• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how this is gonna review seeing as the most recent Souls like didn't fare so well with most critics (Darksiders 3).

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
DeficientFormalArgali-max-14mb.gif

QuerulousCharmingArctichare-max-14mb.gif

AcceptableRegularHartebeest-size_restricted.gif

NiftyCompleteGannet-size_restricted.gif

Well I didn't know what Ashen was and now I'm sold!

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sweet! we have been excited over the co-op aspect of it since the initial reveal trailer.

As a reminder, it is a Game Pass title!

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I can still remember the original trailer that sold me on this game years ago...

PbqUcz5.gif

Can't wait to get my hands on this.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If the release is really december 7 we can play it probably tomorrow already with Gamepass. With the switch to New Zealand what works with Gamepass.

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My scalp is just scabs and bad dreams at this stage because Game Pass keeps snatching my wig.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
RecentIllChameleon-size_restricted.gif

DeficientOrangeAsiaticlesserfreshwaterclam-max-14mb.gif

SpottedRightBoar-size_restricted.gif
FamiliarBoilingApatosaur-size_restricted.gif

Last two gifs are more later in the game and when you are higher level and upgraded etc.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Its probably gonna be on PS4 in the future. It was also a ID@xbox first until Annapurna picked up the game.
But the deal of Gamepass and play anywhere stayed even after the new deal.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
First time a hear about this game, alas I'm skeptical when I read this:
It's a brutal open world; you're just living in it.
Read: no guiding thread and sharp, unambiguous narrative? What exactly is the purpose of my character? "Do whatever you want"-open-world games aren't really my cup of tea. What exactly can I expect?

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After all that? Just dump into the middle of the holiday season with no fan fair? Why?
Maybe it's not very good?

Honestly, I feel like that has been the pattern with most shadow dropped games. They do it because they know it creates impulse purchases, and no reviews are out there yet to warn people...

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
First time a hear about this game, alas I'm skeptical when I read this:

Read: no guiding thread and sharp, unambiguous narrative? What exactly is the purpose of my character? "Do whatever you want"-open-world games aren't really my cup of tea. What exactly can I expect?

:)

Ashen's world is as fantastical as it is mysterious, and light plays a big part in the game's story and mechanics. The Ashen are a race of phoenix-esque Godlike beings, composed of light. It was the death of an Ashen that led to light appearing in the game's world for the first time, allowing new races to evolve and appear, including man. As the Ashen died, light left the game world, plunging it into an age of darkness. Dark creatures that thrive in the gloom emerged and led the grand cities of mankind to ruin.

At the beginning of the game, the gargantuan Ashen begins to reawaken, bringing back the first sparks of light mankind has seen in millennia. Teaming up with a mystical blacksmith named Bataran, you take it upon yourself to help ignite the Ashen's rebirth, while fighting back the dark forces who would see it destroyed.

Ashen takes place in a large open world comprised of various types of landscapes and ancient architecture. Much of Ashen's world lies in apocalyptic ruins, where the surviving humans band together in violent tribes to face off scavengers and dangerous predators. Throughout the game, you will traverse dense forests, stalk the ruins of ancient empires, traverse treacherous swamps, and dive through dark caves. Ashen's game world isn't all bleak and horror, though, the game has a surprisingly varied color pallet, which should satisfy all sorts of moods and tastes.

As you travel throughout Ashen's sizeable world, you'll find yourself doing quests and dungeon runs for various NPCs, who make up Ashen's eclectic (now, fully-voiced) cast of characters. Each one will also return to your home base, eager to take up your cause, adding progression to the story, your (custom-made) character, and the facilities available in your fledgling community.

Your journey in Ashen begins with the reclamation of a settlement, where you and your trusty companion can begin work restoring the Ashen to its former glory. As you explore the game world, you'll encounter a large cast of characters that each have their own missions and motivations. Once you have made them happy, they'll return to your settlement and begin to add to it, bringing their own skills and facilities to your base such as crafting, and fast travel, all while building up their own homes. By the end of the game, you should have a sprawling, and hearty village to call home. Each quest you do, whether as part of the main story or one of the more light-hearted side missions will also grant bonuses to your health and stamina pool, granting you new gear as you progress to the end of your ultimate goal. But the road to get there is filled with danger.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
That would be fantastic if true! Would be a great winter vacation game. :)

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm imagining an Ashens game sort of like Retro Game Challenge but made up of send-ups of shitty ZX Spectrum and pound shop handheld games.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Pretty smart move if they release it after TGA. It will attract lots of attention and insta buys,I really hope it's a good game too

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Don't ask me why but for some reason I was thinking this was a lacrosse/cricket game and I was absolutely bewildered why there were so many posts in a thread about it.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Been following the game for a while now, still somewhat skeptical but if the reviews aren't too bad I'll have to try it out on pc.