• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
YTMND was an early "web 2.0" site that let anybody create a page pairing an image or GIF with a looping sound file and vote on their favorites. By 2006, it had become a mecca for user-generated web humor, a forerunner of Vine and an incubator for weird-ass memes back when "memes" were largely lolcat photos. As YouTube and social media took over the web, it faded into irrelevance. Now, one year after closing new account creation, the site has disappeared from the web entirely.

Know Your Meme
TVTropes
2006 Wired account: A Brief History of YTMND
2016 Gizmodo retrospective: Who Killed YTMND?
Archived (poorly) by the Library of Congress
It's also been archived by Archive Team (tweet), though no word on when/if it will be made publicly accessible.

Some of the top sites of all time (YouTube links where possible, Archive.org otherwise):

New Talent on 60 Minutes
Paris Hilton Doesn't Change Facial Expressions (KYM page)
Blue Ball Machine (KYM page)
Batman Ualuealuealeuale
The Pi Song
What is love?
The Un-Funny Truth About Scientology
Safety Not Guaranteed (later a major motion picture!)
Cosby Bebop
HOLY SHIT IT'S A DINOSAUR
What you see when you die (catonakeyboardinspace)
lol, internet

Some of my personal favorite pages:

Free Cow!
2001: A Baby Odyssey
Stupid Sexy Flanders
Darth Vader gets his Christmas wish
Stephen Hawking's Time Machine
Text-to-speech generator fails at life
MacGyver saves the cast of Lost
Buttering Obama
Artemis

Anybody else here a YTMND veteran? Share your favorite sites!

UPDATE 3/16: I happened upon Max Goldberg's Reddit account last night, and apparently the shutdown was entirely unplanned. As in, he wasn't even aware it was offline until somebody sent him a news article about it several days afterward. He also PM'd me his thinking when asked:

It was unintentional but also maybe it's just time. I haven't worked on it seriously in almost a decade which left it vulnerable. I sort of want to make it a read-only archive and update it to not rely on flash. I haven't made any decisions what to do yet though.
FWIW, I suggested it might be better to keep it offline and rely on the various archives to preserve it, because at this point the only real "community" still active there were alt-right edgelords and mentally unstable people unhealthily obsessed with obscure internal drama.

Also, he's since updated the site with this message:

rip db

YTMND has suffered a catostrophic failure. Whether or not the site will ever be back is still undecided. I am actively working on data recovery, but who really knows what the future holds. Join the chat to reminisce, or if you have concerns about the direction in which your life is heading, feel free to send an email to support @ ytmnd.com (and expect to be ignored).

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Back when we commonly called memes "fads".

Yet ironically, despite that name, they had far more staying popwer compared to many of the memes that pass us by today.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Oh no. Goddammit it sucks that it disappeared just like that :(
There was some real good stuff on there.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually introduced to a lot of songs I rather like from various YTMND sites ha ha. Especially 80s tracks.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
I don't know how popular they ever got, but I loved those "medieval" ytmnds all riffing off eachother with the same art generator and the same baroque music. There was one for every major meme on the site, but recreated in Old English.

Such a weird site. It definitely informed how memes are passed around nowadays.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Truly one of the great pioneers of internet meme humor

RIP

Oct 25, 2017
The only ytmkd ever made was a pic of Superman hitting Wonder woman with whoop that trick from the classic hustle n flow playing ..sad times indeed.

Also ytmkd is a name I haven't heard, you know
the rest

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Ah man. RIP. You brought me so many laughs. I don't think memes would be the same today without YTMND.

A tribute to my all time favorite:

Ualuealuealeuale.gif

Burbank

Sep 9, 2018
Pangea
I don't know how popular they ever got, but I loved those "medieval" ytmnds all riffing off eachother with the same art generator and the same baroque music. There was one for every major meme on the site, but recreated in Old English.

Such a weird site. It definitely informed how memes are passed around nowadays.

What doth love?