacteria rests.

And if you use mouthwash make sure it doesn't contain alcohol.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Totally agreed.

My mouth is the most expensive part of me. Easily spent tens of thousands of dollars on my teeth.

ONE implant came out to be around $5,000. That doesn't include the root canals, crowns, and general work I've had done.

I brush and floss twice a day, but sadly some of it is genetic, and some of it is just pure neglect from high school/college. Also from my 50% sugar diet.

Can I ask. Was the tap water where you grew up infused with fluoride?

illrated

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget to floss also people. I was not flossing enough and I had to get a deep cleaning done to all my teeth, that was worse then getting my wisom teeth removed. Plus my teeth are senstive as hell for the last couple months since I had it done.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
soo ... you're just going to be missing like 7 teeth or are you getting implants?

Damn bro, there is a difference between 'not taking care of your teeth' and brushing 12 times in a decade.

Syf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I always brush in the morning, and brush & floss at night. Can't even imagine how bad it must've been if you really only brushed less than a dozen times in ten years.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Reminds me to take better care of my teeth, jeez. I still brush my teeth at least once a day, I often forget in the morning (though I always brush at night).

Last time I went to the Dentist was 3 years ago (last year of High School) when I was told I had a few cavities, but I haven't followed up since then. Should I be worried?

PhoenixDark

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White House
This isn't true. There are an abundance of great insurance plans offered by employers, and some good ones for individuals. The problem is that a lot of people don't know know what coverage they should get, some people would rather pay for cheap/terrible insurance than spend an extra $30 a month for a better plan, and a lot of people have terrible hygiene that leads to expensive major work.

Brush at least twice a day, floss every day, and watch your sugar intake. Stop drinking trash like Mountain Dew. If you have sugar or pop/soda, try to drink some water shortly afterwards.

BonneMort

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Dread it. Run from it. Dentist still arrives.

In all seriousness, after I had one cavity, I started being paranoid with my teeth. The pain of treating it, specially with that motherf****** drill... never again, I tell ya.

Oct 25, 2017
OP, surely the NHS will help you out with dental treatment, especially if your are not in employment.

My crown only cost me £180-200 and that is with being employed.