• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 25, 2018
Killzone was never a good franchise with it's sluggish controls. Horizon was the best thing to happen to Guerilla. When I saw kilkxone was a launch title and people got excited as if it's gameplay quality was on par with COD or battlefield? Felt like I was in the twilight zone

I loved Infanous Second Don though. Good showcase of the system and movement felt great.

one on vita was good

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Infamous was not terrible, it was just a rushed acceptable game with pretty graphics and good combat.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody in this thread: Dude you forgot about Resogun, and Second Son wasn't a bad game. Shadowfall was mediocre but nothing that would be considered terrible.
OP: People say they enjoyed Black Flag. But BF was a port, thereby strengthening my case.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was there day 1 and got Killzone, COD Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Infamous and AC Black Flag. I found all of them, sans AC BF, mediocre.

• Killzone Shadowfall: My jaw dropped when I saw it for the first time. I finished the game but I struggled to do so. Mediocre gameplay, terrible level design and by the love of Satan, the game released with an uncapped framerate.

• COD Ghosts: One of the worst COD, but looked okay and it ran nicely. I remember this had some trouble with the framerate too. It looked choppy because it was runnjng above 60 or something.

•Battlefield 4: TERRIBLE CAMPAIGN, but it looked nice at least. There were some issues at launch during multiplayer if I remember correctly.

•Infamous Second Son: Meh. Great visuals but everything else was like a "Hallmark" version of Prototype.

• AC Black Flag: Great game! Probably my favorite AC after Odyssey and 2. The best launch game out of any console.

I also had Resogun and Outlast from my Plus sub and they were fantastic games.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I quite enjoyed Second Son, warts and all. I liked the villain and to this day it still has some of the best feeling moment-to-moment gameplay on the PS4. It definitely suffered from being a launch game though being so short with a weak story and barebones morality choices. What was there was polished as hell though.

Killzone I'm mixed on. It had genuinely solid multiplayer but I don't mess with online much. The campaign was rough but some of the levels were legit great (like 2 and 4).

I despised Knack lol.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always a little surprised when I hear people saying they thought Second Son was the worst Infamous (and it's definitely not just the OP, I think that sentiment is at least somewhat common). Second Son is probably my favourite of the series. It looks great, it feels more refined than the first two games (the number of times I've done stupid shit in 1 and 2 like try to jump onto a power line and miss, or fail to find the magic climby bit and fall two stories instead), the powers are neat, and I like the characters a lot more. And honestly, it did feel smaller than the other Infamous games but it never felt lacking in content; it was just the right size for me.

Shadow Fall wasn't terrible, but it wasn't even the best Killzone game released that year. That said, nearly all of my issues have to do with the story; it's pretty mechanically sound and it also looks good.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
First few years were rough, I bought games I wouldn't think of touching nowadays (incl the ones in the OP). Anything to justify buying the hardware.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I'm always a little surprised when I hear people saying they thought Second Son was the worst Infamous (and it's definitely not just the OP, I think that sentiment is at least somewhat common). Second Son is probably my favourite of the series. It looks great, it feels more refined than the first two games (the number of times I've done stupid shit in 1 and 2 like try to jump onto a power line and miss, or fail to find the magic climby bit and fall two stories instead), the powers are neat, and I like the characters a lot more. And honestly, it did feel smaller than the other Infamous games but it never felt lacking in content; it was just the right size for me.

Shadow Fall wasn't terrible, but it wasn't even the best Killzone game released that year. That said, nearly all of my issues have to do with the story; it's pretty mechanically sound and it also looks good.

You have to consider the time the games were released. infamous 1 was a brand new experience that was fun and showed a lot of promise. Infamous 2 took that formula and improved on it in a big way. The new powers were great, the gameplay was tightened up a ton, everything was smoother. Infamous SS had new hardware and by far the best visuals of the bunch. I think people just expected more. It was essentially just a reskinned infamous... it felt like it had even less than I2 to me, but even if you consider them equal, the game came out on a new generation of hardware and did nothing to really change the formula. Games don't have to shake things up too much if they're great, but infamous was very repetitive and that was always the knock on it. The side quests were incredibly shallow, dull, and again repetitive. Things like going from district to district to do the same small handful of quests such as shooting cameras off of buildings or whatever is just boring. All that being said, Infamous certainly wasn't a bad game at all, it just was lackluster and another addition to a slower start for sony first party to the ps4 era.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I owned SS and never got to play it. But then I never finished infamous 2. Shadowfall was pretty for sure but I was never a fan of the franchise. It was just the game I got bundled with it. I thought there were some nice set pieces in it that I hadn't seen before.

Knack? Never played it but my son played it at a friend's house and thought it was really fun. He wanted me to buy it. I was like really?? I knew the game didn't review well. On some level I think we can file these away as a good first attempt on a new system.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Killzone looked great, but felt mediocre. Didn't get Knack at launch, but have since played it and thought it was a lot of fun. Kind of wish i chose Knack over Killzone for launch, ah well. Contrast and Resogun being launch titles for PS+ on PS4, both games were decent. Resogun more than Contrast, and if Contrast had a Platinum i'd have earned it (got all other trophies mind). Resogun was where the fun was, the high scores between a few friends was competitive over the Christmas period. Thought the game was tough, but fair on the higher difficulties.

Assassin's Creed Black Flag though was a superb title, one of the best Creed games since II. Still think it ranks high up on the list of best Creed titles to this day.

In terms of launch window, infamous Second Son was not a bad game. In fact, one of the better launch window titles. First Light was a good follow up to the game. DriveClub was meant to be a launch game, but delayed to polish it up. Servers literally in meltdown on launch though for this game, and it turned out to be a fantastic racer.

Oct 25, 2017
Second Son a) wasn't a launch title and b) has probably the best traversal of any open-world game this side of Spider-Man (maybe Sunset Overdrive has good traversal, but I haven't played it). It's definitely a good game, though thin in terms of sidequests.

Resogun is good.

For third-party launch titles, Black Flag was also good as was Don't Starve.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Killzone Shadow Fall was average but had a lot potential, but was rushed. Infamous was good, but was a little rushed too. Most of those first party games the first year looked rushed.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I actually think the PS4 launch games look better after all this time. Knack got a better sequel. Infamous and Killzone were good. Resogun was awesome. It's a lot of the early MS stuff that I think looks bad now, except for Titanfall 1.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Infamous looked like a slightly higher res ps3 game... I don't think the launch games looked good or were good at all... until bloodborne.
The buildings and ligting in killzone looked nice though. but again... all the characters just looked like ps3 models.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I didn't get a PS4 until MGS5 but I played both KZ Shadow fall and Infamous later and both were terrible. Glad I waited, at least the ps5 will be BC so there'll be plenty of good games right away

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Both consoles had pretty mediocre launches for sure.

Killzone Shadowfall should be erased from canon. They ruined a great villain in Stahl and that "open, but empty" campaign was drivel.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I enjoyed Killzone shadow fall's Multiplayer very much. Assassin's creed 4 was excellent as well, but I guess that may not count. I enjoyed second son.

Dead Rising 3 was pretty fun. Not as good as the first, but I had a great time with it.

Xbox one's Launch lineup just spoke to me more specifically with Dead Rising 3

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
I actually quite loved Killzone Shadow Fall, the whole Cold War plot was interesting, but it seems it didn't click with many people.
Yet the ending, I still remember the last few words,

"For Kellan"