• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Second Son is some of the most fun I've had on the PS4, every new power was a stunning display that I couldn't wait to try out and power up. And it was an achievement to not only have a PoC as the main character, but a Native American too. How often does that happen? Why the fucking hate for this?

And Knack was a fun, unassuming B-level brawler. It's an honest-to-god 3/5, but still fun. Christ, it infuriates me how demonized games that get less than an 8/10 are around here.
You're misunderstanding. A POC is excellent. I have issues with the modeling and casting of that POC character like the person below.
Second Son was fun, but slight compared to Infamous 1 or 2. And I do feel uncomfortable about the main character and his brother being Native Americans, but being played by and largely modeled after two white guys.

32bc6b750883ba620e4eb98a6918a86f.jpg

2-gnVUilw.jpg

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shadowfall and Knack 1 were average, forgettable affairs at best, sure but Infamous SS was a lot of fun and Resogun is still one of the best games this gen has produced.

I've seen far far worse system launches... most especially when you only "count" the exclusive titles.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Had more fun with the greatness awaits memes than my PS4 the first year.

Infamous was a 5/10 game but at least it was a pretty 5/10 game, it had that over AssCreed 4/10.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Assassin's Creed Black Flag looked great in glorious native 1080p. I didn't mind Killzone Shadow Fall either. I'm also one of the 5 people who enjoyed Knack. It was a great launch for me!

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
There was a lot of decent to good stuff but really nothing great like Switch had with BotW. I knew Killzone and Knack were going to be shit before the system even launched so I wasn't really disappointed aside from the Watch Dogs delay.

Resogun was awesome, and I mean if you didn't play it that's on you.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then we got Shadowfall. Largely set in a sparkling generic city of the future, it didn't really look like the war focused predecessors on PS3. It was pretty and it's darker atmosphere often just came from some more industrial stuff rather than any battlegrounds . It had a weird concept where we were to believe the enemy civilizations were just on opposite sides of a big wall if I recall? It was meh. We moved on.

I'm assuming that it was based on real events and occurrences like the Berlin Wall and/or the Iron Curtain, so maybe it is not so outlandish. Much of Killzone is heavily inspired by the historical happenings of Europe and the surrounding nations.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Infamous second son was just dull to me, i spent so many months waiting for it thinking it was finally gonna be the ps4's killer app and it was just boring. Bad characters, a bland and boring open world, enemies that werent fun to fight. Some of the powers were fun to mess around with but the city didnt feel like enough of a play ground to really make use of them to their full potential. It looks pretty, and the powers are unique and creative, but everything around it was just so lacking

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
Not all were bad. For me, my favourite launch games were Black Flag and the next-gen version of Fifa 14. Both had a lot of playtime in them. Black Flag was a fantastic game (minus the tailing missions) and the PS4/XBO version of Fifa 14 is probably still my favourite football game since PES5 & 6.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knack was the spring board to 17.5 million consoles sold per year. All success flows through and from Knack.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Second Son was a blast to play. I'd say it's a great launch title.

My first PS4 game was Black Flag though. Which was cross gen but still looked amazing on PS4.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Second Son was kinda shallow but I had a lot of fun with it. Traversal and the powers in general were dope.

Besides, it came out in 2014, not at launch.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I was so hyped to play Killzone and ended up trading it in long before the credits rolled. Knack was an ok diversion but it wasn't really a good game imo. Resogun was great and I played it all the time despite the fact that I was complete shit at it. Well, maybe I'm being harsh on myself but I wasn't great at it. That always online Need for Speed game was a lot of fun, the wife and I pretty much took turns until we'd done everything we could do for the most part. Lastly, Infamous Second Son was great. Graphics and gameplay were right up my alley and I think I was at least entertained by the story at the time. I had a lot of fun with the PS4 that first year and since I hadn't upgraded my PC at the time that first year felt really next gen to me.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The PS4's entire exclusive library prior to Uncharted 4 was absolutely embarrassing, and I deeply hope Sony won't repeat it with their next console.

Shadowfall, Knack, Second Son, The Order, DriveClub - just a firehose of mediocrity.

It's hilarious how people claim exclusives are the primary reason Sony won this gen, when they amassed their lead during the biggest draught of worthwhile exclusives the company has ever seen.

Dec 25, 2018
killzone mercenary was the better killzone imo at that time. Lego marvel super heroes was my favorite PS4 launch title, what an unexpectedly amazing game.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Resogun and Second Son are awesome ass games. Killzone was good (for a launch title). Not a lineup filled with killers, but better than many other launches.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Second Son was a great game, I'm not sure you know what the word terrible means. Actually, is there a BAD thread that doesn't have some sort of hyperbole attached to it?

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
The PS4's entire exclusive library prior to Uncharted 4 was absolutely embarrassing, and I deeply hope Sony won't repeat it with their next console.

Shadowfall, Knack, Second Son, The Order, DriveClub - just a firehose of mediocrity.

It's hilarious how people claim exclusives are the primary reason Sony won this gen, when they amassed their lead during the biggest draught of worthwhile exclusives the company has ever seen.

What about Bloodborne, LBP3, Until Dawn, MLB, Tearaway Unfolded and a bunch of indies were exclusive.

Also games like Warframe and FFXIV.

And Second Son is far from mediocre. The competition didn't have much to offer either.

And despite being a remaster TLOU sold a lot of PS4's. Exclusives definitely help the PS4 sell as well as the last few years of the PS3 had tons of awesome exclusives that gave them a lot of momentum.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I fucking loved Shadowfall. Blows my mind people didn't like it. The OWL was so damn fun to use and felt great with the touchpad. I love the echolocation ability and all the guns.

Visuals were mindblowing, the atmosphere was great, and I loved the controls.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
Infamous was amazing. So was Driveclub and The Order. Killzone was the only meh game to me.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
FF XIV was the game i played during the PS4 launch period - the other games were.....well...okay.
Was really hyped for Infamous a couple of month in but didnt end up liking the game at all - it looked great but wasnt as much fun as i hoped it would be.

Dec 25, 2018
with the launch model you got $10 to upgrade a game, the upgrade for BF4 felt like a massive upgrade at the time. What a fucking awesome game.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Every time anybody calls something awful, garbage, trash, or terrible I basically know it's not true. 90% of the time, it isn't..

This is another one of those cases. And people need to learn how to not be hyperbolic.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
What about Bloodborne, LBP3, Until Dawn, MLB, Tearaway Unfolded and a bunch of indies were exclusive.

Also games like Warframe and FFXIV.

And Second Son is far from mediocre. The competition didn't have much to offer either.

And despite being a remaster TLOU sold a lot of PS4's. Exclusives definitely help the PS4 sell as well as the last few years of the PS3 had tons of awesome exclusives that gave them a lot of momentum.
Eh, fair. I forgot Until Dawn & Bloodbourne hit prior to UC4. I'll amend the statement then - the PS4 exclusives prior to 2015 were embarrassing. And this isn't really about competition. I think Rise of the Tomb Raider, Titanfall 1 & Sunset Overdrive are all excellent games - but clearly they didn't resonate with mass audiences.

MLB is MLB, and LBP 3 was the weakest of the series. The rest are readily available on PS3, Vita, or PC. I agree that the end of the PS3 era gave people faith - but the exclusives just literally weren't there. Price & power sold early adopters (plus the always online disaster) - then network effects carried the ball from there.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Shadowfall and Knack did indeed suck. Second Son was a solid game though, nothing special (mostly cause of the story) but the gameplay was fun as hell.

I assume in the launch window (so not necessarily launch day) PS5 will have Horizon 2, next game from Sony Japan, maybe Ghost of Tsushima, and maybe God of War 2/5.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I mean they were bad in the moment, not just looking back. There was a mini meltdown when the reviews were unveiled. I remember at the time there were tons of rumblings about some inner turmoil within WWS. Rumblings of cancelled titles (SSM) and driveclub being a disaster. Most of the rumors ended up true actually. It took a bit for WWS to really get going this gen. Killzone SF was a huge stepdown from the previous 2 and 3 was already pretty mediocre. Driveclub was massively delayed and when it launched was a mess, knack reviewed poorly and was generally considered a bad game, and infamous wasn't even a launch title just a launch window, but after the impressive infamous 2, Infamous SS just felt like a sidegrade at best outside of the visuals. Rough launch for sure, and psplus offerings were horrendous for the first year or two, but once things got going it was hit after hit... BUT that start was rough- Killzone SF probably the worst in the KZ series, Infamous SS mediocre entry in a solid series, Driveclub the game that killed evo and a horrendous launch, The Order 1886 tanking and turned out awful, knack was pretty bad, etc.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Most console launches suck.

There's probably just a handful (if not less) of truly spectacular launch lineups. Esp if you consider Japanese launches as the initial launches and the Western release as something else.

For example:

Western Dreamcast launch = an all-time great launch

Japanese Dreamcast launch = an all-time worst launch

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Terrible is an over exaggeration. But yes Sony blew their load late into the ps3 gen. I feel the ps5 will have a better early line up.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
There's an ocean of difference between hating something and thinking it was a completely underwhelming and flat experience.

Absolutely. I enjoyed second son, but it was basically the only exclusive launch "window" title that was good, and it just wasn't nearly as good as 1&2 for me in terms of quality for the time. It just felt like a rehash and the world felt bland. The powers were great, the traversal was awesome, the visuals were outstanding, but the side quests were so repetitive and dull, and everything just felt so lifeless. Infamous in general struggles with that issue, but the first was a new IP and the 2nd was a huge step up, so for it to side step with SS was a let down.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I think the whole gen was terrible for the first few years tbh, not just the launch window games. A few bright spots for sure, but I didn't really feel like I missed out at all waiting until 2017 to get a PS4.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I'm not a fan of the Killzone series, but I appreciated Shadowfall more than the others because it actually looked like a sci-fi game, rather than a brown-grey WWII game with Jin Roh helmets and one lightning gun.

Same here. Both visual style and soundtrack were better than before. I also appreciated the variety, although the stealth and defense sections were annoying. The game (and KZ series in general) gets far too little recognition for its enemy AI as well. The story was the worst part, as before, but luckily Horizon showed huge improvement in that regard.

I'd rate both KZ:SF and Infamous: SS somewhere between 7-8. Somewhat flawed, but entertaining visual feasts. The latter was particularly fun to play, largely due to Neon powers, and that's what counts.

Resogun was the star of the launch though, and it's sadly once again forgotten as it's not an AAA title. Great game is a great game, whether it's big or small.