• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I quit watching wrestling a bit after the invasion thing and only started watching again by the time Daniel Bryan got big so I missed that whole era.
From everything I've heard and all the clips I've seen, I'm glad I did. I'm sure Batista and CM Punk were cool and all, but I'm good. I'm glad I wasn't there for that whole "era."
Ive liked Cena since I started rewatching. I guess since he wasn't on top anymore.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
He had a lot of great matches, some good feuds (Edge and Orton were excellent rivals), but his character never changed and it got way too long in the tooth. His late US title run was actually interesting but it ended with a whimper.

Now the "one big star" style of booking has bit them in the ass as they now have no stars and the audience rebelled hard against the predictable heir. Not Cena's fault though, I hope he gets to be more creative in his acting roles.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
greatest heel for the smarks
hogan like face for the kids

highlight was RVD vs Cena at that ECW ppv, it was a war zone

cena was great, but don't miss that era.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I disliked how he just completely abandoned the Wade Barret feud and challenged The Rock instead.

ixuBo.gif

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't really about Cena.

It is about the garbage heap of wrestlers he left behind him.

1. Build up strong wrestler
2. Go up against Cena
3. Short dancing gimmick and gooooone.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It isn't really about Cena.

It is about the garbage heap of wrestlers he left behind him.

1. Build up strong wrestler
2. Go up against Cena
3. Short dancing gimmick and gooooone.

The actual issue was never Cena booked strong as a Top Guy. That's been wrestling, everywhere, since time immemorial (for a recent example - see Okada's run at the top of NJPW or for instance, Misawa's run in AJPW during the 90's).

The issue was, the WWE forgot how to book people after they lose to the Top Face. They used to actually be able to do this - see the careers of tons of people who got over in the 80's WWF, lost to Hogan just as clean as people jobbed to Cena, then were over enough to get giant contracts w/ WCW down the line.

The other issue was, the WWE learned the wrong lesson from The Rock. The Rock taught them the wrong lesson that you can have your upper midcard and top guys go 50/50 with each other, because The Rock could do. It turns out, the only people who can actually job all the time and stay massive stars are two of the most charismatic human beings on the planet - Rock & Flair.

As far as why Cena was the top guy for a decade plus - because there was no other option?

Now, I know the comeback is going to be "what about Punk?"

Punk was never going to be The Guy, because he was never going to do the things The Guy needed to do.

CM Punk was never going to learn Mandarin.

CM Punk was never going to wrestle a show in Phoenix, then hop on a 1 AM red eye to New York so he can do a five minute spot
on Good Morning America, then hop on another plan to Dallas to do local promos for the next RAW in three weeks in that town, and do that week after week.

CM Punk was never going to be the perfect company guy, that sublimated his indemnity to the WWE corporate PR team.

Plus, more importantly, the Cena Era worked. As much as smart fans hated a lot of it, the truth is - the WWE post-Attitude Era to the rise of Cena & Batista was in a ratings, PR, and house show attendance tailspin. Not only did the initial Cena & Batista programs increase ratings and house show attendance, having Cena as the guy allowed the WWE to push through the Guerrero/Benoit tragedies, and allow the company to turn from the racy product aimed at trailer trash people and teenage guys that got no sponsor money and had no positive mainstream attention to a company that could do deals w/ the biggest companies in the world and be involved in massive TV deal wars.

Remember, during the initial RAW move to Spike, and USA didn't really fight for it. So, they had to take less money from Spike than they expected. The only way WWE ratings could've gone even lower during the 2005-2015 era was if there was no insanely charismatic top guy like Cena to push as your top star.

I'd also point out that the moment the WWE's steady ratings decline went into overdrive and actually started falling faster than overall TV ratings all happened immediately post-WM XXXI and can be pointed to three main factors -

1.) The permance of three hour RAW's
2.) Rollins not being a true Top Guy, no matter how much Uncle Paul wants otherwise.
3.) Cena going from a Top Guy to a midcard act w/ the US Title. Yes, smart fans loved Cena going 50/50 w/ random midcarders, but your casual fan was likely turned off by their hero going from conquering badass who won all the time to having trouble w/ random guys.

I'm not saying all of the booking during the Cena Era was good. Far from that. A lot of it is terrible.

What I'm saying is John Cena being booked like every Top Guy since Bruno & Lou Thesz was not the main issue.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Won't forget the Ryder burial. Where during that storyline Cena was missing his girl at the time and he was still somehow the good guy.

Nexus burial was always terrible as well. Joined the group yet was still wearing his usual stuff. Best thing to come out of it all imo was Cena vs Punk and when they added the firing angle Punk said something like he's been fired a dozen times already or something. Hell, I remember he was fired and was still on tv every week. Guy was just above everyone else in a big way. It's why Reigns has failed, they just wanted another Cena.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Cena absorbs and deflects a lot of criticism that that era really deserves.
WWE post attitude era and pre pg was weird as shit, in a bad way. At least Cena offered a bit of stability.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
That era gave us Shawn vs Jericho, Edge vs Taker, The Shield, Jeff Hardy and CM Punk rising up the card and Hollywood Batista.

There's no bad eras in wrestling, unless you intentionally remove everything good to make some kind of asinine point. And Cena was a phenomenal champ by any reasonable metric. There were people better in ring and on the mic, but dude handled the stress of being champ better than anyone and when he was moved down the card to the US division he, shock, didn't treat it as a burial and worked his ass to have great matches and try and help guys in need of a push get over.

And he also put Bryan and Punk over 100% clean. Which other guys (Hogan, Austin, Hart) never did for their potential successors. (Hogan stole Warrior's shine instantly.)

ETA - re the Nexus, Cena was just ahead of the curve at shrugging off finishing moves. Nowadays Gargano, Omega et al shrug off far more devastating moves and win matches clean. Shit, every wrestling fed uses apron spots as near falls.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That era gave us Shawn vs Jericho, Edge vs Taker, The Shield, Jeff Hardy and CM Punk rising up the card and Hollywood Batista.

There's no bad eras in wrestling, unless you intentionally remove everything good to make some kind of asinine point. And Cena was a phenomenal champ by any reasonable metric. There were people better in ring and on the mic, but dude handled the stress of being champ better than anyone and when he was moved down the card to the US division he, shock, didn't treat it as a burial and worked his ass to have great matches and try and help guys in need of a push get over.

And he also put Bryan and Punk over 100% clean. Which other guys (Hogan, Austin, Hart) never did for their potential successors. (Hogan stole Warrior's shine instantly.)

ETA - re the Nexus, Cena was just ahead of the curve at shrugging off finishing moves. Nowadays Gargano, Omega et al shrug off far more devastating moves and win matches clean. Shit, every wrestling fed uses apron spots as near falls.
There are plenty of bad era of wrestling . Every company has there low ponit wwe is no expect

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
His feuds with Batista and the Rock were memorable, I also enjoyed when he gave the AA to Big Show, that was always awesome to see.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's only bad if you refuse to accept there's any good.

Case in point, HHH's reign of terror led us to Batista, The Smackdown Six, Mysterio, Angle as a serious champ etc. The New Generation gave us Austin, Mankind and Bret as champ.
But like the new generation like almost killed the wwe . It wasn't very good.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
It was really bad. You just knew he wouldn't lose at the end of the day. He became much more tolerable when he wasn't the guy anymore.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Let's not forget this High peak of WWE with Cena

CAN YOU SEE HIM LITA?

3:49 for anyone wondering

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It was really bad. You just knew he wouldn't lose at the end of the day. He became much more tolerable when he wasn't the guy anymore.

You knew, if you were a smart fan, Bruno, Hogan, Austin, etc. weren't going to lose either. Top babyfaces don't lose clean often, or they're no longer top babyfaces.

There's a reason why there are no top babyfaces in the WWE currently, and it's because nobody just goes out, acts like a badass, and wins all the time. That's how every top money drawing guy in wrestling history, from Hackinschmidt to Okada has been built.