• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Bro. Bro. Whatcha saying when 64 exists?

I find the 64 on rails gameplay to be.....outdated.

SF zero cemented these feelings too.

Im glad theyre changing star fox series as i love the characters but the on rails stuff needs to go away.

But I'd wish it wasn't racing. And it was more of a 3rd person shooter like the last of us or resident evil with current gen 3rd person shooting mechanics over the shoulders kinda like assult but you know modern controls. With a gripping story that's still whimsical

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I find the 64 on rails gameplay to be.....outdated.

SF zero cemented these feelings too.

Im glad theyre changing star fox series as i love the characters but the on rails stuff needs to go away.

But I'd wish it wasn't racing. And it was more of a 3rd person shooter like the last of us or resident evil with current gen 3rd person shooting mechanics over the shoulders kinda like assult but you know modern controls. With a gripping story that's still whimsical

Assault was the natrual evolution for how Star Fox should go.

Levels designed around switching between vehicle and ground gameplay, a stronger focus on the ground focused shooter elements, story with a non andross threat, new characters that added interesting layers to the cast/redefined old characters. Still had a focus on high scores and occasionally had the classic style star fox levels when they made sense.

Had we gotten an Assault 2 that smoothed out some of the control and balance issues of the first game, you'd have a truly amazing star fox game. You could even borrow some of the ideas from Command to give better control of how your ai allies tackled objectives. Sadly it seems like we'll never get that game.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
So guessing the announcement and reveal will come early next week - probably around the time Mania Adventures Episode 3 drops. I think we can expect more teasing come Monday and then hopefully an announcement/reveal trailer around then. Guessing Sega wants to debut this before E3 so Sonic Racing isn't drowned in the ocean of E3 announcements come June.

I guess this should be expected given Sega has revealed Sonic games around Spring time for years. Excited to see the game in motion.

Oct 27, 2017
It's likely the racing game, but what I'm waiting for is the hopefully eventual Switch-exclusive Sonic game. It's been tradition on every Nintendo system to get an exclusive:

GameCube:
- Sonic Mega Collection (was ported as SMC+ two years later)

Wii:
- Sonic and the Secret Rings
- Sonic and the Black Knight
- Sonic Colors

Wii U:
- Sonic Lost World (was ported to PC two years later without multiplayer and the Nintendo DLC)
- Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

Game Boy Advance:
- Sonic Advance (was ported to N-Gage and other mobile devices over time later)
- Sonic Advance 2
- Sonic Advance 3
- Sonic Battle
- Sonic Pinball Party

Nintendo DS:
- Sonic Rush
- Sonic Rush Adventure
- Sonic Colors

Nintendo 3DS:
- Sonic Lost World
- Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal
- Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

And of course all five Mario & Sonic Olympic titles based on Beijing 2008, Vancouver 2010, London 2012, Sochi 2014, and Rio 2016.

Switch is due for one next. Question is, what.

Honestly think we might hear something at Nintendo's E3 or something, it really is only a matter of time. Also they'll probably need one soon to accomodate for the inevitable fact that Sonic will be in Smash 5 lol.

I don't think it necessarily has to be something big though.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I worry they'll pull far too much from Modern Sonic than Classic.

Except for Green Hill Zone they're gonna cram that one in no matter what.

What are you talking about? First off, they're most likely gonna put Classic Sonic as a separate character because Sega still likes to act as if he's a completely different character.

And if they take stuff from Mario Kart 8, you'll know we'll be getting Classic Tails, Classic Amy, Classic Cream, and Classic Rouge. :P

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly think we might hear something at Nintendo's E3 or something, it really is only a matter of time. Also they'll probably need one soon to accomodate for the inevitable fact that Sonic will be in Smash 5 lol.

I don't think it necessarily has to be something big though.

I think a Switch-tailor-made Sonic game that actually uses the Switch's capabilities, but GOOD would be very ideal.

You've got a variety of tools at hand; the Joy-Cons, their gyro, motion, HD Rumble, and even the IR camera could all be used in creative ways. They just need someone with real vision and creativity to pull it off, or else risk having another Sonic Lost World where the Wii U's features were just very "throw shit on the wall and see what sticks" with little to no thought put into them. They also came down to where they thought "can they" instead of "should they". The features used for the Wisps were so bad they had to patch in button controls for most of them after release.

Honestly I think Yuji Naka would've been absolutely the man for the job. It's sad he's at Square Enix now, making it even more unlikely he'll ever work on Sonic ever again. At least at Prope he could've done so. Hell Prope was founded with partial funding by Sega and was initially partnered with them on Let's Tap and Let's Catch.

Arzest would be the other ideal dev with their very close ties to Nintendo and also co-headed by Naoto Ohshima, who many seem to forget he wasn't just Sonic's co-creator and main character designer, but directed hits such as Sonic CD, NiGHTS into Dreams, and Burning Rangers.

An Arzest-developed Sonic game with Nintendo backing it has been a dream of mine. Closest was literally Mario & Sonic Rio 2016 3DS which was co-developed by Arzest with Spike Chunsoft.

No time like the present.