• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
I just had this urge to ask my fellow Reseters their opinion about a topic that is dear to me : media consumption and our capacity to aim for "better" instead of "more" or "fresh". It's not that I have anything against those others options but I think, and maybe I'm alone in this and that's all right, that we are increasingly assaulted with numerous ways of entertainment and that each ways in itself holds so many possibilities that a critical examination of said material is growing more needed by the year.

Mass-Effect-Andromeda-LOGO.jpg

Now to add a little background to these lines, I have OCD and this impacts my life. Granted, the majority of other people maybe don't feel the same, but I dare think that the questions I'm asking are not worthless. To expand a little on this, my OCD has severely limited my media consumption as years passed, unable to choose between hundred of ways to entertain myself I finally choose the most obvious solution, fuck that noise. So I maybe watch two movies a year, still have to read so much books I should already have read, etc. But again, the quest for a better way of handling our consumption don't strike me as something only someone suffering from OCD should be interested in.

geostorm_lead.jpg

But there are two axes to this question :

- Patrimonial
I don't subscribe to the idea that pop culture is trash (although this debate has merits of its own), and I think keeping an eye on highly qualitative material from the past is a necessity.

That being said, how do you do it ? How do you select which material is worth consuming ? There are several issues at hand.
In the case of patrimonial material, critical references may be difficult to come by. I imagine scholars of pop culture are not dime a dozen. And the more niche the material the more difficult the endeavor will forcibly be. I'm not certain you can, for example, base your "old" anime watching on a random youtube channel.

I could see a top of all time kind of poll being made yearly. It leaves some issues like voters bias, though. You swap the scholar for the masses and hope that the cream of the crop emerges by itself, but I don't think that's automatically how it works. You obtain a popularity measure, not a qualitative one. Not perfect.

ultimatum_ft.jpg

- Actual
I still think it must be possible to consume recent products without having the feeling to be led by fabricated hype. It's more of a personnal issue, totally granted.

But how do you choose what to consume ?
Reviews aggregator don't exist for everything, and traditionnal reviews and notation strike me as ill-suited in this search for the "best". I mean when you use maybe half the scale of notation, you don't help me much. If 80% of things are 7/10 I'm not really helped. When you don't put the work being reviewed against the notable other works available, I'm still left very much unhelped, with hundreds of things to parse through.

Possible solutions
The elephant in the room is that some part of the solution is in knowing oneself. But for one, shit is hard, brah. And secondly, if it can help in some capacity, you don't have magical eyesight and can't totally judge something you haven't consumed before, well, consuming it.

Disclaimer
This thread was made in good faith, it maybe could be seen as too personnal, too masturbatory or too broad, but again, looking to better consume strikes me as a noble endeavor, generally speaking.
It was illustrated humorously with divisive works, I don't really have any horse in each races here. Except for Ultimatum, the content of which makes my skin crawl.

Final thought ?
I think this subject is far too broad and my head hurts.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Your OP made my head hurt. Don't think about it that much. Just play and watch what you want.

Also I don't think you know what qualitative means.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your OP made my head hurt. Don't think about it that much. Just play and watch what you want.

First post nails it.

OP if you are obsessed with quality just hit review aggregators and don't watch/play/read anything below an 80. I know you said that they don't exist for everything but we live in a time when there is so much media produced that you are unable to consume it all.

Also consider your purchases a library instead of a backlog. It's liberating. Let people borrow the things you enjoy and talk about it when they return it.

ALTERNATIVELY find someone who knows you well or a reviewer with similar tastes and then just try things they recommend.

Owari

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Geostorm and Andromeda are horrible, horrible pieces of media. So start with choosing the stuff at least some people say are good. Work your way from there.

Deleted member 20296

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't over think it.

I let Netflix forums and add reccomend cool movies and music and watch and listen to that.

Like much of the world now high quality binge series watching gets most of my tv time.

Music I let Spotify radio me based off my choices and things I like. It works

OP
OP
Li Kao

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a little too much on the stream of consciousness side. Or more appropriately, the beginning of a piece which maybe should have stayed in my head.

What are you basing that on ? Please tell me it's not on the pictures used.
To expand on that, I had a big block of text and thought it would be really nasty just putting it as is, so I choose to deliberately put pictures of some infamous works randomly.

Last edited:

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... I thought at first that you were looking to consume media in a better way, but by the end of the post, it seems more like you're looking for a way to consume better media, right?

If that's the case, then the only semi-reliable method I know for finding Good Contentis to come to know people, identify the ones with good taste, and get recommendations. As you mention, it's not possible to properly judge a work before consuming it, so at some point, you have to look to those who came before you. That gives you a starting point from which you can branch out into other works that have thematic, aesthetic, or authorial connections to the works you know firsthand are good. Follow those connections for a while, then start back at square one every so often to make sure you get a good variety.
The next question, then, becomes how to choose the right people to take recommendations from. This is going to vary a lot depending on your interests, taste, and experience. For my part, I almost never take recommendations for media that's less than a few years old, and that helps cut out a lot of hype nonsense. I also never bother looking at aggregates, because I'm not interested in mass consensus; again, that's the sort of thing that's influenced heavily by hype. (For similar reasons, Era OT threads aren't particularly helpful.) Thirdly, just never look to YouTube for anything; fifteen-minute videos are not the right medium for critical thinking, and it's not worth swimming through the sludge to find the half-dozen insightful channels worth listening to.
To highlight an example of recommendations that I do often find useful: LTTP threads. I certainly don't play every game I see someone post about on Era, but when a game that's several years old makes enough of an impression on an enthusiast that they want to share their experience with other enthusiasts long after the conversation around the game has ended, I take that as a sign that the game is at least worth taking under consideration. If it's a game I haven't heard of, all the better; I'll read the thread, usually find at least a couple well-articulated musings about the game, and sometimes, decide to add the game to my backlog.

This advice probably isn't all that helpful, but... I don't think there is a perfect solution. To put it plainly: I try things that sound interesting.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
As a popular music scholar it always intrigues me how much people are willing to rank things based on seemingly arbitrary criteria. Those of us that study popular culture are generally trained to find value in everything and are generally sceptical of canons even though we do inadvertantly help to create them.

If you are only ever interested in finding the good, you'll miss out on some fantastic experiences. Don't be afraid to just watch something random. Reading a mediocre book can still be more interesting than not reading anything.

OP
OP
Li Kao

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
As a popular music scholar it always intrigues me how much people are willing to rank things based on seemingly arbitrary criteria. Those of us that study popular culture are generally trained to find value in everything and are generally sceptical of canons even though we do inadvertantly help to create them.

If you are only ever interested in finding the good, you'll miss out on some fantastic experiences. Don't be afraid to just watch something random. Reading a mediocre book can still be more interesting than not reading anything.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not obsessed with goodness in itself, it is just one way of trimming the fat. I'm not by nature one to care about rankings, but when you have hundred of choices, well, you might as well try to avoid the mundane. Or so was my line of thought in creating this thread. I fear the true answer is in letting go and accepting to not consume everything worthwhile.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just watch, read or play what seems interesting to me. If it turns out to not be interesting or something I like the off button is never far away and there is always something else that can immediately take it's place in entertaining me.