• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
For the last year or so I've really cut back on the amount of reading that I do and I'd like to fix that. The thing is that I've got a super stressful job and when I get off work I just want to absorb really "simple" media. Do y'all have any recommendations for easy reading sci-fi?

I'm not looking for a 1,000 page space opera that'll have me contemplating the meaning of life. I just want to shut my brain off and read about some silly space stuff.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Time Salvager and Time Siege by Wesley Chu: The future's fucked on a galactic scale, so we have to use time travel to plunder the past of all its resources.
Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi: A family of bipedal cat creatures moved into my shack and I have to disprove their sapience for a huge paycheck.
Artemis by Andy Weir: Screwing over Brazilian gangsters legitimate businessmen on the only colony on the moon.
Zeroboxer by Fonda Lee: Zero-G mixed martial arts tournaments, what more could you want?

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Warhammer novels are my go to "dumb" sci-fi. Not a lot of heavy thinking required, but some of them have really beautiful prose describing the battles and landscapes. A few years ago I bought a bunch of the "Horus Heresy" books in a humble bundle and have been slowly working through them. Really enjoyed Fulgrim, A Thousand Sons, and Prospero Burns (the latter two being kind of alternate POVs of the same conflict.)

OP
OP
SpottieO

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Warhammer novels are my go to "dumb" sci-fi. Not a lot of heavy thinking required, but some of them have really beautiful prose describing the battles and landscapes. A few years ago I bought a bunch of the "Horus Heresy" books in a humble bundle and have been slowly working through them. Really enjoyed Fulgrim, A Thousand Sons, and Prospero Burns (the latter two being kind of alternate POVs of the same conflict.)
if I know absolutely nothing about war hammer would I be pretty lost?

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I knew a bit going in from playing the video games, but each book does a good job of telling a self contained story taking place against the backdrop of the larger universe. They all also tend to have narrators who spend at least a few pages going over the basics of the universe. Who are the space marines, what is the grand crusade, who are the primarchs, etc. I certainly never felt like I had to go look up some character or world on a wiki to follow what was happening.

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the old stuff I read as a kid had pretty straight forward writing

Ring World or The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven we're always good.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Not exactly sci-fi (more cyberpunk dystopia) but I really enjoyed Rx: A Tale of Electronegativity by Robert Brockway. Well fleshed out scenes that felt similar in pacing to The Fifth Element for me.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Halo books are honestly my go to pulp sci fi. Even if youve never played a game fall of reach and ghosts of onyx are worth a read.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
These two books are quick and fun. They each kick-off a series, but can be enjoyed stand-alone. (Cordelia's Honor is technically two books, but it's mostly sold as an omnibus.)

Cordelia's Honor (Vorkosigan Saga) by Lois McMaster Bujold
In her first trial by fire, Cordelia Naismith captained a throwaway ship of the Betan Expeditionary Force on a mission to destroy an enemy armada. Discovering deception within deception, treachery within treachery, she was forced into a separate peace with her chief opponent, Lord Aral Vorkosigan - he who was called "The Butcher of Komarr".

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet (Wayfarers) by Becky Chambers
When Rosemary Harper joins the crew of the Wayfarer, she isn't expecting much. The patched-up ship has seen better days, but it offers her everything she could possibly want: a spot to call home, a chance to explore the far-off corners of the galaxy, and some distance from her past.

And nothing could be further from what she's known than the crew of the Wayfarer. From Sissix, the exotic reptilian pilot, to Kizzy and Jenks, the chatty engineers who keep the ship running, to the noble captain Ashby, life aboard is chaotic and crazy—exactly what Rosemary wants. That is until the crew is offered the job of a lifetime tunneling wormholes through space to a distant planet. Sure, they'll earn enough money to live comfortably for years, but risking her life wasn't part of the job description.

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the old stuff I read as a kid had pretty straight forward writing

Ring World or The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven we're always good.

Let me double up on Mote in God's Eye.

I also think the Ender/Bean series of books are fantastic. Speaker for the Dead Has a huge impact on me when I was younger.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
Here are some recent SF recommendations that I'd describe as being fast paced reads; not necessarily light but compelling and definitely not epic slogs.

All Systems Red by Martha Wells - The first of the Murderbot Diaries novellas, this is the story of a security construct who is designed as a killing machine for hire and who really just wants to be left alone to pirate as much television as it can manage to watch. Murderbot is stuck in the amoral corporate sector of the space opera future and is generally on assignment trying to keep squishy human jerks from killing themselves out of stupidity or corporate intrigue, but then it gets assigned to people who aren't total assholes and things get exciting from there. All four novellas are super entertaining, but the first one is totally self contained if you'd like to stop there.

The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers - A young human woman gets a job on a ship crewed by a variety of aliens who make a living plotting wormhole tunnels and things go all found family from there. It's kinda like a slice-of-life variation on Firefly, with an emphasis on the characterizations and personal interactions and not so much on heavy plot. This may not be your cup of tea but I loved it and it's definitely a cozy read. More books follow but this one is totally self-contained.

The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi - This may be cheating somewhat, since it's the first book in a trilogy where the third volume hasn't been published yet, so I can't vouch for Scalzi nailing the landing here until April. That said, I tore through both novels out so far at high speed and feel like this is probably the sort of thing you're thinking of. A vast galactic civilization uses a sort of wormhole travel technique that links their many solar systems - until the system starts to fall apart, at which point all hell breaks loose. It's high speed entertainment with disaster movie tension combined with vicious galactic politics and at least one character whose mastery of profanity is a delight to behold. It is a trilogy, but I think the whole thing is going to clock in at around 1000 pages and, again, it goes like lightning so you aren't going to be sitting around bored.

If you want to try reading Scalzi and would prefer something self-contained, I really enjoyed the SF mystery novel Lock In, which is set in the future where a significant percentage of the population has a disease that has their mind active and aware but locked into their bodies unresponsively - which is why humanity developed robot suits for them to tool around in, with all the complciations that entails. Our protagonist has the disease and has just been hired as the first locked-in detective. It's a solid mystery and an interesting SF concept, all rolled into one. Additional volumes are out there but it can be totally enjoyed as a stand alone novel.

Hopefully some of those suggestions help. Either way, here's hoping you find something good to read! And, if you decide you need a SF series to get into, drop back by and I'm happy to hold forth on Lois Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga. It's only seventeen novels...wait, where are you going?

Edit: While I was typing Pau beat me to the Becky Chambers rec - which I enthusiastically second - and plugged the first Vorkosigan omnibus, which I also enthusiastically second. Cordelia's Honor is top-notch space opera with wonderful characters, intrigue, military SF, romance, and all manner of badassery. I really can't recommend Bujold highly enough and the two novels there are an excellent introduction to her writing. And, if you dig it, Young Miles is the excellent follow-up omnibus - again, superior, genre-blending space opera with an emphasis on characerization. So recommended.

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
The Wrong Stars: very fun, breezy, LGBTQ friendly, yet not trashy at all. It's just serious enough to keep you reading.

The shady crew of the White Raven run freight and salvage at the fringes of our solar system. They discover the wreck of a centuries-old exploration vessel floating light years away from its intended destination and revive its sole occupant, who wakes with news of First Alien Contact. When the crew break it to her that humanity has alien allies already, she reveals that these are very different extra-terrestrials… and the gifts they bestowed on her could kill all humanity, or take it out to the most distant stars.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series. I've read the first 3 so far and they are great fun.

Andy Weir's two novels (Artemis, The Martian) are real popcorny page turners too.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The Light Brigade was a ton of fun and despite the minor mindfuckery-ness of it, a very easy and breezy read.

I'm only a few books into it (reading in chronological, not publication order) but I'll second/third the Vorkosigan Saga too.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I just finished Skyward from Brandon Sanderson and I really liked it, immediately ordered the sequel too.
It's a bit YA, but if that doesn't bother you, you're in for a good time.
It's basically Top Gun in space, with teenagers.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
As I said in the other thread, go with Old Man's War. I know more then few people who have enjoyed reading it after Neil Stephenson and Peter Watts. It doesn't throw high scifi concepts at you every few pages, doesn't ponder meaning of it all too deep. Good straight forward story with some amount of humor as well.

There is more then one book but I think it works well as stand alone. I never went beyond the first book. But friends have told me that rest of the books are solid as well, if you get hooked on it.

The Horus Heresy saga is fine place to start. You don't need to know much and it opens the universe more then enough. I think there more then 50 books in the saga, so again if you get into it there is shit load of more :D

edit. technically it's warhammer 30K setting. But it's more or less the same.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Upside down
We are legion, We are bob and Singularity Trap by Dennis E Taylor are excellent.

Artemis and The Martian are also great.

Hitchhikers Guide is also another superb series.

Red Shirts is also great if you like star trek.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
If you're into fleet combat I would suggest The Lost Fleet series. Lots of good space battles and interesting tactics. The human drama can be kinda bad in the early books, especially the love triangle plot going on between the main characters.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Halo books are honestly my go to pulp sci fi. Even if youve never played a game fall of reach and ghosts of onyx are worth a read.

I'll agree with that to be fair, they are pretty great. Even if you know nothing about the games they are great sci-fi books on their own that tell a good story and defs fit the fit your criteria of easy reading popcorn books.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The original Frank Herbert Dune books are some of my favorites because they're so heady and complicated.

But his son Brian Herbert took up the series and took it in a much... simpler direction to put it kindly.

While not nearly being as good of a writer, back when I was still in high school I enjoyed reading his prequel Dune series' as just fun, light, actiony Scifi books set in that universe.
One trilogy takes place thousands of years before Dune during the Butlurian Jihad (basically back during a human vs. robot war).
Another trilogy takes place much closer to Dune, and basically sets up the major characters from Dune (like Paul's parents, and Baron Harkonnen).

The two sequel books he wrote to conclude the original Dune trilogy are pretty bad especially if you just read his father's books, but they tie pretty heavily into Brian Herbert's prequel series.
Yeah, I actually liked Fall of Reach (the book) a lot more than Reach (the game).

There's a solid book version of Halo 1 too, so you can get at least a trilogy of solid Scifi books with Fall of Reach, The Flood (Halo 1's story), and First Strike (takes place between Halo 1 and 2.

Not sure if they did book versions of the other games, but I didn't read much of the books past Ghosts of Onyx.

Last edited:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
If you're looking for easy sci fi, I found the two Skyward books by Brandon Sanderson to be easy reading. They are pretty YA but I read through them damn quickly. I don't remember them being overly long either.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Ooh, I remembered another series I loved when I was younger.

Not space sci-fi, but there was a series of Godzilla books written by Marc Cerasini.
Godzilla Returns, Godzilla 2000, Godzilla at World's End, and Godzilla vs The Robot Monsters.

I remember them being a lot of fun as a Godzilla fan and pretty light reading.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Red Rising Rseries by Pierce Brown.

Best Brutal/Fast-Paced Sci-Fi I've read in ages.
The writing style is soooo good.
5 books are out but the first 3 Books are a completed trilogy.
The story is set in our solar system. No FTL , Roman inspired culture. Setting is Pretty Grimm-dark.

www.goodreads.com

Red Rising (Red Rising Saga, #1)

"I live for the dream that my children will be born fre…

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

The story is set in our solar system. No FTL , Roman inspired culture. Setting is Pretty Grimm-dark.

www.goodreads.com

I second this. It also starts out a bit YA but it's well written and I think the class struggles that are explicit in this are a great allegory for 2020.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I second this. It also starts out a bit YA but it's well written and I think the class struggles that are explicit in this are a great allegory for 2020.

I am not a fan of 1-st person narrative but it works reaaaaaly well for this series.
I read the books and listened to the audio books of 1-3 before starting book 4 and I have to say Tim Gerard Reynolds does a great job displaying the emotions of the MC and the rest of the cast in 1-3, his voice is really pleasant to listen to also. I would say he is my 3rd favorite narrator after Michael Kramer and René Auberjonois ( RIP :( )

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I am not a fan of 1-st person narrative but it works reaaaaaly well for this series.
I read the books and listened to the audio books of 1-3 before starting book 4 and I have to say Tim Gerard Reynolds does a great job displaying the emotions of the MC and the rest of the cast in 1-3, his voice is really pleasant to listen to also. I would say he is my 3rd favorite narrator after Michael Kramer and René Auberjonois ( RIP :( )

I can't attest to the voice work but the action scenes are really well written. And I agree about the 1st person.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017

www.goodreads.com

Listen to this man. Pierce Brown is a beast.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I actually liked Fall of Reach (the book) a lot more than Reach (the game).

There's a solid book version of Halo 1 too, so you can get at least a trilogy of solid Scifi books with Fall of Reach, The Flood (Halo 1's story), and First Strike (takes place between Halo 1 and 2.

Not sure if they did book versions of the other games, but I didn't read much of the books past Ghosts of Onyx.

Seems like they have put out a tonne of books now:

www.halopedia.org

Halo novels

The Halo novels are books that have expanded heavily on the Halo universe.

I had read them all up until The Cole Protocol and also the Kilo-Five Trilogy which was also good. Since then it seems they have put out a load more so don't know if any of them are any good. The first 6 were great though as was the Kilo-Five trilogy. Most of the books take place outside of the games which is cool because you get to see things that aren't covered like the early days of the Spartan program and why they were created in the first place, the struggles of humanity and all the infighting that was happening prior to the Covenant showing up, plus obviously humanities first interactions of them prior to the Fall Of Reach, mystery as various settlements are going dark and nobody knows why, etc.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Finder by Suzanne Palmer: A repo guy is given a job to recover a stolen space ship from a deep space colony. It's a pretty fun story with weird aliens, strange humans, and occasionally gross depictions of life on rundown space stations.

Oct 27, 2017
If you haven't read Ender's Game it's a very easy, very fast, HIGHLY entertaining book. Its immediate sequel, Speaker for the Dead is honestly one of my favorite books, but be warned, you have to separate the art from the author with this one.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
If you haven't read Ender's Game it's a very easy, very fast, HIGHLY entertaining book. Its immediate sequel, Speaker for the Dead is honestly one of my favorite books, but be warned, you have to separate the art from the author with this one.

The tonal shift from Enders Game to Speaker of the Dead is also something that really surprised me back in the day...

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017

^

For the last year or so I've really cut back on the amount of reading that I do and I'd like to fix that. The thing is that I've got a super stressful job and when I get off work I just want to absorb really "simple" media. Do y'all have any recommendations for easy reading sci-fi?

I'm not looking for a 1,000 page space opera that'll have me contemplating the meaning of life. I just want to shut my brain off and read about some silly space stuff.

SpottieO , you wanna read some Gaunt's Ghosts novels.

Artemis by Andy Weir: Screwing over Brazilian gangsters legitimate businessmen on the only colony on the moon.

I'd go for The Martian instead. I stopped reading Artemis about a third of the way through, pretty dreadful, not even 10% as entertaining as his first book.

Last edited:

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
John Scalzi writes really great scifi for easy reading but some really nice world building.

Old Man's War is great and I'd love to see it as a TV show.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
The tonal shift from Enders Game to Speaker of the Dead is also something that really surprised me back in the day...
I really need to read the second book. I wasn't biggest fan of Ender's Game (towards the end it got really good). But I have heard so much praises for Speakr of the Dead and seems like it would be much more up my alley.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you like Western flavored sci-fi then I recommend Santiago.

Santiago Series by Mike Resnick

Science fiction. Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future (Santiago, #1), The Return of Santiago (Santiago, #2), Legends of Santiago (Santiago, #1-2), and The ...
It's light, quick and entertaining.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
We are legion, We are bob and Singularity Trap by Dennis E Taylor are excellent.

Artemis and The Martian are also great.

Hitchhikers Guide is also another superb series.

Red Shirts is also great if you like star trek.
I'll second Taylor's Bobiverse series (there's also a 3rd book called All These World's on top of the two above), they're a fun take on space exploration. I've not yet read Singularity Trap but got it lined up, and if you have Amazon Prime they're all free with Prime (or Kindle Library, not sure which), but don't need Kindle Unlimited.

Artemis is also a great book that takes the science focus of The Martian and drops it in a sci-fi adventure.

For my own suggestions:
- I really enjoyed Kameron Murphy's God War. It's the first in a series but I've not had a chance to read the rest yet.

- RR Haywood's Extracted trilogy isn't bad as pulp time travel action sci-fi, I enjoyed reading through them although I'd probably say try some of the higher rated suggestions first.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

www.goodreads.com

I'd skip books 4 and 5 though. So far, the magic of the original trilogy just hasn't been there.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ender's game is great, as are the following books, though tonally they lose lost of their pulpyness and become much more like thinking man's sci-fi
For more pulp in the same universe, the Ender's Shadow spinoff series is fun

How pulpy of SciFi are we talking? Because I have read some straight up Dan Brown level of disposable, high fat high sugar comfort food SciFi. The Undying Mercenaries series (audiobooks narrated by Mark Boyett) and the Expeditionary Force series (narrated by the always excellent R.C. Bray (the Martian)) are fairly enjoyable, totally brainless, and admittedly sometimes formulaic SciFi.
I have an hour commute each way, so I absolutely chew through audiobooks, and have to cast a wide net to find series that will keep my sleep deprived ass awake on the road at 5AM

OP
OP
SpottieO

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all of the recommendations! I'll check out all of these, probably going to start with Old Man's War.