• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Was looking around Wayfair and thought this looked nice, but any recommendations would be helpful. I guess you can also post a picture of your setup as well so I can get some inspiration.
www.wayfair.com

Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More | Wayfair

Shop Wayfair for A Zillion Things Home across all styles and budgets. 5,000 brands of furniture, lighting, cookware, and more. Free Shipping on most items.
Landing+Desk.jpg

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I just use the tried and true Ikea Alexs drawers and tabletop that you see all over the internet.

Oct 28, 2017
I was just shopping for desks today and that one caught my eye, I think it is a fairly good budget choice!

In the end I decided to build a Frankendesk/IKEA Hacks desk out of a bunch of different IKEA parts and just purchase a clamp on keyboard tray to install underneath the tabletop. I'll let you know how it turns out, I just finished pricing the parts this morning.

Why on earth are sliding keyboard trays so unpopular these days though? It is a necessity for me!

OP
OP
Demon Lizardman
Oct 25, 2017
I was just shopping for desks today and that one caught my eye, I think it is a fairly good budget choice!

In the end I decided to build a Frankendesk/IKEA Hacks desk out of a bunch of different IKEA parts and just purchase a clamp on keyboard tray to install underneath the tabletop. I'll let you know how it turns out, I just finished pricing the parts this morning.

Why on earth are sliding keyboard trays so unpopular these days though? It is a necessity for me!
I know right? Only problem I am having so far is room for the mouse movement, it looks really limited

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I just use the tried and true Ikea Alexs drawers and tabletop that you see all over the internet.

I used to have that but the desktop got left kinda outside when we moved and got ruined by morning dew.

Replaced with the new IKEA Utespelare gaming desk which I really like. In fact we bought another one for the wife's crafting desk (for her Cricut and such). My old IKEA Alex drawer sits next to it as my printer stand.

It's a nice solid desk with some wire management of a sort. For me it's really nice that it is deeper than a lot of desks, since I end up with my keyboard pushed back and my work Macbook in its place a lot. Also nice that it has adjustable height (although I just use it at the highest setting since I am pretty tall).

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
ikea-jerker-mkii-27405.jpg
I've been using the IKEA Jerker desk since 2004. That thing is gargantuan and I've somehow been able to disassemble and reassemble it seven times. The bolts at this point are almost stripped out, but it's hanging on. One of the best purchases I've made.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

I like having my keyboard and mouse next to each other and the keyboard tray doesn't fit my massive mouse pad, or give me a proper amount of room to use my mouse for gaming.

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing else alone or combined in this corporeal plane has done more damage to my knees than these unholy abominations
I bang my knees and legs and ankles on everything but the keyboard tray, somehow (even though I'm majorly clumsy). The biggest reason I need the tray is that I run my consoles to display on my 2nd monitor and I have two keyboards - a compact one for my consoles which goes on top of the desk, and the PC's keyboard and mouse, which go on the sliding keyboard tray.

I like having my keyboard and mouse next to each other and the keyboard tray doesn't fit my massive mouse pad, or give me a proper amount of room to use my mouse for gaming.
Ah, I see. Unfortunately I have major joint problems especially in my shoulders so I can't do that style of PC gaming any more, though using controllers is still fine. A 27" tray is big enough for both mouse + keyboard for me now, since I use them sparingly due to the inflammation the repetitive motion causes me.

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
My previous company was downsizing and was throwing away a Biomorph adjustable desk, which allows you to stand if you want, and has two levels. I said Id take it and later found out its worth about a thousand bucks. If I had to buy one, Id just get one of those large cutting boards from Ikea and then shelving for the sides. Looks nice, and isnt too expensive.

Jul 26, 2018
I wish we had an Ikea in Iowa

Mandatory rant: I can't game on a desk anymore, couch or nothing. That might change tomorrow tho, I'll try to console on the desk and see how it goes.

PS: my current desk = my old dining table as a makeshift desk for the summer... make of that what you will I guess

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I know all Big Corpo is bad, but Wayfair previously sold beds to the migrant detention camps that housed a lot of people (including children ) that ICE arrested. Wayfair employees staged a walkout in response.

en.wikipedia.org

Wayfair - Wikipedia

Anyways, something like the IKEA Jerker that was posted above seems good.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
If you can, I would say get one of those tables that you can adjust the height. It is good for when you want to stretch a little, and also amazing for different body types. Some people need tables lower than 75cm of height, and some need even higher. If you already know the perfect height for you, and you can't/don't want to pay too much for a desk, then pick one of that size.

What I'll tell you is, never pick desk feet/legs that have independent manual height adjustments. You will regret it, as I did, because you need to check each one of them multiple times. And if it is manual, once you put stuff on top, you will never want to change it again, even tho the height might be slightly wrong.

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
That top desk in the OP looks nice, but I couldn't deal with it. I prefer wide desks with backing boards for extra stability.
www.officedepot.com

Bush Business Furniture Components Credenza Desk 72 W x 24 D Hansen CherryGraphite Gray Standard Delivery - Office Depot

Enjoy Components sturdy design and classic looks. This Credenza Desk Shell gives you the workspace you need with loads of options for expansion. Set up as a standalone desk or add on additional Bush Business Furniture Components products to form an L Shaped or U Shaped Desk sold separately.
Dis mine.
nHYjyH2.jpg

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
If you can, I would say get one of those tables that you can adjust the height. It is good for when you want to stretch a little, and also amazing for different body types. Some people need tables lower than 75cm of height, and some need even higher. If you already know the perfect height for you, and you can't/don't want to pay too much for a desk, then pick one of that size.

What I'll tell you is, never pick desk feet/legs that have independent manual height adjustments. You will regret it, as I did, because you need to check each one of them multiple times. And if it is manual, once you put stuff on top, you will never want to change it again, even tho the height might be slightly wrong.

All that said, I'm still quite happy about some things on my build. Like using a countertop for my desk.

saeljan-countertop-oak-effect-laminate__0808056_pe770665_s5.jpg

I got the SÄLJAN countertop with 188x65x3.8cm and bought the legs separately. That size was amazing for me and my gaming stuff. Now that my wife and I work on it, it has less space, still, I have my side with 2 notebooks, a wide monitor and a Switch behind it. And the countertop is extremely solid.

The bad part of it is that you might need at least 5 legs (6 is better) instead of 4. Because it is not recommend to have 80cm or more of unsustained space

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Got an Ikea Galant adjustable height desk with a computer tray that's still ticking. It's a pretty monstrous 63 x 31. They've long since stopped making these things but man I've had it for almost a decade... Love this thing. I recommend something similar (my computer tray hooks into the bottom and I got x2 simple monitor stands/risers.)
236efbf3c3dcdf839524a2c10eb43489.jpg

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I ordered a table from Wayfair last year and it came without the hardware to assemble it. Their support said I'd have to wait 4-6 weeks for the replacement parts because they refuse to expedite under any circumstances. I won't use them again.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about doing this in the future. Do you use a center pole to prevent sag? I've hear mixed things on whether it was needed or not, and which tabletop did you go with. Thanks!

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I've been using the IKEA Jerker desk since 2004. That thing is gargantuan and I've somehow been able to disassemble and reassemble it seven times. The bolts at this point are almost stripped out, but it's hanging on. One of the best purchases I've made.

I've been using this desk for the last 10 years and have also assembled it/disabled it about 5-7 times. Great desk.

I'll be getting rid of it soon for one that can rise and become a standing desk.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Thinking about doing this in the future. Do you use a center pole to prevent sag? I've hear mixed things on whether it was needed or not, and which tabletop did you go with. Thanks!

I don't, but it probably depends on the length and what countertop/tabletop you decide to go with. I've had one of their butcherblock ones (I'm awful with visually-measuring things, but I think it's around 70 inches) since 2018 and it's going strong. On one end I have an Alex drawer and on the other I have one of these trestles: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/mittback-trestle-birch-30459997/

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Vade

Oct 26, 2017
I grabbed a Husky Work Table from homedepot...8 foot and it's amazing. There are several variations of it.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I bang my knees and legs and ankles on everything but the keyboard tray, somehow (even though I'm majorly clumsy). The biggest reason I need the tray is that I run my consoles to display on my 2nd monitor and I have two keyboards - a compact one for my consoles which goes on top of the desk, and the PC's keyboard and mouse, which go on the sliding keyboard tray.
The idea makes sense. But if you're hitting every part BUT the keyboard tray maybe desks in general aren't for you haha

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I originally had 2 IKEA Tommaryd tables placed in an L in the corner but they were a bit too tall and the whole thing felt a little cramped. So, I bought the Olav adjustable legs and two Idasen table tops. Much more space for my crap now 😅

Excuse the terrible picture quality, also don't have a shot of all of my stuff on the old tables just one I took right after I got it all set up (Before/After)
ZJQEo1.jpg
tf2kKQ.jpg

OP
OP
Demon Lizardman
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the posts, the reason I'm using wayfair is because I have big coupon for it so yeah, didn't know about the shady stuff

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buy the Mojodesk, just got one but it can get very expensive, you can customize the desk how ever you want.

7-CE2-B124-591-B-4-FC3-A794-0-C6-D83-A8-EA3-B.jpg

Jul 1, 2020
Buy the Mojodesk, just got one but it can get very expensive, you can customize the desk how ever you want.

7-CE2-B124-591-B-4-FC3-A794-0-C6-D83-A8-EA3-B.jpg
I bought a desk very similar to that on Woot for way below retail. The box looked like it was run over by seven freight trains and a bus, the screws were missing but somehow the desk inside was totally fine otherwise. I even got a partial refund for the missing screws and I then bought the required screws since they were listed in the manual.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
I just used a workbench top from home depot that was on sale and 2 filling cabinets I already have. Just secure the table and you are good. It held my weight in the middle.

It is sturdier than my L shaped ikea desk

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I used to have one of these too. Best desk I've ever owned, and like you, I disassembled/reassembled it multiple times whenever I moved. The actual desk part is massive, and I like how deep it is. At one point I lowered the top shelf to put two monitors on top, but when I just had one monitor below it (back when I was still using an NEC CRT), the top shelf was great for my printer and other accessories. Was sad when they discontinued it; otherwise I would have bought another one.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Made my own desk just a few weeks back. Pretty pleased with it. Going to replace the speakers with a pair of studio monitors next week and then replace the 27" monitor with another 32" later on. I'm quite happy with the little shelf for my audio interface so I don't have to have the chord going over the desk being annoying.

View: https://i.imgur.com/F7X7jFj.jpeg

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I just got my new desk setup.

It's a Flexispot Q8 that can be used sitting or standing up and has an integraded wireless phone charger.
weiss_q8.jpg

I've installed a display mount that can hold two displays to reduce the clutter.
6oHMVfA.jpeg

v6XxyBw.jpeg

Oct 27, 2017
I got an Apex Elite desk for work. Its a motorized standing desk with a curved edge. I love it but wished I had a slightly bigger office to accommodate the bigger one.

45_fca47d97-30f0-4f2c-8ecd-a071cd41d6f1_700x.jpg

Was able to comfortably fit my 2 matching ASUS 27in monitors with some logitech speakers on each side.

xinoart

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any experience with a bifrost desk? It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I could make my own, but I really can't be bothered lol.

www.yankodesign.com

Bifrost Gaming Desk lets you build your dream battle station - Yanko Design

https://youtu.be/rD1h72snQyc Competitive PC gaming isn't just about having the best gaming computer. It's also about having a conducive environment for frictionless gaming and productivity. Having everything you need within reach is just one part of the equation, and keeping things organized and...

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are so many office/computer desks so damn shallow in their dimensions? The one in the OP is only 21 inches deep.

It drives me crazy.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Was looking around Wayfair and thought this looked nice, but any recommendations would be helpful. I guess you can also post a picture of your setup as well so I can get some inspiration.
www.wayfair.com

Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More | Wayfair

Shop Wayfair for A Zillion Things Home across all styles and budgets. 5,000 brands of furniture, lighting, cookware, and more. Free Shipping on most items.
Landing+Desk.jpg
Holy crap this is exactly the desk design I was looking for. Enough room for a big monitor, a PC, Laptop, Switch Dock, PS2, PS3 and PS5.

jadjei

Nov 23, 2017
I have no pics of my setup and desk because it's trash 😂.

But, I would go with a standing desk, if you tend to do desk work/work from home. I wish I went with that instead of an L shaped desk.

Oct 29, 2017

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
All that said, I'm still quite happy about some things on my build. Like using a countertop for my desk.

saeljan-countertop-oak-effect-laminate__0808056_pe770665_s5.jpg

I got the SÄLJAN countertop with 188x65x3.8cm and bought the legs separately. That size was amazing for me and my gaming stuff. Now that my wife and I work on it, it has less space, still, I have my side with 2 notebooks, a wide monitor and a Switch behind it. And the countertop is extremely solid.

The bad part of it is that you might need at least 5 legs (6 is better) instead of 4. Because it is not recommend to have 80cm or more of unsustained space

My setup is this with sawhorse legs and I love it. I work in my modified garage and it's super comfy.

OP
OP
Demon Lizardman
Oct 25, 2017
Whelp, my desk came today and the packaging was so damaged, the insides got all scraped up, so I had to go to UPS to return it and order a new one. I even saw the Amazon delivery guy drop it by accident...