• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I have my stock stereo system from when the car was built a decade ago. The iPod cable started acting up awhile ago and I've been listening to regular low quality radio for a long while. The cable is an oem part that connects to an input in the center armrest console. It has an issue where if it works it will only play what seems like half the sound similar to when an aux cable is only plugged halfway. On top of that the cable had to have an adapter plugged into an adapter to get the cable to work with iPhones. An authentic part for the main cable costs way too much on its own.

I'm now ready to finally listen to some high quality audio of my own choosing (plus I want to be able to easily charge my phone again in the car).

I saw a lot of recommendations to just get it done at Best Buy, which I would normally avoid especially with knowing the reputation of Geek Squad PC Repair. The recommendations were pretty positive about their car department, so I might just go there.

At first I was just looking to change the stereo receiver, but now I'm contemplating getting an amp, replacing the stock speakers, and possibly getting a subwoofer? I'm looking to get a stereo receiver with Apple Car Play. I saw that amps have been made a lot smaller with the new D Class amps. They fit inside glove boxes now!

Anything I should be on the look out for or avoid? I was looking at going with Alpine since their receivers look really nice. I was also looking at Sony and Pioneer's stuff. I'm guessing Kicker brand speakers should be avoided? They seem like the brand that gets pushed the most on their site.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've been using Sony for my past two head units and they're really good. I have this on my 12 year old car and it makes it look so much more modern.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xav-ax100

96f62e59887823f54574db804b443445

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Pioneer has a line of head units with Carplay and Android Auto built in. Also, if trunk space is important to you, I'd look for Sub and Amp that takes up little space

OP
OP
Trojita

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Sony for my past two head units and they're really good. I have this on my 12 year old car and it makes it look so much more modern.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xav-ax100

96f62e59887823f54574db804b443445
That's one of the ones I was looking at. It seems Sony is the good choice for receivers in the $300-400 range. Alpine looks like a good choice if you want to splurge more money. Alpine has this huge single DIN display, but I'm not sure how practical it will be in my car (plus it is expensive!)

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
+1 on pioneer. I used to have a few pioneer head unit in a few of my older cars and all worked and sounded good. I'm sure these days most of the head units fine. Going to
Come down to preference if you want a single small unit or a touch screen.

Also had an alpine unit before as my first head unit and that worked good too.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% make sure you get one with Apple Carplay and Android Auto. I like the Pioneers too.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% make sure you get one with Apple Carplay and Android Auto. I like the Pioneers too. Carplay is usually better than most built-in car tech and in my Audi, completely usurps the use of MMI even for navigation. Only downside is that they are very conservative about safety - so you can't for example post a Tweet or Facebook post using voice through carplay, even in vehicles that normally allow it. I could really use more access to my Outlook calendar on the road but you get used to the weird little dead ends.

DeepSearch

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
The best bang for your buck would be upgrading the head unit, replacing the front speakers (preferably with a set of component speakers) powered by a 2 channel amp, then adding a subwoofer and mono amp. Don't waste your time or money replacing the rear speakers, They'll basically be filler anyways.

If you don't mind spending a little money, look into a Pioneer head unit with Apple CarPlay/android equivalent. I've got one in my truck and it's provably the best HU I've ever owned. Best Buy is an option, they did alright work the couple times I used them, but their prices tend to be a little high. SonicElectronix.com is reputable site with good prices. Avoid crutchfield if you don't want to overpay. I'm on mobile right now, but when I get back to my computer I'll look up a good audio subreddit that has a really good breakdown of brands/speakers/amps by cost.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe wire a rear view camera if they are adding subs in your trunk if you want one. Might be the cheapest time to do so

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
With how interwoven new car audio systems are into their onboard systems, how hard is it to replace the head unit these days? Like if I did that I'd lose GPS, Rear view camera, full climate control, homelink and many other features that are pretty vital to the cars operation. Do they have systems to keep that stuff working?

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not too many bad choices you can make, Alpine, Pioneer & Sony are all solid choices for geas units. I went Alpine because I could get everything from them: Deck / head unit, amps, speakers, sub, etc.

Best Buy is definitely the way to go, a lot of people don't know that many dealerships contract their work out to Best Buy for remote starts and other installs. The nice thing about getting installed with them is if you buy the warranty on the same receipt as the install, they'll reinstall your replacement for free which is cool.

Depending on how far you're going, I'd recommend getting some Dynamat installed in your doors and trunk, especially if you're doing a subwoofer. It helps keep outside noise out and inside noise in, improves sound quality, and helps lower the rattling sound from vibrating plastic in the car.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Slight hijack. I have a 2010 Cobalt coupe that the driver's speaker went out finally so I get no door chimes or turn signal sounds. I drive an hour every day so was thinking about upgrading the speakers just to get something a little nicer than stock. Should I do the head unit too? I'd love something with carplay. Overall I really just want something that sounds a bit better than stock. So debating just doing the 4 speakers...

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
Depending on how far you're going, I'd recommend getting some Dynamat installed in your doors and trunk, especially if you're doing a subwoofer. It helps keep outside noise out and inside noise in, improves sound quality, and helps lower the rattling sound from vibrating plastic in the car.

To add on that I would also add some closed cell foam (I recommend raammat). It will help with not just deadening sound, it will also help with the insulation in your car. I put some on my doors, trunk and headliner. Made a hell of a difference.

OP
OP
Trojita

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I saw those on sale at crutchfield. I didn't even know they were a thing. I was thinking about installing some just to keep the road noise out, but the audio quality improvements are a definite perk on top of that. Plus ultimately you will be saving your ears at the end of the day ( for those unaware, turning up audio because you can't hear your music does a double duty beating on your ear drums. You still get hit with the noise from outside and then add on your higher volume music on top of that.)