• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I was just thinking about them recently, and remembered laughing my head off to an old Ernest Borgnine gem I found.

RIP.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Truly a sad day for all of us old internet meme lovers. So many hours wasted in my childhood browsing YTMND pages for what felt like non-stop content.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
God, if only we could go back in time and warn everyone what was coming.

Meme culture is a cancer.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
oreally.jpg

LOL!

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
RIP sweet prince.

Ah man. RIP. You brought me so many laughs. I don't think memes would be the same today without YTMND.

A tribute to my all time favorite:

Ualuealuealeuale.gif
To this day this is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. And I do know it's a real song. Same is true for "lol, internet". Cosby Bebop is also great just because of the work back then.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
what is with this weird revisionist history? i've seen multiple people today say something along the lines of "rip ytmnd, before memes were called memes".
that's 100% not true
the term meme was totally used on the internet in the early 2000s

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Also, I played Chrono Trigger after I knew about the Brian Peppers YTMND. Once that fucking music started playing it just didn't sound right for the situation in the game since it was The Brian Peppers theme in my mind.

This was me as well, kinda. I'd played CT before, but somehow missed the caveman dance at the festival and hadn't reached Ayla's time period yet. Imagine my surprise when I learned it was from Chrono.

So wrong.

Remember when Ebaum's World sent YTMND a legal letter than literally had "LOL" in it?

Literally the only thing I remember about that letter, LOL.

Oct 28, 2017
Sharing my favourite ones while grinding with others on Runescape and getting kicked out the game since I didn't have a strong enough dial-up connection to handle loading the page and the game at the same time.

Priceless times.

More archived YTMNDs + how to search

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Copy-pasting from the dupe thread

Oh man, I was huge into YTMND back in the day. Downloaded like, 10 volumes of the "official" soundtracks and was introduced to so much good music. I still think the alternate universe phase (PTKFGS - Punch the Keys for God's Sake) was legit hilarious, and I still remember the entirety of the Eric Bauman dramatic readings.

Siivagunner has kind of replaced the hole in my heart that YTMND (and youtube poops) left. It's in a pretty similar vein of humor. Even has some of the same people, like Mowtendoo (who did Batman ulieulieulie and contributes to some Siivagunner stuff)

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
For me the most memorable types of YTMND's were the ones that had consistent music. The secret Nazi ones with that one woman singing the techno song, the Call On Me face ones, etc. I think I also learned about Deja Vu and some Touhou songs that still come up in plenty of memes. Great fun. Also I had no idea Motendoo did the Batman one. So prolific.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017

Best one. I'm reposting it.

=`(

And more history:

'You supposed to be up cooking breakfast'😂😂

Last edited:

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Here's a Legends of the Hidden Temple-themed one that's a collection of various YTMND memes. I distinctly recall one with '05 memes that I enjoyed, although I'm assuming that's also lost.

Last edited:

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man I have so many amazing memories here. I checked in on it about a year or so ago, and yeah the last post was from years before that from the owner talking about it's struggles, and the entire site just seemed to be frozen. Just someone paying for the domain I guess. Sad to see it finally go, but I know after a while it was inevitable. It was basically a time capsule of the internet. Nothing needs to come like it again, but also nothing will ever be like it again. Thanks YTMND.

EDIT : Oh it's under maintenance? Hmmm..

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
yeah maybe let's not post a video that includes an uncensored use of the n-word ("We didn't build this website" video referencing racist YTMND meme "... stole my bike").

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons I loved Vine was because it reminded me a lot of the type of dumb shit you saw on YTMND.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to scream a Nollercoaster impression before bed tonight. A sad day on the internet and piece of my childhood dying. Edit: I just realized I was 21 during peak ytmnd, I'm officially old.

Last edited:

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Oh man, YTMND?

giphy.gif

I still have all the ytmnd soundtrack releases somewhere....

...I hope

Dude, those were amazing. But the best thing about them were the promos that they cut that announced them. They were so well done - like professional quality. Always got me hyped.

You are now remembering when YTMND found the 'Mystery Song'

Oh man. Legit, this is an AMAZING sample of how crowdsourcing can achieve amazing things. Of course, the best part was the profound disappointment everyone had when they heard the entire song and realized that everything after the intro kinda sucked.

Shutdown unintentional, might stay dead though
OP
OP
Jordan117

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
Plot twist: I happened upon Max Goldberg's Reddit account last night, and apparently the shutdown was entirely unplanned. As in, he wasn't even aware it was offline until somebody sent him a news article about it several days afterward. He also PM'd me his thinking when asked:

It was unintentional but also maybe it's just time. I haven't worked on it seriously in almost a decade which left it vulnerable. I sort of want to make it a read-only archive and update it to not rely on flash. I haven't made any decisions what to do yet though.
FWIW, I suggested it might be better to keep it offline and rely on the various archives to preserve it, because at this point the only real "community" still active there were alt-right edgelords and mentally unstable people unhealthily obsessed with obscure internal drama.

Also, he's since updated the site with this message:

rip db

YTMND has suffered a catostrophic failure. Whether or not the site will ever be back is still undecided. I am actively working on data recovery, but who really knows what the future holds. Join the chat to reminisce, or if you have concerns about the direction in which your life is heading, feel free to send an email to support @ ytmnd.com (and expect to be ignored).

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Oh man. Legit, this is an AMAZING sample of how crowdsourcing can achieve amazing things. Of course, the best part was the profound disappointment everyone had when they heard the entire song and realized that everything after the intro kinda sucked.
That's actually happened before. There was a commercial that used the first 20 seconds of a song, and it suddenly got really popular on iTunes. Then suddenly not popular, because the cool intro was the only part of the song was good, and the rest of the song was completely different and awful. I wish I could remember what song it was.