• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh so I broke down and bought ff7 on ps4 to play before the remake comes out. I've just got out of Midgar but I'm having a hard time adjusting to the blurry backgrounds and super smooth characters.

As far as I can tell the closest to original version is the PlayStation mini but that still has a blur filter on it. I'm hoping that maybe the pc version can turn off filtering and go low Rez through a mod or something?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Download an emulator (Like Medfan) and play the original version (if you have a copy, of course)

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The Playstation Mini version doesn't have a blur filter beyond being upscaled to a 720p output.

EDIT: I might be wrong about this, does it have forced bilinear filtering?

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Original PS1 version that you can play on PS1, PS2, PS3 or PSP. (PS1/PS2 if you still have a CRT)
Otherwise emulator using STRICTLY Mednafen through emulators like Bizhawk or Retroarch.
No modern version released by Square-Enix doesn't have the bilinear upscale + uprez 3D models
I don't know about the PS1 classic's output to know if it's blurry or not.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
The hacks for the PS1 Classic that allow you to add additional games also give you options like disabling the bilinear filter.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah if you have a Playstation classic and can get rid of the filtering easily through hacking, then it's the best version you have on you. Hacking your device is legit, nothing illegal about it

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Do you feel strongly negative against PC?

www.moddb.com

Remako HD Graphics Mod for Final Fantasy VII

The Remako HD Graphics Mod was a mod for Final Fantasy 7. It uses AI neural networks to enlarge and enhance the pre-rendered backgrounds, FMVs and other textures in the game. This makes them look much higher resolution than before, helping the game look...

There are mods that offer something essentially akin to a sharpened version of the vanilla visuals. Might be worth checking out.

ff7_remako_battle_comparison.jpg

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can turn off filtering in the PC version, but on modern monitors, it ain't pretty. Your best bet is to play it on PSP or Vita, or an emulator with a good CRT filter. There is also an AI upscale mod that looks incredible but it's a notorious GIANT pain in the ass to install.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
The PSClassic version is not filtered. Its the PAL version though (lower framerate)

You may be confusing filtering with the 720p upscale. Bilinear is not enabled by the emulator by default.
By default, it's blurry, and there's an option in the hacking tool to disable bilinear filtering, which makes it not be blurry anymore. Also, FF7 is NTSC, not PAL.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
By default, it's blurry, and there's an option in the hacking tool to disable bilinear filtering, which makes it not be blurry anymore. Also, FF7 is NTSC, not PAL.

So bilinear is ON within PCSX ReARMed for all the included games? Weird, I remember having to manually enable it on some titles.

OP best bet is to use Retroarch with whatever of the current methods (Bleemsync, Iris, etc.). He could throw a scanlines overlay on top and all.