• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 40 years old and have never owned a record player. I have a very small collection of vinyl i've Picked up over the years, and am strongly considering finally buying a record player. I'm interested in reading everyone's opinions on what to buy and what I should do. Also interested in LP recommendations. Any opinion you have, I'm interested in! Even if it's just to talk me out of it, lol. My budget it probably $300 or less for a record player. I have a receiver and speakers I'm not using, so I could use those in the short term and eventually upgrade them if I want.

I sincerely appreciate any feedback.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you want one?

Certainly not convienence or nostalgia if you never had one. Just make sure you know what you are getting in to because analog can be a pain in the ass sometimes. Also watch new releases and re releases, some places do some shit pressing and/or shit mixing to capitalize on the vinyl fad $$. You can and will get lost in reviews of quality for releases if you get really interested in it.

That being said I have a uturn orbit and it works great :)

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the ~$300 price point I'd go with a U-Turn Orbit. Solid deck, well-built. Add an extra $60 if you need a phono pre-amp, but if your receiver is old enough it may have one built in.

The hobby can be a total money pit, though. I love it, but...beware.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
Don't spend too much money initially because you may quickly realize that it can be a very expensive hobby that you do not continue pursuing. If it's something you really get into and passionate about you can splurge later on. The orbit as others have suggested is good. Personally a great pair of headphones is a far better way of enjoying music than a bunch of records taking up space.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
You should also look into pro-ject turntables like the debut carbon.

OP
OP
Megatron

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you want one?

Certainly not convienence or nostalgia if you never had one. Just make sure you know what you are getting in to because analog can be a pain in the ass sometimes. Also watch new releases and re releases, some places do some shit pressing and/or shit mixing to capitalize on the vinyl fad $$. You can and will get lost in reviews of quality for releases if you get really interested in it.

That being said I have a uturn orbit and it works great :)

Partially to play the records that I already own and partially because there's something romantic to me about the idea of listening to a record while sipping a whiskey or some shit. I know that some people swear they love the way stuff sounds on vinyl (which is not the same as saying it has higher sound quality than lossless flac)

I don't plan to go crazy into the hobby, probably never own more than 70 records, but it seems like something that would be interesting to get into and I don't really know how to experience it without just buying a turn table.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Partially to play the records that I already own and partially because there's something romantic to me about the idea of listening to a record while sipping a whiskey or some shit. I know that some people swear they love the way stuff sounds on vinyl (which is not the same as saying it has higher sound quality than lossless flac)

I don't plan to go crazy into the hobby, probably never own more than 70 records, but it seems like something that would be interesting to get into and I don't really know how to experience it without just buying a turn table.

Listening to a record while sipping whiskey is one of life's joys.

OP
OP
Megatron

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I have this one and I like it a lot.

Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable (USB & Analog), Silver https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_X87VCbPE58B8K

You could probably get the cheaper one too and it would work fine.
Yeah, that's the one I've been looking at. The cheaper one I think is essentially the same, but doesn't have USB and can't play the really old records. I think I'd probably just spend the money for those features but I could go either way.

At the ~$300 price point I'd go with a U-Turn Orbit. Solid deck, well-built. Add an extra $60 if you need a phono pre-amp, but if your receiver is old enough it may have one built in.

The hobby can be a total money pit, though. I love it, but...beware.

Haven't heard of that one, I will look into it, thanks.
This. Get two of these and a microphone. That's where it's at.
I understand this reference.

OH, Two turntables and a microphone! I didn't get it until you posted that!
Don't spend too much money initially because you may quickly realize that it can be a very expensive hobby that you do not continue pursuing. If it's something you really get into and passionate about you can splurge later on. The orbit as others have suggested is good. Personally a great pair of headphones is a far better way of enjoying music than a bunch of records taking up space.

Are there good wireless headphones? Wired headphones sounds horrible to me.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I owned an Audio Technica LP-120 but I upgraded to a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon last year and it's a noticeable improvement. My advice would be to start with the Pro-Ject.

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
the AT 120 is probably the best bet. a decent turntable at a good price with the most convenient features for someone just getting started.

it'll be the easiest and a solid choice for the budget you are working with.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
SL1200. NEVER LOOK BACK. It's a tank-a-rooski.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200
sl1200.jpg

Edit*
The MK2 model specifically (but they're all groovy and great!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200#MK2_models

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
I picked up the Audio Technica LP-60 BT the other year (goes for around $125) and have loved it. It has built in Bluetooth so that I can connect directly to my wireless headphones.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Technics tables rule, but it's not exactly common to find one for an affordable price that doesn't need significant work.

And they're wallet-busting new.
I haven't checked out their scene since they've 'discontinued' that brand. They used to be easy to find for ~$200 or so. Also, never seen 'em need work really. Look like crap on the outside? Def. Actually stopped it from performing alright? Never lol

They're insanely expensive last I checked after the discontinuation. Which is dumb. I guess my point is, they're tanks and they're everywhere since the 1970's (and 79 for the MKII)

Edit* Holy crap. Their new pricings are embarrassingly shit:
https://www.google.com/search?ei=0_...1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.hNS_e-DCleQ
Nearly every one is over $1k.

I have the MK2 model, got one in Craigslist in box for $200 practically brand new. Was a huge upgrade compared to my original turntable.
Ohhhh yeeee
you already know!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Megatron

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up the Audio Technica LP-60 BT the other year (goes for around $125) and have loved it. It has built in Bluetooth so that I can connect directly to my wireless headphones.

That is so tempting too. I love the potential for Bluetooth. It's annoying how all these different LL's have different features. Why does their $300 model not have Bluetooth?

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I have a Projekt Debut III that I got off eBay for cheap. The build quality and sound are fantastic, but it's very basic in terms of features (its only control is the on/off switch).

BubbaMc

Oct 30, 2017
Look out for a used Linn Axis and replace the capacitors.

I sold mine a few years back and have seriously regretted it!

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Audio-Technica AT-LP120 is the right answer for a first table.

- It's built like a tank
- It has built in pre-amp
- You can change 33 - 45 at the touch of a button and you have a spindle adaptor as well
- You have pitch shift (Listening to Aphex Twin slowed down is awesome)
- The cartridge can be taken off and put on very easily (it can even be stored on the deck itself, for transport)
- Very cheap for everything it brings to the table

At your price range, the fuss you have to go through with the other brands is not worth it.
The belt driven tables might have a better noise floor, but to start with, it's not worth the fuss.

I owned an Audio Technica LP-120 but I upgraded to a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon last year and it's a noticeable improvement. My advice would be to start with the Pro-Ject.

I have a Project Debut III with an upgraded cartridge myself, my nephew has an AT-LP120. For a beginner, the upgrade is not worth it.
The AT-LP120 is much more convenient to use.

Considering we are talking about the 300$ or lower priced Project turntables, these are some of the disadvantages:

* With the Project, if you want to change from 33 to 45 you have to:
- Take the record off and remove the slipmat
- Take the platter off
- Re-position the belt
- Put everything back
After the 3 or 4th time you do it, it gets super annoying.
On the AT you press a button.

* With the Project you also have to get a pre-amp, as it doesn't have one built in. A decent one is at least 100$.

* The Project also doesn't come with the spindle adapters to play 45's; that's another expense.

Last edited:

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not saying not to :) just know going in that analog is bitch sometimes. I had about 100 or so records inherited/given to me by family members plus a few I bought and find myself listening to different music (currently going through jazz/fusion/Philadelphia soul that I never listen to on streaming). It also forces me to listen to an entire album which is something I normally don't do with streaming.

Beyond that, listening to Charlie Mingus or the Weather Report on vinyl sounds way more... Alive to me than pulling it up on a streaming service.

Also consider part of your budget will be on clean and prep supplies, with just a handful of records the manual route will be fine, but buy good record sleeves and jacket sleeves to keep what you have in good condition.

The uturn orbit has been great for me, I got their Pluto external preamp so I could swap later if I wanted to and not have to abandon the money spent on a built in one. If you can find a used sl1200 like kitchenmotors did, then you are set for a LONG time. The uturn is a really good starter TT that can last you a long time. Be warned, TTs that are in that price range and good are very manual. U-turn has no auto lift/return for the tone arm, you need to move the belt to change speeds etc... But you are getting a great constructed TT for those trade-offs