• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So yesterday I purchased an LG 28LJ400B-PU and it seemed like a winner in terms of response time and display lag, but the one feature I cared about the most, Just Scan, does not operate like how it does on other LG TVs. So after fiddling around with it for an hour I found out this TV just decides to stretch the display to the screen whereas on other LG TVs it creates black borders and I can get a crisp perfect image for 720p.

TL;DR I need a 720p (1366x768) display where I can get black borders for perfect quality for console gaming.

PS: I'm aware I could go for a 1080p display, but the black borders there are too large for my liking.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure most 720p TVs these days come with Just Scan options, however, here's the trick, I'm pretty sure Just Scan isn't what you're hoping; it's not a 1:1 pixel mode, it's just an overscan correcter. Where overscan, if I have it the right way, makes it so that the image is like 5% too large and the edges are cut off. This mode gives you the entirety of that image without it being cut off.

I wish there was such as thing as a 1:1 mode for any resolution you want, and MAYBE one exists in PC modes (which seem tricky to access), but Just Scan mode isn't it sadly. :(

Edit: And yeah, there is no actual 1280x720 display. I think it's to accommodate PCs which mostly "default" at 768p, for some strange reason.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure most 720p TVs these days come with Just Scan options, however, here's the trick, I'm pretty sure Just Scan isn't what you're hoping; it's not a 1:1 pixel mode, it's just an overscan correcter. Where overscan, if I have it the right way, makes it so that the image is like 5% too large and the edges are cut off. This mode gives you the entirety of that image without it being cut off.

I wish there was such as thing as a 1:1 mode for any resolution you want, and MAYBE one exists in PC modes (which seem tricky to access), but Just Scan mode isn't it sadly. :(

Edit: And yeah, there is no actual 1280x720 display. I think it's to accommodate PCs which mostly "default" at 768p, for some strange reason.
Ah, right. Dot by Dot / 1:1 Pixel Mapping is what I require. Perhaps Insignia TVs have this feature.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I can't answer your question unfortunately, however unlike 1080p TVs, 4K TVs scale 720p perfectly so you can have that crisp perfect image. In fact, I believe Panasonic 4K TVs also let you scale with a nearest neighbour option.

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So yesterday I purchased an LG 28LJ400B-PU and it seemed like a winner in terms of response time and display lag, but the one feature I cared about the most, Just Scan, does not operate like how it does on other LG TVs. So after fiddling around with it for an hour I found out this TV just decides to stretch the display to the screen whereas on other LG TVs it creates black borders and I can get a crisp perfect image for 720p.

TL;DR I need a 720p (1366x768) display where I can get black borders for perfect quality for console gaming.

PS: I'm aware I could go for a 1080p display, but the black borders there are too large for my liking.

You could try the zoom option and manually zoom out to the point of a perfect 1:1 mapping? I don't know if that particular LG has the option for that but you can find out in less than 5 minutes :-)